Chris-Craft 1956 Capri by Cleat – FINISHED - Dumas - Scale 1/24 – My first build

For my first wooden boat kit I chose the Dumas Chris-Craft 1956 Capri.  I wanted a modest kit to learn the basics and the kit offers a good introduction.  I really like wooden inboard boats – they have a special sound.  

As a woodworking hobbyist I’m discovering that I’m not used to working with small parts.  Since this is my first build, I am including my mistakes. 

The Dumas kit is complete, they say there are more than enough planks (I have extra pieces after planking).  The drawing is very helpful and the instructions provide enough instruction to complete the kit (I’d like to see more tips).  I use the plastic base as a place to store the project as I work on it.  I’ll replace the plastic base with a wooden one that emulates a slow wake. 

Chris-Craft-100.jpg

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

The frame assembly is straight forward but I managed to make a mistake. 

Mistake #1

I didn’t fully seat one of the bulkheads (I discovered the problem when I stated planking).  I had to sand down the top and add material to the bottom. 

Chris-Craft-103.jpg

I have never bent wood before so I found a video to find out what to do.  I soaked the ends of a couple pieces in warm water for about 20 minutes then used an iron to work the bend.  I inadvertently creased the bend with the edge of the iron but that turned out to help the bend.  I’d clamp the planks until they dried.  Then I’d glue and clamp them again.  I noticed that I created different arcs on each plank and I ended up with uneven planking (yellow glue is a structural component in my build).  

Chris-Craft-110.jpg

Chris-Craft-111.jpg

Mistake #3

I got a bit over zealous when sanding and shaping the bow.  I should have snuck up on it and kept the dark edge intact. 

I reshaped the bow using the piece from the keel cutout.  The bow of a real boat has a bulbous nose.  I didn’t get it completely right; I was concerned how the mahogany could be applied to the shape.

Chris-Craft-115.jpg

Chris-Craft-125.jpg

Mistake #4

I didn’t follow the instructions.  I should have planked the sides with mahogany before the bottom.

I thought my experience with the sub planks would make the mahogany planking easier, I was wrong.  I thought the planks would follow the contour of the hull but they wanted to change direction.  I realized I was thinking in terms of a cylinder, not a compound curve.  I chose to install the top plank first to ensure one plank looked right.  I kludged together the remaining planks.  I’m embarrassed to show this picture. 

Chris-Craft-131.jpg

I used thinned boiled linseed oil (50%) to darken the wood to help hide my mistakes.  The BLO also penetrates the wood.  I used scrap pieces to fill in gaps and collected saw dust.  I used the BLO create a slurry with the saw dust to also fill the gaps.

Chris-Craft-133.jpg

The instructions suggested using parchment paper to glue the deck pieces together, that worked well.  I assembled the cockpit panels and mounted the deck. 

Mistake #5

I sanded the deck too much and removed some of the plank etching.  I used a woodburning tool with an Exacto head to reapply the plank etching.

Mistake #6

I installed the floor of the cockpit at an angle. I discovered that when I test fitted the seat.

Customization #1

I planked the transom because when I broke the stock piece because it didn’t fit properly and I didn’t like the look.  I also added a light piece to emulate a detail a real boat has. 

Chris-Craft-138.jpg

I switched to a thinned Tru Oil (50%) to build up the finish.  I wet sanded the mahogany with the Tru Oil to create a slurry to help fill gaps.  I’m applying many, many, many coats of the Tru Oil to build up the finish. 

This is as far as I have gotten.  Next up is fitting the seats and I'm trying to decide how to approach adding coaming around the cockpit.   I need to get some chrome paint for the hardware.

Chris-Craft-170.jpg

Chris-Craft-173.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the rub rails, bumpers, and coning; it was messy.

Mistake # 7

I didn’t read the manual.  The step describing the application of the half round styrene rod material should be done before finishing the wood.  I didn’t do that.

