Hello from North Carolina

I'm now in my seventies but remember building model aeroplanes and boats when I was a kid. I can still remember the smell of dope as I brushed it onto the tissue paper that covered the wings and fuselage of a Spitfire (I guess dope is no longer sold for obvious reasons). Anyway, I decided I needed a new hobby so I ordered the Amati Scottish Fifie Fishing vessel as my first endeavor. I am a woodworker having built many clocks and furniture so am quite skilled, but I'm sure building this boat will test those skills. Wish me luck.

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

Alan, Welcome to Model Ship World.  Thanks for the memory of building balsa planes and the smell of the Ambroid glue and the dope.  I always enjoyed painting the planes.  I look forward to seeing your Scottish Fifie Fishing vessel and I hope you will start a build log.  This is a very enjoyable hobby and you have come to the right place to get advice and share your success on your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Alan,

Indeed - Welcome to Model Ship World! I guess most of us in our 70s remember applying dope to balsa & paper, etc. You'll find a lot of help on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, etc. I too, have had my hands in other forms of woodworking and have one Emperor Clock on the wall, to boot!

Just curious, but where in NC are you residing? Here in the Triad, we have a loose knit group of modelers (not a formal club) who know each other, get together from time to time, and once or twice a year, descend on Beaufort, NC to carry out mayhem, pillage, and the sort on the local museum denizens much to their dismay!!! We have a few adjunct members from the Triangle as well as New Bern, so it's not a defined linear boundary, but all who share common interests.

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Alan,

Indeed - Welcome to Model Ship World! I guess most of us in our 70s remember applying dope to balsa & paper, etc. You'll find a lot of help on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, etc. I too, have had my hands in other forms of woodworking and have one Emperor Clock on the wall, to boot!

Just curious, but where in NC are you residing? Here in the Triad, we have a loose knit group of modelers (not a formal club) who know each other, get together from time to time, and once or twice a year, descend on Beaufort, NC to carry out mayhem, pillage, and the sort on the local museum denizens much to their dismay!!! We have a few adjunct members from the Triangle as well as New Bern, so it's not a defined linear boundary, but all who share common interests.

Thanks. I'm a neighbor of yours as I live in Lewisville. 

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

3 hours ago, JToma said:

Hi Alan. Welcome to MSW :piratebo5:

Thank you sir.

Alan

3 hours ago, JToma said:

Hi Alan. Welcome to MSW :piratebo5:

Thanks Jeff.

Alan

Alan; you sound like my brother. Welcome aboard...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Alan,

Well, actually I'm a native Winstonian, lived in Davidson County for 30 years (Wallburg area) and now in Mocksville (2018-). We'll have to see what's what once the Chrome-Doma is on the down side and so forth.

Happy modeling!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Welcome to MSW, Alan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hey Alan (and Hank and all the other NCers),

Just wanted to give a shout out to the NC denizens club, live in Durham and Roanoke Island.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

Alan