HM Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

53 minutes ago, BobG said:

Thanks Chris for your reply.

I haven't worked much with white metal so I respect your choice for using wood. The grapnels on the Medway Longboat by Syren were also made from wood as were things like the the pintles and gudgeons. I was able to make them look more like metal by painting them with Vallejo black acrylic and then using some Doc O'Briens Rusty Brown Weathering Powder lightly on them. That burnished them to look quite like metal. So I think this would work well for the anchors on the Flirt too.

I have actually used iron pigment on them since painting too.

So there will be no Flirt build logs, James has set the bar too high 😂🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this will be my last log update before I post the finished photos in a few weeks.

I'm now on the rigging stage, but thought I'd keep you up to date with what to expect of HMS Flirt, when the kit is released.

Flirt will come with an optional launch, except for the Master Shipwright version which will have it as standard. This is built on an upside down jig and planked into 1mm x 2mm pear strips and then fitted out, including anchors, rudder, pikes, oars etc. I admit I loathe making these little things, but I'm happy with the result! The launch will only temporarily sat on the model as it will be removed for the kit instructions and box art.

131c.jpg

142d.jpg

143d.jpg

Now it's time to concentrate my efforts on the lower mast tops. These are different in size, so it's important not to get them mixed up, as I almost did!

144a.jpg

146b.jpg

All mast sections are now tapered, squared-off etc. and then test fitted. 

147.jpg

151.jpg

More woodwork as the yards and booms are made. When finished, all parts are coated with polyurethane varnish and then masked before areas are sprayed in Plastikote Black. A further coat of varnish is applied over the black areas so they have the same sheen as the bare timber. Mast bands etc. are added using black cartridge paper. The masts and yards can finally be fitted out with blocks.

155b.jpg

DSC_3383.jpg

DSC_3393.jpg

DSC_3394.jpg

DSC_3396.jpg

Rigging begins with the bowsprit, spritsail boom and boomkins. This differs a lot to the Speedy kit. Note also there is no flying jibboom on Flirt. There are different, significant changes between Flirt as she's depicted in her early rigging style, and the later rig depicted in the Speedy kit. The masts are then drilled to accept the yard pins which will help keep everything in place whilst I rig. The yards are only temporarily fitted for this post. 

The masts are then glued into position, pending the shrouds being fitted.

rig1.jpg

show.jpg

Catch you when I've rigged her...

😆

47 minutes ago, mugje said:

It would be great if that nice little launch could be bought as a seperate kit so you can use it on different ships. It think there is a good market for!

Great progress on the Flirt! Curious at the end result!

Maybe @chris watton can verify about the launch?

Lovely model, and sits comfortably on my worktop.....unlike the Victory which will eventually sit there!

I really like this ship. Is the approximate release date still late July or August? 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

26 minutes ago, James H said:

No pressure then 😆

...the MSW posse is getting restless!! 😎

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, James H said:

No pressure then 😆

Here we are...just sitting and waiting...money in hand...just need James to finish... just sitting and waiting...😂🤣😂

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is it folks, it's all done. It's taken me just under 11 weeks from start to finish, and that's around 10 days longer than I planned, simply because I've had to re-learn rigging again. The last time I did a fully-rigged warship was about 13yrs ago, so I was just a little rusty. I rigged this model in about 12 or 13 days, in total. I actually re-learned swear words that I'd also long forgotten.

I have cut corners, there's no doubt, but that's more through necessity as I know Chris needed to get this kit sorted. Ordering the boxes is by far one of the longest jobs when it comes to wait times. But I can tell you that the model will now be available in early August (tentatively), and in standard and Master Shipwright editions.

Please ignore the strange rear shroud line in this first photo. They don't cross. It was just me moving blocks etc. 

DSC_3429.jpg-(merged).jpg

DSC_3449.jpg

DSC_3454.jpg

DSC_3468.jpg

DSC_3475.jpg

DSC_3478.jpg

DSC_3482.jpg

And here is the finished model, in various angles. Remember that the launch is only in one shot for effect as that will only be included in the Master Shipwright edition, and not shown on the box art.

DSC_3484.jpg

DSC_3488.jpg

DSC_3489.jpg

DSC_3491.jpg

DSC_3493.jpg

DSC_3495.jpg

And here's the manual's cover...

manual.jpg

For me now, it's a very short break before I plough into the Amati Victory which I've just been told is being kitted for me at this moment. Hope you liked the Flirt build! I know it's abridged, but you can see the full manual in the kit ;)  

10 minutes ago, James H said:

I actually re-learned swear words that I'd also long forgotten

I'm was getting worried that the Flirt was being forgotten with in the Victory. I want to Flirt around as soon as I've finished Lady Eleanor.

Since the Victory has a bit more rigging then the Flirt and if your worried about not having enough swear words, I'd be happy to translate your list into to french.

Am waiting with a great deal of expectation, as I am sure are many others, on your Victory build.

Je vous souhaite la meilleure construction possible.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

Beautiful build, James! This may well be my first ship with guns.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Such amazing work James.  When I do my build log how about I just use your photos since I can’t match your quality🤣😂

Do you mind my asking, is building And photographing models your work, or are you just this good in your spare time?

Regards,

Glenn

9 minutes ago, BobG said:

be my first ship with guns.

Couldn’t choose better for your first, my only issue with this and Speedy is the historically accurate but very tiny guns.  I hope you also put Cheerful on your list Bob.

Regards,

Glenn

12 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I hope you also put Cheerful on your list Bob.

The Cheerful is on the list at some point, Glenn, but I would need some more tools...a table saw at the very least.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

9 minutes ago, BobG said:

...a table saw

That’s really all you need for Cheerful, but you do need that.  Chose the Byrnes saw when you’re ready, best modeling tool I own.  

Regards,

Glenn

44 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Do you mind my asking, is building And photographing models your work, or are you just this good in your spare time?

Pretty much.

I've been doing book and magazine work for about 10yrs in a lot of international titles, but that was in plastic modelling. I just needed to adapt it to wooden ships, which takes up far more space 😆

You're quite handy at doing it - amazing work. More amazing is how little time it takes you to do it!

Regards,

Glenn

OK, I have just finished the Flirt box art, ready to be sent to the printers.

I now have to wait until I have the plans, manual and boxes done for me.

For the Master Shipwright version of Flirt, I have decided to ditch the maple veneer deck due to high scrap rates, so have ordered 1mm thick maple sheet instead. As soon as that arrives, I can do the MS decks. Everything else is done, laser cut wise, and waiting to go into the boxes...

Flirt Box Art.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Ok, i have to ask Anja if I can get my pocketmoney that i get each month  I can get it for the whole year!

August......mmmm first vacation and then 🙃.   
It’s a beauty Chris!

Sjors