HMS Victory by Emmet - Corel - 1:98 - as she appeared after Trafalgar in 1805 - Second wooden ship build

Just seen this  welcome aboard,   did I read it correct  - you are doing her  as she appeared after the Battle of Trafalgar  ie  with battle damage?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 hours ago, Emmet said:

Thanks Keith

Trying to negotiate and website seems more difficult in building a ship. Right now I am dry fitting everything to be sure that all pieces are aligned With respect to the big slut I wanted to do something where I could put the piece in and out.

The idea you gave me about the poop deck is the kind of help I need.

I think you got it.  If you need help with using MSW, ask here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/47-questionsinstructions-on-how-to-use-and-post-to-this-forumsite-problems-or-suggestions/    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

Very nicely detailed work Emmet; she is coming along nicely

Appreciate your input.  I really enjoy the challenge. I am forced to think hard about how to go about something that may have ramifications for the future of the project. It is great to be encouraged by you.

ouch- we had snow this time last year - supposed to be an arctic wind coming in tonight so going from 20 centigrade today to 10 centigrade tomorrow! - i use scraps of ply from frames to bolster bulkheads to strengthen them if ply is thinnish.

Keith

OK I do nave some left over. I could have used it.  I was concerned about staying out of the way of frames that are close there.

Our snow is gone now. It was 34-a hair over 1F.  Actually the temp was higher on the ground.  The snow was coming out of very cold air.

I got the wood stove cranking this morning-very unusual this time of year here.  The daytime temps, however, have been warm at about 12-15 C.

I am into a complicated situation at this point in my build. I will be posting soon.  Stay warm.

Thanks Keith

The plans are no help.  McKays Victory shows the stern gradually sloping up towards the stern. My problem frame, however, is towards the bow. Still the slots for the longways beam will have to be corrected.  I will keep exploring.  It is clear that one has to file many pieces so that they fit.  the lower deck took quite a bit of filing.

The sun is shining and we have blizzard looking storm but it is all for naught as it hits the warm ground.

I was prepared for all sorts of whatevers when I got into this stuff.  I will do whatever it takes.  I see complaints about the laser cutting on other logs.  

Putting the deck on shows me the slots for the longways beam are not correct.  I am not doing anything until I add more decks and check every aspect possible.

The kit seems good compared to the La Nina from Amati but it came out ok. 

The Santa Maria looks like a better kit.  The Victory came so fast I only got around to translating the Italian instructions.  When I go south in November I will be working on it.

Emmet - Good that you added the keel reinforcement pieces.  Be careful that they don't reach too far down toward the bottom of the keel as it could interfere with your lower plank(s) when you start adding them.  Something I ran into with my Mamoli Victory.  Good news was Mamoli included the reinforcement pieces, bad news was I installed it a bit too low and had to later chisel a portion of it off. 

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

Thanks

While I have not done little ships much before  I have built an awful lot of things out of wood. No one taught me to how to build houses but I built 4 of them and did all the Electrical and plumbing work as well. I am sitting in front of a wood stove right now. It feeds into a 22 foot high chimney that I’ve built by myself.No one taught me how to build a guitar but I built two of them. 

At the same time it does seem that we should expect more from the suppliers of these parts. It is small wonder that people decide to build from scratch. I cannot believe how far off the longways beams were from the slots in the frames.

I still do not have an  enormous amount of confidence. This stuff is very difficult. At the same time I am happy with the given task at hand. Finishing means very little to me. 

Your advice about making sure the decks fit was wise and makes more than sense. Right now I am thinking about how many frames I can glue and put the decks on before it dries.

It goes without saying that I enjoy the conversation as well. I hope that I am not distracting you.

not at all Emmet i am from Cumbria and we enjoy a good bit of banter, or as we say in Cumbrian dialect "as fra cumbria an we enjoy't crack". Nice to see people who are not afraid to push themselves ( i hadn't built an open fire and fireplace before until i wanted one and learnt basic bricklaying by trial and error, and have built two for this house and two for other people). this forum is all about meeting like minded people and sharing ideas/ experience.

Keith

I am not at all surprised that a shipbuilder would take on most anything.  Truth be told my retirement is from the sale of homes I built myself. When we built our 4th house I told my boys who were in college "This is your boot camp, You are now paying for your college education." They were not amused but did a great job anyway. I just added a pic and would love to hear your opinion on it. All are welcome to give me their ideas.

688997918_Bowareaproblem.jpg.72953427b4709d476a76c3feb0d346f8.jpg

Hi Emmet- that sheer line to the bow is way too steep (unless you are into extreme roller skating!- did they include a quick take off deck into her??? 😁There should be a side elevation of the frames on the plan - looks to me like the two end frames need fettled deeper onto the keel piece- or maybe the middle frames need to come up a notch?

on mine the  deck at the bow is only  2mm or so higher than midships- i have included a pic from some mantua 1/98 victory i have from that rebuild i did showing bow profile.

660562182_Mantua_1_98_plan1.thumb.jpg.3f893a83f866df5ec5ab7949ca96fe3c.jpg

also loved the bit with the kids "finish the house to go to college escapade"- talk about teaching responsibility and dedication!😁

Keith

Edited by clearway
add photos

Hmm 2 mm that is worth some thought.  I feel that it is too steep as well.  As I said the plank will not even touch the frame near the bottom of the hull. I am going to do some lowering of the one frame and the 2 mm will be a  help in making more corrections.  The upper deck is also not liking the steep incline. Onward with dry fitting. 

I am also having fits with some pieces involving the poop deck.  I just have to understand before I will start gluing. 

College-I should add on the grands  that we have 2 girls and 2 boys.  The girls are a blast.  During this deadly time the two of them have at home jobs.

One, who was supposed to be graduating soon, is working at home 5 days a week.  She did serve as an intern.  The other is a 5 year student in a work/school program.  She is working two days a week at home.  Both of my sons are working full time at home. And their families are both having a grand time together. The only problem is we cannot see them.  Amidst all of this I am not forgetting the horror that many are experiencing.  I do feel a tear at times.  I am sure we will do our best to hep others when given the opportunity.

And me, I have my ship and my Admiral.

Keith 

I should have mentioned that the middle deck is level and rises ever so slightly at #10, its termination. That should mean the midship area is OK but anything is possible with these frames. While, on the one hand, one could complain, I just see it as a way to understand the Victory better.

I am doing some calculations to comprehend the situation better.

Clearly the upper deck would need flight deck hands.