Liman 2 by mhmtyrl - Türkmodel - 1:50 - Tug Boat

Hello everbody

I have started this model long time ago but did some progress only recently. This is a tug boat that have been in service for quite long time in İstanbul Bosphorus, later renovated and currently used as a museum boat. This is my first model that i used airbrush and copper plating. some more weathering such as salt streaks will be added.

IMG_20200502_155313_0~2.jpg

IMG_20200502_155330_8.jpg

IMG_20200502_155353_6.jpg

IMG_20200502_155419_7.jpg

IMG_20200502_155456_9~2.jpg

IMG_20200502_155534_6.jpg

IMG_20200502_155548_8~3.jpg

IMG_20200502_155610_5~2.jpg

IMG_20200502_155624_7~2.jpg

IMG_20200502_155717_5.jpg

IMG_20200502_155726_8.jpg

IMG_20200502_155802_1.jpg

love the weathered look on her, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

some more weathering on the hull, basically I added some rust effect (hope not too much). adding rust via chipping using rust color acyrlics gives a wonderfull effect, but easily gets out of control for me :-) so used used pastel chalks,which gives a more diffuse rust effect.

95689427_10157571955663026_4340736279982374912_o.jpg

96088307_10157571955243026_2452385309078323200_o.jpg

96269424_10157571955788026_9025843248211427328_o.jpg

96513541_10157571955893026_2505535164294103040_o.jpg

This is a very interesting model and you are doing a fantastic job on the weathering. How did you weather the deck and how did you make the salt streaks?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, BobG said:

This is a very interesting model and you are doing a fantastic job on the weathering. How did you weather the deck and how did you make the salt streaks?

many thanks Bob :-)

deck; after the deck was planked, I put some coal dust on it and rubbed it. the coal particles then accumulated in the recesses between the planks. later on, I applied 2 layers of gloss varnish (the ones we use for any wood work), when dried I did some washing with walnut pinotex (this should not be so much as it covers and darkens everywhere), so the recesses between the planks were further darkened by this way, lastly I added some pastel chalk to corners (where deck meets bulwarks or the deck buildings)

salt streaks; these are ordinary white acrylics. I applied in little spots and using another semi-dry brush apply vertical (from up to down) brush manouvers. if looks to much then you can just wipe it off. the surface of the hull was not very smooth, so wiping off was really a problem. pastel caulks can also be used (in fact I used it at some places. that being said, I feel that acrylics are not very suitable for salt streaks, as they dry too fast before you can apply vertical brush touches. next time I will use enamels.

hope it helps, the plastic modellers in youtube do fantastic job with these techniques. you can find many on web.

best

Mehmet

1 hour ago, mhmtyrl said:

hope it helps, the plastic modellers in youtube do fantastic job with these techniques. you can find many on web.

Thanks very much for your informative reply, Mehmet. I would like to learn to do these kind of weathering techniques eventually. I look forward to following your build log on this wonderful model you are making.

Best regards,

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Fantastic job!  I just started building this model, too. I intend to build two of them, and to send them to my childhood friends whose father was a tugboat captain.

However, I am not an experienced modeler so any advice on how to achieve the weathering looks that you’ve done would be greatly appreciated. (I don’t particularly like the way the model looks when completed according to the instructions in the kit, but I love the way yours looks).

In particular, how did you achieve the look of corrosion on the keel?   Also, where do you get copper plating?  Are any special tools needed to apply the copper plating or do you just nail them on?

Outstanding! This is some of the best weathering I've ever seen. Really well done!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 10/2/2020 at 12:17 AM, macleadg said:

Fantastic job!  I just started building this model, too. I intend to build two of them, and to send them to my childhood friends whose father was a tugboat captain.

However, I am not an experienced modeler so any advice on how to achieve the weathering looks that you’ve done would be greatly appreciated. (I don’t particularly like the way the model looks when completed according to the instructions in the kit, but I love the way yours looks).

In particular, how did you achieve the look of corrosion on the keel?   Also, where do you get copper plating?  Are any special tools needed to apply the copper plating or do you just nail them on?

thank you very much :-)

weathering on the wooden parts are pretty easy, i first applied one or two coats of gloss varnish used in yatch decks. when dried applied 1 or two coats of pinotex as a wash. salt streaks on the hull are water based acyrlics, apply them as little dots with the bruh tip and used vertical brush strikes. also sanded pastel chalk works very well for darkening the edges such as deck buildings meet the deck. the rust was made via acyrilics and pastel chalk again.

for the sea creatures etc. on the keel, i used table salt. sprey water to the keel and applied table salt on it. that sticks to some degree and some of them fall, so you may choose to apply too much salt later to remove. than painted it with shades of green, and used white pastel chalk to blur its color. 

i cut the copper plates with x-acto knife from a sheet. for the nail effects  i used a little rotary piece, just run it over the cut piece (like cutting a pizza), and sticked them to the hull.

plastic modellers do fantastic job with these kind of items on battle ships, tanks etc. and there are great instructional videos on you tube, i highly reccomend watching them. hope these help.

best...