HMS Victory by John Allen - mamoli - 1/90

Need advice, when coming to the placing of the grenades in lower deck all I found looked more like cannon balls. Found some plastic beads 11/0 at a Wal-Mart but need some honest opinions, I have no ego so if more experienced modelers say it does not look right I will tear it out and redo before I proceed further.

They were to shiny and I brushed with a flat clear acrylic.

post-2805-0-21943300-1369927308_thumb.jpgpost-2805-0-86986200-1369927327_thumb.jpg

Also researched plank bending tools on this site. I had used a soldering iron on my armed launch and found it tedious but did not want to spend thr money for commercial plank benders. I cannot remeber the builders name but he used a tin can and tea candles. I tried it this date and was amazed. Bent 6 planks in less then 2 or 3 minutes. Tried wet and dry wood, wet seems to be faster.

To the point of lying in the gunports and start to plank, had stained decks which need 1 more sanding.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks can does work great

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Oh did you glue on the upper deck? It will give you some troubles when it comes to putting the cannons in place as the instructions say to feed them through the gun ports onto the carriages (they fit, but only if the carriage is delicately placed). It might be easier to plank up the sides (both layers of planking) and finish that part (including painting/finishing) and then place the fully build cannons into position, and then glue on the upper deck.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Love the bending tool!

The grenades were in fact mere cannon balls, painted black.

Good luck with your build, Daniel

Thanks for the response.

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Hi John,

I have to agree with Daniel (Dafi) - cannonballs only, not grenades as far as I know.

Your plank bending "machine" seems to be working. Personally, I have only used a steam iron on pre-soaked timber, but your method looks very good. I've seen others use this with great success - you can just vary the diameter of the tin can for different radius bends.

Note also demonborger's comment re the upper deck (poop deck) and placing guns. I think I've already given you the heads-up on this issue.

Looks like you're really getting into it now. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, should have learned my lesson on Itialian plans for the armed launch, and reviewed HMS plans more thouroughly. Mind got stuck on grenades, which states clearly in the instructions grenades/cannonballs. All can be corrected will proceed with more caution.

Thanks John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 1 month later...

Need advice, when coming to the placing of the grenades in lower deck all I found looked more like cannon balls. Found some plastic beads 11/0 at a Wal-Mart but need some honest opinions, I have no ego so if more experienced modelers say it does not look right I will tear it out and redo before I proceed further.

They were to shiny and I brushed with a flat clear acrylic.

attachicon.gifDSCN1834.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1835.JPG

Also researched plank bending tools on this site. I had used a soldering iron on my armed launch and found it tedious but did not want to spend thr money for commercial plank benders. I cannot remeber the builders name but he used a tin can and tea candles. I tried it this date and was amazed. Bent 6 planks in less then 2 or 3 minutes. Tried wet and dry wood, wet seems to be faster.

To the point of lying in the gunports and start to plank, had stained decks which need 1 more sanding.

Usually done it with a tin of beans using a travel iron , ending up with burnt kneecaps , great post john !

• 5 years later...

John,

How did your Victory turn out?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me