Cutty Sark by OldMart - Artesania Latina

Hi Everyone. I hope that I am doing this right? I am not very IT savvy, however Hope to get it right one day. I am attempting the Cutty Sark as my first build, after doing little bit's previously. I am very new to modelling and find this site very informative. I never took many photos when I first started as there was no need at the time, however I have a few after I did the decking, I am a bit further on now so will take more pics when my new camera battery comes, "I let it run down too much and it wouldn't recharge?" 

279626590_cuttysarkresized.JPG.8d45815180813bb07f7e0fa981f9e645.JPG766561460_cuttysarkresized2.JPG.714364bc2fee3785a18715c3b53e8442.JPGDSCF0305.thumb.JPG.55f98fa50eac7a114feb6785b1be479a.JPG

Sorry about the big pic I don't know what happened, I thought it was resized. God bless everyone hope you all keep safe. Kind regards Martin.

Hi Keith. Thanks' for that, we are nearly neighbours I live in Macclesfield, Cheshire. I am hoping my camera battery comes tomorrow or Tues so I can do some pics. I have finished planking the hull, put the bulwarks on, along with the stern post, keel and stern keel. Just wished I had took more photos along the way. Anyway I am going to do some sanding today, tidy her up for the photo shoot lol🤣 Keep safe Martin.

Keep on good work!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. Just a small update and question if anyone can help?  as you can see I have completed the bow deck and put the strengthens on the bulwarks. I now need to drill all the holes for the gunwale covers. this is where I am a little confused! Again the instructions are a little vague, it gives the measurements for the distance apart 19mm, but not how far in, and where do I start? I also found that the instructions say to use a 01.5 mill bitt, I found this far to big for the size of the wire, good job I didn't start drilling 😁 I am held up at the moment waiting for some new collets and twist drills for my small drill, so I am using the time to do some repairs to pieces I damaged on the gunwales while I was sanding and just tidying her up. Please forgive me but this is my first build. I should have started a little smaller but hey if you don't dive in you will never learn! Learned I certainly have, and still learning so once again please bear with me.

Hope your all fit and well. Martin.

13-May resized-2.JPG

13-May resized.JPG

my default drill bit is a 0.68mm bit in a pin vice then use a bigger drill if needed and use a pin vice as opposed to actual drill though it goes for you fingers and wrists when drilling out for belaying pins- the position for the bulwark frames should be on the plans somewhere, but there are a few build logs on here for this model.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I have been looking round the site and got a few ideas, I don't have actual plan to work from, just shiny photos? Thought about putting masking tape along the side and just standing them up dry and see how they lie, get measurements that way. All good fun aint it. Martin.

wow you were up early martin! hope you got it as nice as we have in cumbria this morning- yep model shipbuilding is a pleasure/ pain thing along the lines of sado/masochism😏. also google cutty sark and click on images- nothing like real thing for info🙂

Yes I'm an early bird, funny you should mention google I was just watching a couple of home made films of people doing things in their sheds. Very interesting, downloaded some good pics of Cutty, have a better idea now. will cut some supports later and see how I get on. yes Its a lovely morning here, a slight frost but nice and bright.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. got the positions of supports sorted. but after putting them in a lot of the paint came off? "My fault" so I have done a new set, this time I have sprayed them with primer before the final coat. due to my lack of experience I am just trying to follow the instructions, they don't say to put the loops on that a lot of you have done, and a good job too I might add, very realistic! I will be satisfied with something like a decent model for my first attempt😊. Who knows I might build another from scratch one day and get things right🤯. The first pic is of the 1-1 picture that came with the kit, this is where I measured the starting position of the supports. Just hope they go in ok this time. enjoy whatever your doing. Martin.

DSCF0326.JPG

DSCF0321.JPG

DSCF0324.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, OldMart said:

Hi Everyone. I hope that I am doing this right? I am not very IT savvy, however Hope to get it right one day. I am attempting the Cutty Sark as my first build, after doing little bit's previously. I am very new to modelling and find this site very informative. I never took many photos when I first started as there was no need at the time, however I have a few after I did the decking, I am a bit further on now so will take more pics when my new camera battery comes, "I let it run down too much and it wouldn't recharge?" 

279626590_cuttysarkresized.JPG.8d45815180813bb07f7e0fa981f9e645.JPG766561460_cuttysarkresized2.JPG.714364bc2fee3785a18715c3b53e8442.JPGDSCF0305.thumb.JPG.55f98fa50eac7a114feb6785b1be479a.JPG

Sorry about the big pic I don't know what happened, I thought it was resized. God bless everyone hope you all keep safe. Kind regards Martin.

From what i can tell her line look sharp and curved as should. very well done.