Royal Caroline by Messis - FINISHED - Panart - 1/48

53 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

Question to whom it may concern:

Is it a white painted hull as the original ship better, or is it nicer to let it as it is, pure wood?

I'd say it is personal taste.  Do you prefer close to historical accuracy, or do you prefer artistic licence that pleases your eyes.

At the end of the day, you are both Captain of your ship, as well as the one who has to look at it (last bit is also the advice I give to my Bonsai students when they have to make a difficult choice and I get asked 'which is better')

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Hi Christos, your build is coming along beautifully! The Royal Caroline kit has alway been one of those builds on my wish list. 

As for your paint or no paint question, first off, I have to agree with the comments that it's totally up to you. That said, I will add the comment that whatever you do, some people will always think it would look better the "other way". 

When I get around to building this kit, I personally really like the look of the model in the box art, which shows a white bottom. However, the wood showing on that model is very light in color. My one concern is that if the wood is too dark, then to my eye the contrast might be too stark. Of course, were I actually building the model, if the planking looked too fantastic, I might opt for no paint, just because I might hate covering it up.

How's that for a not-really-an-answer answer? 😀

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

@Landrotten Highlander and @catopower I was in politics a life long.... no I dont think  @catopower deserves such a penalty! Lol lol 

Its an answer trying to help me  explore my way of thinking and find a way through . Anyway am settled, am going for nice instead of heistorical accuracy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christos

Your model is coming along very well - I particularly like your planking. I agree with everyone else, that painting the wood white is entirely a matter of personal taste. As you know from our previous correspondence, I painted my hull as I thought it tied in with the overall colour scheme. However there were some parts of the model I chose not to paint. Those were parts I scratch built out of boxwood, such as the tops and much of the deck furniture - I felt that it would be a shame to cover up such a beautiful wood. For me, aesthetic considerations are sometimes more important than historical accuracy!

Keep up the good work.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

The nice light oak stain looks too orange.... although the stain I used is a great product (used it successfully on Hermione's masting), it seems I over did it this time. So dos and redos, are as always in the agenta....

20210108_142350.jpg

20210108_133435.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

So much to correct it. Nr4 is the way its now, 3 and 4 are the new experiments,  of which I believe nr 2 has the more  correct  staining, thats less orange as 3 and ofcourse 4 and it still has a dash of honey as pine wood. 

This is important because this shall be the staining of the ship masts later on.

20210109_104715.jpg

20210109_105520.jpg

20210109_095152.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Stem almost there.... . Much iron (bronze) work! I find it challenging because I never worked so much metals by model shipbuilding.

Wasnt very hard though I am very inexperience in this kind of work. But still am looking forward to go back to old nice wood work.... lol

20210113_142040.jpg

20210113_142017.jpg

Have you repainted your cast pieces and if so what with ? Your brass straps look amazing, I am having a real struggle with them.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thank you very much I shall order some. Your build is coming along beautifully, I too am building one and I am at the same stage as you are. I shall keep watching with interest.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

2 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Your brass straps look amazing, I am having a real struggle with them.

I struggled with the brass strips too until I tried annealing them. After heating a strip for a few moments with a gas torch and allowing it to cool, I found I could bend it easily into the the required curves. Just a cheap torch working off lighter gas, nothing fancy.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Oh I wish I had thought of that. Never mind, mine are not too bad.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You must have jolly tough fingers !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thank you my friend, I ordered some of the gold paint you recommended and it arrived today. I have to say it is the best gold paint I have ever used and believe me, I have tried a lot!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I've not long started my RC so I'm following yours with great interest

• 2 weeks later...

Chain plates on both sides. Hard monotony@ But still enjoyable to see the whole standing in place waitting the rigging process to begin.

The ladder was also very challenging. The kit shows two ladders, right and left of the royal cabin, but I followed Bellabarba's book, to build only the left ladder. On the right side Bellabarba is showing a closed compartment, which actualy inside of it is the staircase to the lower deck. Both constructions have a side door to enter the staircase, which I havent done, because I believe there were of no use because the staircase is communicating directly with the R.Cabin. The crew that needed to go to the lower deck could do that through the hinter stairs, without passing through the RCabin.Also the dimensions of both construction appear to be very low (1.4 meters) and narrow for the existence of a door.

20210130_160238.jpg

20210130_160156.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Errare humanum est. After checking Bellabarba drw again and more carefully, it showed I was wrong... the Royal Cabin has no acces to the staircaises (there are two, one on each side).  I WAS VERY WRONG! Maybe because it was convinient for me to be so.

The doors are a must on both constructions (even if they are too low 1.4 m), it is the only way down to the lower deck. So I have correct my mistake and done it by Bellabarba's book, not the way the kit shows it (two stairs going on the RC roof and no doors to the staircase) and ofcourse not my way... no doors "because the RC had acces to the staicases"!!!

20210131_172931.jpg

20210131_172952.jpg

my  wrong way side 1.jpg

my wrong way side 2.jpg

corrected 1.jpg

corrected 2.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

I've sailed on the replica Endeavour, similar age design, and the access to below decks is covered, 1.4mtrs would be about the height. I'm about 1.9 tall and access was easy because you always face the stairs. Also people 200 years ago were generally shorter than todays average.

The last 4 pictures you posted are not working. Can you try again please ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You are quite right, I know my computer needs changing!! Sorry and your doors look very fine.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: