Royal Caroline by Messis - FINISHED - Panart - 1/48

Hermione now sits in my library on a nice furniture covered with glass. Coronivirus lock-down continuous though things look much better. In the last days Cyprus marks single digit numbers.

Actually I wasnt planning to start a new model so soon, but lock-down drove my hand to the cupboard where the R.Caroline kit was stored.

A kit in a scale that I really desire to build... where details can be seen, I hope. Its my second ship of the 18th century. After Hermione I though the scale and the rich decoration of this ship, it can become a much enjoyable build.

So am sailing again.

20200427_133952.jpg

thus was my first ever wooden kit good luck, i loved building it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

2 hours ago, MESSIS said:

@Kevin thank you very much... I hope I will enjoy it as you did.

i didnt have internet during this build, i could have done so much more

HOBBY CAROL (20).JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi, good luck with your new build. This turned out a 'tour de force' for me as I wanted to add extra bulkheads to improve the planking and ended up modifying them all to correct the hull shape. Still have not rigged her but well worth the time taken as she is a real beauty when built.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

I loved building Caroline and will follow your log with interest. The kit allows lots of scope for improvement and adding extra detail - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Hi Messis

Treenails are very much a question of personal taste. In reality, they would be virtually invisible even at 1:48 scale. Some people like to show them, but they run the risk of the treenails looking far too prominent - like the ship has measles! If you paint Caroline as I did (here) then there are few bare planks on the exterior hull - I think treenails on these might look odd. I didn't show treenails on the deck planks either - if you want to show treenails I would just use a very light pencil mark rather than drilling holes and using real treenails. 

But as I say, it really is a matter of personal taste - it's entirely up to you and what you want. My only advice is, if you are going to show treenails do it subtly - don't make them too obvious.

Best wishes

Derek

Cheers, Derek

@DelF thank you very much for your quick and extended reply. I guess you are very much correct saying that nails in 1/48 scale are "virtually invisible", and  that's (dont forget)  on a dark coloured wood. So yes you are pointing out the obvious, which I should have had realised already.  Still am thinking of using a sharp pencil and punching very thin nails on the deck planking, on which I got a very lighted colour wood, where I suppose the nails are more likely to be seen even in a very faded out fashion.

But Derek, the most important point in your reply to me... is your building log. What a work! Congrats! Am going to spend some time on it, there are a lot of fine details worth looking at and its a great demonstration of a high level craftsmanship.

Thank you for all your important  help sir.

Christos 

• 4 weeks later...

Please can you tell me the makers of this kit.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thanks for that. I am thinking of getting one so I will watch a bit and see how you get on with her.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Looks better than my model did at the same stage - should make a very good base for your second planking. Well done.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Hi Messis

Sorry, I've only just seen this. I didn't do a log as I started my build before I joined the forum. However I did put some pictures in the gallery when I completed it last year. Here's the link.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

I started my Royal Caroline before I joined MSW. I have learned so much from this forum I'm sure my model would have been better if I'd joined earlier. I'm sure your model will be better as well.

Cheers, Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

R.Cariline is back to the shipyard. An update, showing deck planking and finishing the the second planking of the hull. I also tryied to open the first gunport...  a rotary tool with a drill bid was essential to start the operation. 

20201114_152455.jpg

20201114_152120.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello my friend. Your RC looks lovely! Great ship she will be when she's finished!
Keep following your build!

I'm back building my new project and started yesterday with my first post. 

See yah later Messis and keep posting those lovely updates!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...