Twelve Apostles by jack.aubrey - De Agostini - Scale 1:100

Hello Jack,

Looking good. Nice fix on the bulkhead.

The only nautical term I could find for 'cavallino' is a 'deck flare'.

A flare is a curvature of the topsides outward towards the gunwale.

Does athat make any sense to you?

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello, Jack.  Very nice job so far.  This looks like a very interesting ship.  1.1 meters in length - this will be one large ship to display!  Nice repair on that bulkhead.  I am enjoying the build - thank you for sharing it with us!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Friday, May 24, 2013 - mounting the skeleton - part II

. . the assembling of the Twelve Apostles skeleton continues.

This afternoon I glued six more bulkheads, the ones below to the second segment of the deck and then I also fixed the two elements of the central deck segment.

As for my work of yesterday, the procedure was exactly the same and even today I have not encountered any problems whatsoever.

Now the glue is quietly drying, I will finish tomorrow with the third segment.

01 p1090466.jpg

02 p1090467.jpg

03 p1090469.jpg

Then, having nothing better to do, I started working on the first bulkhead, where there is to install a number of new elements that will form the backbone of the bow. Here, too, nothing difficult except a little patience. .

04 p1090470.jpg

05 p1090471.jpg

High Resolution Images:

The only nautical term I could find for 'cavallino' is a 'deck flare'.

A flare is a curvature of the topsides outward towards the gunwale.

Does athat make any sense to you?

Hi Anja,

I probably finally found the english translation for "cavallino". It seems to be "sheer".

Anyway you get the right concept: it is a deck curvature running from prow to poop, with the topsides higher that the centre. Thanks very much for your cooperation. There is another curvature for the ship decks, running from left to right called "bolzone"; its english translation is "camber". 

Morning Jack,

It look so clean….if this is the right word.

One question, is there any drawing provided wit watch step you have to make?

Or only on the board when you become a article .

I want to go to a store who had in the past those things for the Victory and see if they can get it for me.

I have still two builds to go and an other that I want to buy later on so it's good to collect all those parts before I can start building her…..

We have a big building room so no problems to storage it for a while...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

. . One question, is there any drawing provided wit watch step you have to make? etc, etc . . 

Hi Sjors.

There are no drawings supplied together with the weekly issues and, knowing this kind of partworks in the past, there will be no chance for them. Usually De Agostini provides only the plans for the masts and the rigging, nothing more.

If you want to reproduce the pieces supplied in the issues, the only way is to make a photocopy of the whole frame containing the laser cut pieces before extracting them.

But the problem is: how to take photocopies of them ? Probably you have to find someone in Russia or in Italy that has not yet started this model and take with him an agreement. The official forum of De Agostini in Italy could be a good place to ask this kind of favour . . but the rules of that forum may probably reject a similar request.    

The step by step instructions (that until now I did not follow) can be seen here: http://www.deagostinipassion.com/forum/posts/list/27322.page

An example of the material included is shown in the following two images.

post-1168-0-11123400-1370176898_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-83757900-1370176935_thumb.jpg

Friday, May 24, 2013 - mounting the skeleton - part III

Today I continued with the assembly of the skeleton. Nothing special to report regarding the assembly and the method adopted: I did exactly like yesterday and the day before yesterday.

01 p1090478.jpg

02 p1090479.jpg

Later, having more time to spend, I proceeded to assemble all those pieces to be applied outside the last blukhead aft. The whole is visible in the next three images, particularly in picture 04. It remains to apply other four pieces on the last bulkhead, but I'll worry about them later, at the present time I prefer not to have too protruding pieces there.

03 p1090480.jpg

04 p1090481.jpg

05 p1090482.jpg

Now there are the next steps, as instructed, where I will have to install the reinforcement of the false intermediate deck. 

Sincerely, Jack. 

High Definition Images:

Jack,

I looked at the instructions link that you gave us, and realized that De Agostini intersperses tedious tasks with little assemblies such as the Guns or anchors.

This is very smart and will keep the builders motivated. It is nice to put together a hull, but it is also very pleasant to work on smaller things that can be completed quickly. It is a nice change of pace.

By the way, the instructions are top notch, when compared with any kits available on the market.

Yves

Jack,

I looked at the instructions link that you gave us, and realized that De Agostini intersperses tedious tasks with little assemblies such as the Guns or anchors.

This is very smart and will keep the builders motivated. It is nice to put together a hull, but it is also very pleasant to work on smaller things that can be completed quickly. It is a nice change of pace.

By the way, the instructions are top notch, when compared with any kits available on the market.

