Panart armed pinnace.

I am instructed to use wax on "frames" that are to be removed after planking, modified and then replaced. I am having trouble understanding the process here. Do I glue the planks as normal allowing the wax barrier to prevent adhesion to the "frames" or is there something else that I am missing?

I have been advised to use beeswax. How liberally does this need to be applied. is it put on cold or brushed on in its liquid state?

I have tried to think this through but the whole process seems odd to me. I know it must work as this model has been built successfully before. I am probably being a bit thick and could do with a kick up the bum.....or some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

It may be that the instructions are not clear, rather than your mind! Any wax will inhibit adhesion of glue. Presumably this is so that nothing will stick to these 'frames'. If they need to be re-installed later, you will need to de-wax them or, once again, they will not stick. The easiest way to remove wax residue is with isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). 

You can use liquid wax or solid. Even a thin film will do the trick.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you druxey. 

I will go ahead with your advice. I think that part of my problem is with the whole concept of triple planking; what sticks to which and when! It appears to me that where the first planking is inhibited by the wax it will simply depend on it's own rigidity to stay put. I imagine that once I begin to add the second planking all will be revealed and, at that point, I will have learned something new.

If there is anything else you think I ought to know about this please tell me.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Frankie makes a good point: plastic film is less messy than wax! Provided that it can be applied where you want it.

If it's a triple planking over a framework that you are doing, i assume that the first planks will be pre-bent and edge-glued to each other to hold them in place.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Ah, I see! Pre bent and edge glued. Now why did the instructions not mention that? I had sort of assumed that something like that must take place but without your confirmation that would have been a leap of faith beyond my present level of experience. 

Thank you druxey and Jersey City Frankie for your help.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

It's too bad some instructions make assumptions of the reader....

If there are other puzzling issues that come up, someone on this site will be able to enlighten you, I'm sure!

Thanks again.

The assumptions were made in very bad ex Italian English to further cloud the issues. I mean no offence to the Italian nation!

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

: