Twelve Apostles by jack.aubrey - De Agostini - Scale 1:100

Fantastic work Jack.What is the overall sizes of the hull,it's difficult to gauge from the pictures.She looks really tall and wide,despite being only 1/100 scale.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently the hull dimensions are: length 680mm, width 190mm and height 185mm. Regards, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Probably I will not publish new progresses in next fortnight, so I add now a bit of new images, shot this time with the traditional photo camera instead of the smartphone.

There are small changes from the last published: I reinforced all over the gunwale which now looks very strong (one of my fixations ..) and I covered with planks the small area of the deck just over the well-known element 46b I added later.

.01 p1090610.jpg

02 p1090611.jpg

03 p1090612.jpg

04 p1090613.jpg

05 p1090614.jpg

06 p1090615.jpg

07 p1090616.jpg

High Resolution Images:

Edited by jack.aubrey

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Looking forward to tomorrow I'm planning the work for when I'll be back in business. According to the instructions the next important step is to open the gunports but I'm pretty focused on the bulwarks and handrails and I would like to finish them before proceeding further . These are activities that should be planned around issue 50. I say this not because I read in a crystal ball. . but because I have the specifications (in Spanish language) of the future issues and I can say this advisedly .

I enclose a sketch that explains how the bulwarks & handrails will be finally assembled, once finished .

On the left side is visible to the scheme proposed in the Spanish instructions on the right side the variant that I would like to implement, more realistic because it provides an important element called "waterways" . It was used to convey water to collection points along the deck where there were scuppers that discharged water overboard.

I think it's a very important small element of detail that should provide an added value to the model.

That's all for today, best regards, Jack.

post-1168-0-75369700-1383491748_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Good morning to everyone. I'm adding this new message to communicate the closure of the shipyard and consequently this building log, following a mine personal decision. The long period (+/- 8 months) in which I had health problems related with three eye operations has allowed me to critically reconsider my current way of being a ship modeller. 
So I came to define plans for the future that represent a strong breakthrough from the past.

The result of this new approach is practically a rather radical change of direction:
  • I sold to a German ship modeler all the material, until now available, of 12 Apostles and, at the end of the partwork (it is now at issue no.65 but the complete partwork is up to 120 issues) I will send the remaining material;

• put on sale the partwork of the Sovereign of the Seas, again from De Agostini; at the moment it is around issue number 100 while the complete partwork will end to 135;

• put on sale the partially finished hull and the related material (it is a commercial kit from Artesania Latina) of the San Juan Nepomuceno, a 74-gun Spanish ship of the line who fought at Trafalgar, in 1:90 scale; http://www.deagostinipassion.com/forum/posts/list/13458.page

• finally, I will make the same with the hull and the remaining material of the kit of the Dolphyn, from Corel; it is a Dutch privateer, ketch rigged, in 1:50 scale; http://www.deagostinipassion.com/forum/posts/list/24837.page

• the only model that I plan and want to complete will be the Soleil Royal, that probably some of you already know from my building log in this forum http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1044-le-soleil-royal-by-jackaubrey-de-agostini-scale-170/

I think it is clear that once the Soleil Royal will be finished, which I think should be feasible by the end of next summer, I will have nothing to do from the past. . . and then what will I do?

A few weeks ago I opened a topic in http://www.deagostinipassion.com/forum/posts/list/27707.page in which I presented a book, titled " The Restoration Warship" by Richard Endsor, describing a British 3rd rate ship of the line of 1678: the Lenox. Well, this ship will be (with the strong hope that the devil will not disagree) my next model.

It will be built according to the English style called "Navy Board Model" which is not exactly what is generally meant by "French" admiralty ship modeling (I personally add "French"), which is quite different. I hope everybody knows the difference of the two types of modeling, in contrary I could open a specific topic to clarify what is meant by "Navy Board Model", or at least I will try to do my best.

In the meantime I asked Richard Endsor, the author of the monograph, the plans in 1:48 scale that I proceeded to modify with AutoCAD to get the new plans in 1:84 scale; the scale that I have chosen for my future model. 
This experience served me to learn and basically use AutoCAD: now I'm quite able to use it for my personal purposes. 

Staying always available to interact with those who need help about 12 Apostles, I send a cordial greeting to all of you, Jack.Aubrey.

Jack,

I was worried when I read your letter about your decision to drop everything..... and then I realized that you are just shifting your objectives and moving away from PartsWork to embrace something more majestic, if I may say so.

I am looking forward to your new Build Logs and various articles. I also wish you a very good health and complete recovery of your eyes.

Sincerely,

Yves