Yves

Hi Yves,

infact the instructions are designed in a way that you can start to work since the availability of the first issue . . This is an approach that is appealing in a particular way to the beginners but it is not the right method for the more experienced modellers. In general the experienced modeller collects a set on at least 15-20 issues and then starts to work, having in this way in mind the final goal. Regarding guns and anchors and whatever else, they are supplied in different weeks and I don't start to mount a gun this week and then repeat the same process two weeks later. I collect all the guns and I assembly all of them in one shot. If I get idle, I have another model to work on, so my time is always allocated.

Anyway these instructions are very detailed and if a modeller follows them it is difficult he can make critical errors. These instructions are one of the valued added features of the partworks vs the traditional kits.

Sincerely, Jack.

. . about reinforcements. .

During the assembly of the last bulkhead aft, I immediately worried about the strength of the last segment that connects the keel to the rest of the ship skeleton. So, after having checked in the following instruction issues the next  stages of assembly and having understood that in the selected area was not installed anything in contrast with what I had in mind, I decided to reinforce with new pieces of plywood this area.

I cut two pieces of plywood that I glued on the deck and on the vertical side of the last bulkhead, this in order to contrast the flexibility of the keel and then I further reinforced the vertical part of the keel by applying one of the two defective pieces distributed in an issue and that will be totally replaced later . So, now the whole poop is more robust.

So far, this aspect seems to me, until now, the only flaw in the design of this model although probably everything will settle correctly later. . the fact is that the meantime you run a risk that is better not to deal with.

Images 01 and 02 show what I have done in this regard. .

01 p1090483.jpg

02 p1090484.jpg

Finally I made a bit of raw material to reinforce the skeleton in some places that, due to the complexity of the bonding, may not have been perfectly glued. I refer in particular to the junction between the bulkhead and the deck close to the external sides. That area, in some next stages, will have to be smoothed in order to prepare the bevel and there is nothing worse than to have a imperfect bonding when you do that. . but the matter is difficult to explain in words, I will show everything at the proper time.

In the meantime, I want to emphasize how I got the material shown below: This is poplar plywood 5mm thick. I sliced ​​in strips of mm. 6 width with my Proxxon table saw.

I have a fair number of these tools, a number that will expand soon with three other "new entries". You can avoid buying them but having them greatly simplifies your work. .

03 p1090492.jpg

Kind Regards, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Monday, May 27, 2013 - False lower deck

Today I dedicated my time to the installation, on both sides, of the reinforcements of the false deck, those that rest on the lower deck. The first two images show the two sides of the hull. The right side is in place, while the left is still being held with clamps while waiting for the glue to dry.

I would note, in case anyone missed it, that the three pieces that make up one side of reinforcements, even if they seem right, in fact they are not: they are slightly curved to follow the line of the sheer below. WARNING: to be mounted properly. .

01 p1090494.jpg

02 p1090495.jpg

Then I prepared the pieces of the first false deck and I was able to assemble these pieces on the right side. Impressive the extreme precision of these parts, so much precise that, in order to put a bit of glue in some joints, I slightly widened these joints with a file. .

03 p1090498.jpg

04 p1090499.jpg

At the next message I will comment more in detail the process and I will clarify on behalf of the famous problem raised the instructions, step number 15-01: bending of reinforcement or corner?

Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey.

High Resolution Images:

Monday, May 27, 2013 - Details about false deck reinforcements

A couple of days ago, on another forum, I answered in this way to a user asking me how to interpret and manage the instructions found in issue 15, in particular the tab 01. .

post-1168-0-32718200-1370517743_thumb.jpg  post-1168-0-68596400-1370517991_thumb.jpg

. . In line of principle, there are for me at least three possibilities:

1) soak the piece 42c so that it can bend without breaking and, starting from the first bulkhead, where should rest, paste making him follow a curve, like a strip, although a little wider;
2) bend the part 42c at the center of the second bulkhead, but without breaking it, as in the figure of the instructions;
3) cut the piece at the center of the second bulkhead and paste between the first and the second, then with the remaining part, proceed from the center of the second until the end.

At that time I promised to show you what I would have done in that circumstance. The next images show clearly that in the end, after careful considerations, I opted for a fourth solution based on the third hypothesis . .

But I must explain how I came to this solution.

During the dry assembly of the three pieces that make up the deck reinforcement, I realized that, if I wanted to start with the piece 42c exactly in contact with the first prow bulkhead, and then mounting the other two pieces 42b and 42a, when arrived at the stern there was a gap of about one centimeter and a half. 