After making a CA glue mess on the finish and my fingers I sanded down to wood to apply the half round styrene rod material.  I use CA glue to finish wood when turning pens; CA glue doesn’t stick to the pen part bags so I used a couple bags to help position the material before I hit it with accelerator to instantly cure the glue.  Once I came up with a better process, I managed to glue the rub rail on the edge of the deck and the bumpers. 

The perfectionist in me wasn’t happy with parts of the job but the practical side said it was good enough.  I’m not willing to try to fix my mistakes because I might make it worse (which is what I should do for the learning experience) but I don’t want to spend unlimited time on the task.  

The instructions say to install the cockpit coning on top of the deck.  The real boat has it on the inside edge and I decided to give it a try.  I used a hair dryer to see if the coning would take the inside turn, it worked. 

Next up is to paint the rub rail and bumper chrome and paint the cockpit coning the seat color. 

I’m trying to decide if I want to paint the bottom.  All of the real boats have the bottoms painted (I assume for water protection reasons) and the color is mostly copper but some use the color of the interior.  I’m also trying to determine what color to paint the water line.  White is the most popular but the interior color is used sometimes; I'm considering red if I don’t paint the bottom. 

Chris-Craft-178.jpg

Chris-Craft-179.jpg

When I built my Dumas Runabout years ago, I painted the bottom a dark red.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 4/23/2020 at 11:52 AM, Cleat said:

Mistake #4

I didn’t follow the instructions.  I should have planked the sides with mahogany before the bottom.

I thought my experience with the sub planks would make the mahogany planking easier, I was wrong.  I thought the planks would follow the contour of the hull but they wanted to change direction.  I realized I was thinking in terms of a cylinder, not a compound curve.  I chose to install the top plank first to ensure one plank looked right.  I kludged together the remaining planks.  I’m embarrassed to show this picture. 

Chris-Craft-131.jpgI’ve made most/all these mistakes many, many times. The boat looks great! What is tru Oil?...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

1 minute ago, Moab said:

What is tru Oil?...Moab

Tru Oil is used on gun stocks and knife handles.  I used it on a couple of fish filet knife kits and I'm working on an Ulu knife. 

(In the picture you can see that I collected the saw dust on the instructions which I used to make a slurry to fill gaps). 

I have limited experience but the Virginia Armed Sloop was my first challenge. There are a number of build logs on that ship (on this forum) so you might want to check them. Stay Safe...Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

• 4 weeks later...

I painted the water line red and the rub rail bumpers chrome.  Masking the areas was trickier than I expected.  I repainted the water line three times and it got kinda thick.   I also painted the bright parts but I haven't mounted them yet.  I used the mirror chrome that usedtosail recommended and that stuff looks pretty good. 

I haven't figured out how to deal with the chrome trim decal for the windshield.  The decal is gray, I'm considering painting it chrome but I don't see how I can work with it I paint it.  I might look into foil.  I forgot the foot steps for the deck so I have to work those too.

Chris-Craft-180.jpg

Chris-Craft-182.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Working with the small parts was hard, I'm not accustomed to working with small parts and I haven't mastered using tweezers yet.  The windshield was a bear to do and I'm not very happy with the way it turned out.  The real boat has an odd bulbous feature on the bow which I tried to replicate but failed.  I wanted the base to emulate a wake, I cut two pieces of oak at an angle and glued them together.

I got frustrated several times during this build but I decided to see it through, I wanted to know if I could build it and to what level of quality I'm at (I need improvement).  I misplaced the flag staffs, the bow light doesn't have a hole for a shaft, I found a piece of the material so I'll add a flag staff to the rear.

My next kit will be the Planking kit I've seen in this forum.  I am trying to decide what kind of kit I want to try after that. 

This is a fine boat, very nice especially considering it is your first wooden model.

Beside kits there is also the dark side, you could of course scratch build anything you like. A simple boat at a somewhat larger scale could be lots of fun and also educational.

You should be very proud of your accomplishment. It’s a beauty...Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

Nice job on your Chris-Craft model.  You have accomplished something that a lot of first time wooden boat modelers do not do and that is you finished your model.  Congratulations!

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat