H.M. Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - FINISHED

Beautiful ship. Speedy might be famous, but Flirt is much better looking.

But i am still more interested in that mystery project i suspect to be some small pre-revolutionary french ship (corvette or very small frigate): https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20737-chris-watton-and-vanguard-models-news-and-updates/?do=findComment&comment=695838 .

1 hour ago, Strata said:

Beautiful ship. Speedy might be famous, but Flirt is much better looking.

But i am still more interested in that mystery project i suspect to be some small pre-revolutionary french ship (corvette or very small frigate): https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20737-chris-watton-and-vanguard-models-news-and-updates/?do=findComment&comment=695838 .

I will update you on that later this week, it does look pretty cool!

ETA - Both versions of Flirt will be available to pre order very soon, as everything is almost ready and sorted, after a very stressful couple of weeks organising printing and new size boxes....

Standard version Flirt is already high spec, with laser cut pearwood and pearwood planking, Keel and bulkheads are 3mm MDF, and lower 2mm deck and stern frames are 2mm birch ply (the 2mm deck was initially meant to be done in 'Ceiba ply', but I decided this material was utter trash, and changed to much stronger 2mm birch ply) . There will be 2mm single blocks for rigging the cannon carriages if you so desire.

Master Shipwright version is crazy spec, but will look fantastic, DelF's version of Speedy looks wonderful. Flirt MS will have laser cut keel and bulkheads in the highest quality birch ply, all wooden laser cut parts in 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm boxwood, second planking in boxwood too. Machined pearwood blocks as standard PLUS 90+ 2.5mm 2 hole pear wood blocks for rigging the cannon carriages.  This version also comes with the 18' cutter as standard, with 1x2mm boxwood planking.

Both versions will have 100 metre reels of Gutterman 0.1mm thread, so there's more than enough for rigging the cannon as well as masts and yards.

I changed my mind about the box very late, last week in fact. I am now having the same type as the small Fifie and Zulu, but a larger internal length (520x300x90mm), so the planking strips fit in better, plus I could have two labels for the boxes, one for the standard and one for the MS version.

Flirt Box Art 520x300 Master Shipwright.jpg

Flirt Box Art 520x300 standard.jpg

What does exactly "Limited Edition" mean on the Master Shipwright version? Will you only produce a limited number of these kits and, once they are sold, no more will be available in the future?

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

You’re still using a harder cardboard outer box for shipping?

cant wait to get my master Shipwright version. 

Yes, I will not ship a kit without the box. I have to wait until I get the boxes so I can measure the area and then get the sleeves made.

1 minute ago, BobG said:

What does "Limited Edition" actually mean on the Master Shipwright version? Will you only produce a limited number of these kits and, once they are sold, no more will be available in the future?

Yes, it means exactly that. The materials used are so expensive it can be nothing else but limited edition.

More may be available in the future if I decide to invest in the materials again, but not for a good while.

18 minutes ago, BobG said:

What are the main differences between pearwood and boxwood? Is one more desirable to work with than the other in ship modeling and, if so, why? Thanks.

Boxwood is almost 4 times the cost of even pearwood. It is much closer grained and very strong. The colour is different, lighter than pear wood. Boxwood is used a lot for delicate carving because it doesn't split like 'normal' woods. Flirt MS version has 6 laser cut sheets in varying thicknesses, and 1x4, 1x3 and 1x2mm boxwood strip for hull planking.