And as I already pointed out, the last bulkhead above the stern apperared to me a few weak . .

So I decided a totally reversed approach: instead of starting to apply the item 42c at bow I installed the item 42a at the stern, making sure that the end of this last piece was in contact with the overmentioned bulkhead. I also blunt the thickness of the plywood to make it adhere with the maximum surface.

Then I installed the item 42b in the center and finally I got the i nstallation of item 42c. And here I decided, since it was obviously too short, to cut it in the vicinity of the center of the second bulkhead, leaving for the moment an empty space between the first and the second bulkhead.

Of course I kept everything clamped to wait for the glue was dried.
Last, I built "from scratch" the final missing piece. I cut a rectangle of the correct size by using a piece of poplar plywood, with thickness of 5mm. then I shaped the extremities of this piece at the right bevel to adapt precisely to its place and, when everything was right, I glued.

That's it, simple but effective. . 

Here are three images of the particular. . In the hope I was clear, I greet everyone with kindness. Jack.Aubrey

01 p1090497.jpg

02 p1090496.jpg

03 p1090101.jpg

High Resolution Images:

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Today I applied the first false deck on the left side and with this task I ran out of material for the hull up to issue number 16. I have left the material of issue 17 (second false deck) but I prefer to wait to have also the 18th to proceed in parallel on both sides of the hull. This is to prevent, even if the risk is now purely nominal, possible distortions of the hull.

Due to overmentioned reasons, I now put this model on standby while waiting to receive the post parcel number 6 that will contain the issues 18, 19, 20 and 21. As far as I understand issue 21 will be released soon so I expect to receive the package about mid-June.

In the meantime, I'll start some activities to consolidate the work done: to be generous i think three / four hours of work maximum, probably in two / three sessions, and inthe meantime I will re-open the shipyard of the Soleil Royal (described in another topic in this forum), now idle, until I'll receive the new material.

I will show these activities soon, greetings, Jack.Aubrey.

28 and 29 May - consolidation activities

Having virtually exhausted the material to continue, waiting to resume the work, I started some activities focused to consolidate the work done. Among other things, are odd jobs that I have not yet finished. Essentially a couple of tasks aimed to reinforce certain points in my opinion potentially weak and waterproof the timber to avoid possible distortions of the skeleton.

Regarding the first thing, which is the only one that is really visible: in the four images below I photographed some reinforcements, made with common poplar plywood (thickness mm 5), I've applied under the outer edge of the lower deck. It is not a difficult job even if it requires some patience. I think its purpose is clear: since when I applied the bridge I didn't put, in order to privilege the speed, the glue in the joint between the bridge and the bulkhead. Then I was not sure the bonding in that area was enough strong. In this way the deck and the bulkheads are inextricably attached and fixed together and this wide thickness will also be a good base for the application of the first strake, that I imagine will start from there. This job can't be considered finished: it will be necessary to bevel these small pieces that are straight while the bridge is curved, but it is a small additional job.

To waterproofing the timber I applied a coat of glue diluted to 50%, rather abundant. In this way the wood is impregnated in depth and is less sensitive to changes in climate, at least within certain acceptable limits. In addition, the diluted glue penetrates into the wood, fixing further the existing bonds and strengthening the whole. Another advantage of this operation is that this diluted glue fixes the contours of the timber, in particular way for plywood, and this makes it harder and can more easily be sanded without the risk of chipping.

These tasks are not strictly necessary but, rather than standing totally idle, are a good idea to perform.

If all goes as I think and nothing unexpected happens, the next weekend I'll re-open the site of the Soleil Royal.

Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey.

01 p1090114.jpg

02 p1090115.jpg

03 p1090116.jpg

04 p1090117.jpg

High Resolution Images:

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - Last news while waiting for new material . .

Today was pretty much a day of rest.

I finished the pieces to continue the installation and then I have to look forward to receive new material.

Honestly is not 100% true: I would have to mount the main top, the guns and maybe a couple of anchors, but in my view I don't understand why I have to build elements of the model that I will need probably in a year, maybe more. In addition, why mounting a cannon now and another next week: I'll wait to have all of them and build all together. .

So the images that follow in this message and the next, will be the last for at least sometime, as I expect to receive something not before twenty days. In the meantime, I will continue with another model, which I do not touch since six months.

However, before temporarily put in "mothballs" the Twelve Apostles, today I enjoyed painting the inside of the lower deck. Operation honestly totally useless, you will never see anything of this deck, but I like the decks pretty clean, as my namesake in the books of Patrick O'Brian.

