Noob from Texas

ErnieL

Hey folks,  I'm a longtime model builder, first plastic aircraft kits as a kid, then caught the building and flying scale model R/C aircraft bug back in the 70s as a bigger kid, then, as an empty nester, got back into the scale plastic display model aircraft hobby.  

So I've been building some sort of model my entire life.

I presently act as Administrator on two FB large scale aircraft pages, moderate another FB model Aircraft page, and also help Moderate Large Scale Modeller's web forum.  So my online life is pretty full. Which means I'll be around a fair bit, soaking up info and learning from others.

At the urging of one of the Admins here, I took a step into the Dark Side, and at the urging of this 'gentleman' (cough cough) bought my first wood ship model, the new Vanguard Models HMS Speedy.

I'm pretty sure there's not many people, ship lover or not, who doesn't admire the incomperable Cochrane, and I hope to turn out a fair to middlin' result from this beautiful kit.

I certainly lack some of the woodworking skills needed, and it'll be a learning curve no doubt, but I expect this kit will be a decent first ship for a guy who get's told he's a fairly decent enough model builder.

So please bear with my idiot questions. One day, I, too will be building that trim 44 or 74, but right now, Speedy looks mighty tempting.

Now I'm off to research a lathe...

Ernie

Edited by ErnieL

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

Welcome, Ernie. I think I may have visited the large scale modeling site a time or twos some years back. If memory serves, "large scale" was defined as 1/32 or larger, and 1/33 scale card planes were acceptable thanks to our European compatriots fondness for metric scales.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

35 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Welcome, Ernie. I think I may have visited the large scale modeling site a time or twos some years back. If memory serves, "large scale" was defined as 1/32 or larger, and 1/33 scale card planes were acceptable thanks to our European compatriots fondness for metric scales.

Cheers!

Absolutely. We do armor and aircraft. I’m not treadhead, but I do like things with wings. 

The goal here is to learn new skills, but mostly hone ones I already have in a new direction, and have a blast doing it.  It should be a good time.

What’s y’all’s opinion on Speedy as a first kit? The build threads I’ve seen look pretty trouble free...

On Deck:

2 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Chris Watton is a cutting edge designer with a long track record of great kits. Speedy will be challenging, but doable for a motivated builder.

Good deal. I’m nothing if not dogged. I’ve been looking for a decent tabletop lathe or mill for quite some time. I think this gives me some real reason to take the plunge..

On Deck:

3 hours ago, ErnieL said:

Now I'm off to research a lathe...

Start with clamps.  You can never have too many clamps.  ...and magnifiers.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome to MSW, Ernie.   You're going to research just a lathe?   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Start with clamps.  You can never have too many clamps.  ...and magnifiers.

I have plenty of those. Drawers upon drawers of them. Will need pins and a proper pin pusher. I don’t trust myself...

I’ve been a lurker here for far longer than I care to admit..

I’ve been working on sub assemblies for a 1/16 scale Fokker Super Universal, and it has a cantilever wooden plywood sheathed wing, so I have many of the tools I need. A small metalworking lathe is one I keep talking myself out of, but maybe this will eventually sway me.

One thing I’ve seen here is that you folks are true master craftsmen. Aircraft use a few skills, but ships seem to have many more to master. I’ve yet to find a copper clad aircraft, although some Golden Age designs used engine turned aluminum panels. 

I’m in awe, actually. 

On Deck:

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, Ernie.   You're going to research just a lathe?   ;)

Hehe. I’m trying to talk myself into it. Funny, I think I just talked myself OUT of it for now.  Again

On Deck:

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome to a wonderful forum...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

35 minutes ago, ErnieL said:

Hehe. I’m trying to talk myself into it. Funny, I think I just talked myself OUT of it for now.  Again

Don't worry.  Once you're hooked and into scratch building there's lots of power tools besides a lathe.  Like small table saw, scroll saw, mill, and possibly a band saw and a laser cutter.  We're all toolholics here.   Don't ask how I know this.:rolleyes::D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

So I’ve been pouring over Speedy’s instruction manual, and the first 2/3 of the build look very straightforward to me.  Wood formers, strip planking, rabbets, and PE copper. What’s not to love. But I get lost when it jumps to the running gear.

Deadeyes, channels, bits, schmidts, blocks, clocks, runners, gunners, flannels, wash, spin, rinse, and grille. I hope I get the hang of it by the time I arrive there....

🥴

Edited by ErnieL

On Deck:

On 5/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, ErnieL said:

I’ve yet to find a copper clad aircraft

Welcome, Ernie!

Copper's all very well, but if you go to the early 16th century Dark Side, you can use lead sheathing!

As far as rigging goes, you will pick it up as you go. And if you can't figure something out, just ask one of the friendly Forum members - someone's bound to know. (Oh and deadeyes are so-called because they vaguely resemble a skull - the French call them sheep heads).

Have a good look at previous Speedy build logs - you'll probably find many of your questions/problems in your own build have already been encountered and solved by one of our members. 

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

6 hours ago, James H said:

Well Ernie, imagine seeing you here!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've been planking a prototype! 

Haha, well at least you’re getting bench time.  It’s Saturday morning here, and my lively bride just walked in with a Honey Do list as long as my arm. 

Oh JOY!

On Deck:

Welcome aboard Ernie.  Very nice intro to who you are, and appreciated.    Sounds like you may be able to help a few folks here with a sideline in airplane habits.  Know that you will have a lot of help available to you on your ship project.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 5/2/2020 at 2:38 AM, Louie da fly said:

Welcome, Ernie!

Copper's all very well, but if you go to the early 16th century Dark Side, you can use lead sheathing!

As far as rigging goes, you will pick it up as you go. And if you can't figure something out, just ask one of the friendly Forum members - someone's bound to know. (Oh and deadeyes are so-called because they vaguely resemble a skull - the French call them sheep heads).

Have a good look at previous Speedy build logs - you'll probably find many of your questions/problems in your own build have already been encountered and solved by one of our members. 

Steven

What about depleted uranium?  

On Deck:

1 hour ago, ErnieL said:

What about depleted uranium?  

If you can machine that stuff, you are the man!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: