English Rebel

Hello from North Carolina

I'm now in my seventies but remember building model aeroplanes and boats when I was a kid. I can still remember the smell of dope as I brushed it onto the tissue paper that covered the wings and fuselage of a Spitfire (I guess dope is no longer sold for obvious reasons). Anyway, I decided I needed a new hobby so I ordered the Amati Scottish Fifie Fishing vessel as my first endeavor. I am a woodworker having built many clocks and furniture so am quite skilled, but I'm sure building this boat will test those skills. Wish me luck.

Alan

Alan, Welcome to Model Ship World.  Thanks for the memory of building balsa planes and the smell of the Ambroid glue and the dope.  I always enjoyed painting the planes.  I look forward to seeing your Scottish Fifie Fishing vessel and I hope you will start a build log.  This is a very enjoyable hobby and you have come to the right place to get advice and share your success on your build.

Alan,

Indeed - Welcome to Model Ship World! I guess most of us in our 70s remember applying dope to balsa & paper, etc. You'll find a lot of help on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, etc. I too, have had my hands in other forms of woodworking and have one Emperor Clock on the wall, to boot!

Just curious, but where in NC are you residing? Here in the Triad, we have a loose knit group of modelers (not a formal club) who know each other, get together from time to time, and once or twice a year, descend on Beaufort, NC to carry out mayhem, pillage, and the sort on the local museum denizens much to their dismay!!! We have a few adjunct members from the Triangle as well as New Bern, so it's not a defined linear boundary, but all who share common interests.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Alan,

Indeed - Welcome to Model Ship World! I guess most of us in our 70s remember applying dope to balsa & paper, etc. You'll find a lot of help on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, etc. I too, have had my hands in other forms of woodworking and have one Emperor Clock on the wall, to boot!

Just curious, but where in NC are you residing? Here in the Triad, we have a loose knit group of modelers (not a formal club) who know each other, get together from time to time, and once or twice a year, descend on Beaufort, NC to carry out mayhem, pillage, and the sort on the local museum denizens much to their dismay!!! We have a few adjunct members from the Triangle as well as New Bern, so it's not a defined linear boundary, but all who share common interests.

Thanks. I'm a neighbor of yours as I live in Lewisville. 

Alan,

Well, actually I'm a native Winstonian, lived in Davidson County for 30 years (Wallburg area) and now in Mocksville (2018-). We'll have to see what's what once the Chrome-Doma is on the down side and so forth.

Happy modeling!

Hank

Hey Alan (and Hank and all the other NCers),

Just wanted to give a shout out to the NC denizens club, live in Durham and Roanoke Island.