Below is a detail of the bow. Note the reinforcement at the corner between the first bulkhead and the deck and a similar reinforcement above the line of junction between the segments (right / left) of the deck.

01 p1090127.jpg

Here below is a detail of the poop . . 

02 p1090128.jpg

And an overall viewpoint . . 

03 p1090134.jpg

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Jack,

Besides looking wonderful, the paint will prevent humidity from sipping through the wood, as the ship ages in the future.

Very nice. It is going to be a long 20 days....waiting for your updates.

Yves

Hi Yves, It seems you like in a particular way this model. I desume this from your very positive comments you posted.in this topic. I appreciate very much your comments

Since they were available on my camera, I show you another batch of five images with the deck painted, from different viewpoints . . 

01 p1090129.jpg

02 p1090130.jpg

03 p1090131.jpg

04 p1090132.jpg

05 p1090133.jpg

Regards, Jack.

High Resolution Images:

Thursday June 6, 2013 - Update

Yesterday I received the post parcel number 6, which contains the issues n ° 18, 19, 20 and 21.

I honestly thought of having to wait more, instead. . better that way.

So, also because of a misfortune on the front of the Soleil Royal, I'll try to regain control of the Twelve Apostles in order to align the model to the last issue in my hands.

I believe that in three / four days I can do all the work planned, then put me on hold again for the future next issues.

So we'll hear soon, Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

Jack,

Nice work. This is developing in to a lovely ship.

By the way - that is an interesting tap featuring in your photos - I have not seen one like it before. It would make a good figurehead for a ship. :)  

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Jack, this is a very cool looking ship so far as it builds up.  Interesting in how the pieces are assembled up and so clean!!

Nice work so far

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hey Jack, how did you manage to order this and from where ?

Sorry, I beg your pardon, but I do not undertstand exactly what shall I manage and order . . can you clarify ? Thanks, Jack.

Jack,

Nice work. This is developing in to a lovely ship.

By the way - that is an interesting tap featuring in your photos - I have not seen one like it before. It would make a good figurehead for a ship. :)  

The Idea for a figurehead may be interesting, I will keep in mind for the future, Regards, Jack.

Friday, June 7, 2012 - Resuming from issue 17. .

Yesterday afternoon I spent four / five hours of nice work on the 12 Apostles.

I applied the "second floor" of the false decks, both on the left side (issue 17) and right (issue 18). To avoid having to incredibly clamp everything, I glued the vertical reinforcements and I kept them fixed with "extra" fine brass nails, inserted with the "piantachiodi" (a kind of jig to force nails into the wood, not an hammer). In this way I gained time which allowed me to apply immediately after also the horizontal reinforcements.

Now everything is in the drying phase of the glue.

I also added the two pieces for the support of the mizzen mast, These new pieces, supplied in this last post parcel, replace the same defective pieces received time ago.

Once again I followed the instructions on the contrary, I started with the piece 44a, then 44b, and finally, at the end, 44c. I prefer this kind of approach vs the one suggested by the instructions: I feel better and more productive. This time the set of three pieces 44a/b/c was as long as the hull, or rather just a little bit more, so I had not to use the same method that I applied for the first level of false deck.

Instead, to keep the bulkheads at the right distance between them, during the gluing and fixing of the vertical reinforcements, I inserted into their seat (only inserted, without glue), the horizontal reinforcements.
This fact is important to straighten any bulkhead that may be deformed in the upper zone.

I'll take pictures as soon as possible. Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey

Friday, June 7, 2013 - images

As promised, I publish here some images about the work done Friday.

Let's start with the lower support for the mizzen mast, whose defective parts have been replaced in a issue contained in this monthly parcel.

01 p1090145.jpg

A particular view of the second false decks at the prow zone. . you see a very small wood thickness filling a gap of the horizontal false deck, on the left side, near the first bulkhead, which leads me to expect a few problems in the near future.

02 p1090146.jpg

Below three more general views, from various points of view, where you see the "hive" growing in size. .

03 p1090147.jpg

04 p1090148.jpg

05 p1090149.jpg

cheers, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:
Edited by jack.aubrey

Sorry, I beg your pardon, but I do not undertstand exactly what shall I manage and order . . can you clarify ? Thanks, Jack.

Excuse my English - i meant "Where did you get this kit from" ? :)

In Poland, the only available kit from DeAgostini was the HMS Victory and it is not available anymore - even through backorder, also, DeAgostini refuses to deliver to countries, where a given kit was not officially published so i am asking where this one is being published at the moment

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64