HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by glbarlow - 1:48 - FINISHED

19 hours ago, Hsae said:

took the time to make a lot of photos and explained your process very well.

Thank you Herman for the kind words.  I still shiver when I recall the first frame crashing to the floor.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

8 hours ago, drjeckl said:

when do we get to see the final Cheerful pix?

Wow, thank you for the comment, that’s quite a lot.  I do ok I think, but there are many many builders far better than me, maybe I write a lot more.  

I’ve taken the photos, just need to sort through them and put the post together. 

Thanks again for your post, I really appreciate the kind words.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I’ve reached the end of my thirteen month journey, this is my 59th and final log post on my build of HM Cheerful. Thank you to the 52 of you who’ve followed my build and the many others who have stopped by with a like. A special thank you to all who’ve taken the time to leave a comment, many of you more than once. It is inspiring to read your replies, often they were my motivation for the next post.

When I thought about building HM Cheerful, I started by reading the first couple of chapters of the monograph downloaded from the Syren Ship Model Company website located here. I say first couple it’s because I stopped reading, realizing there were so many things, techniques, processes, skills, and knowledge I didn’t possess. There were many big steps, starting with single planking a hull I would not paint, I had no idea how I’d accomplish (I’m still not sure why a square tuck is actually a triangle). I dove in anyway, figuring it out as I went, trusting I’d come up or find the solution. I knew one thing, I wasn’t going to quit. I sincerely thank @Chuck for his unwavering support and guidance, aside from a great design and mini-kits, he is always available to answer my questions. I also want to thank those who came before. Aside from frequently reviewing Chuck’s build log in addition to the superbly written monograph I also found @Blue Ensign and @Rustyj to be reliable resources, I thank them as well for the help I obtained from their Cheerful build logs many years after they’d completed them. Finally my thanks to @DelF. While he isn’t building Cheerful (yet) he and I frequently exchange PMs, me the greater benefactor of his master level skills and techniques I was able to apply to my own build. Both our work shops are the richer for “hey I want one of those, where’d you get it…'

Aside from building my first semi-scratch model I wanted to create a log that not only tracked my progress but was detailed enough to be of assistance to future builders, paying it forward for all I’ve learned from others. I wanted to de-mystify aspects of this build, step by over-written, over-photographed step. I realize maybe it wasn’t always the best solution and often was one I modified or learned from others. They were methods that worked for me. I took as much satisfaction in writing the log and filling it with photos as I did the actual building. As a result I’m sure I’m in the running for the ‘excessive use of the written word’ award.

Many of you have commented I have been of some help, I’m very glad to know that. My related objective was to provide enough of a resource that others looking at Cheerful as a build option and first thought “no way,” might instead take it on. I hope I’ve done enough to encourage others to say “well that guy did it…”

So with that, here are the final photos of my finished HM Cheerful:

1791859580_Post59Final-1938.jpg.6e0be79c20a1854f09a2513745564f9f.jpg

1056063808_Post59Final-.jpg.92d34dddf3992e3068656e3a802dabd2.jpg

765697813_Post59Final-1922.jpg.382093fa0cedf248d46ac9f36555f6ed.jpg

951522871_Post59Final-1948.jpg.d7de3c7c36f7bdfbc176f716405b73ca.jpg

681768900_Post59-2-1977.jpg.02990c22998ac8010d7b9d62db4027ae.jpg

2055332852_Post59Final-1951.jpg.a168a493b41c50da3b0415d331e3bb8b.jpg

1839845437_Post59Final-1952.jpg.97f625f8ee9e823d9ff40bd209c5cf38.jpg

1427081624_Post59Final-1953.jpg.e758e975e6cce31dc8872bd5cf36077c.jpg

1037982386_Post59Final-1964.jpg.9a05840e95ec38c0c4bceb2b7ee06ce5.jpg

502036074_Post59Final-1965.jpg.5a05c935ccaaaaf6f47041757cda8be0.jpg

81096991_Post59Final-1969.jpg.ba384da131943ed9f96a0130464a3630.jpg

956487232_Post59-1970.jpg.51f08ddab0aed3a196c0f2ecfe24f5ad.jpg

909522386_Post59Final-1971.jpg.301fc0dc57eab20a756b72b7e3f1517c.jpg

1832610645_Post59Final-1972.jpg.cc21a47c4c3d8e123958925b7915b232.jpg

10499594_Post59Final-1941.jpg.c0c8e3ba73b0cceacfeeae98647e41bc.jpg

I hope to read and follow your Cheerful logs, it is a well designed model and a fun build.  At the request of my neck and shoulder muscles I’m going to take a break from building, but I’ll be back. Thank you for hanging out with me!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

You've created a real family heirloom Glenn - you must be justly very proud. 

Thanks for the mention. Like you, I've enjoyed our conversations and banter over the last year and learned a lot, although looking at your pictures of Cheerful I can see I've still a lot to learn about photography!

Best wishes, and enjoy your (hopefully short) break from modelling.

Derek

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

What more is there to be said!!:imNotWorthy:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Just beautiful Glenn…cant wait to see what you do with the Winnie.  The cedar on your Cheerful looks so lovely.  

chuck

Great work, Glenn. This Cheerful is really a fabulous model. Thank you for sharing this beautiful work and especially for passing on so many tips and techniques.

I look forward to following your work on the Winnie!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Glenn that is an outstanding Cheerful. Congratulations!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Simply stunningly beautiful in every respect, Glenn! Magnificent comes to mind. You've created a family treasure for generations to come.

Congratulations!! Here's to you! 🍺🍺🍻  

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Wow, I really appreciate all the kind words. Thank you all very much!

Regards,

Glenn

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful model.  I echo all of the wonderful comments about your build.  Your build log will be an inspiration for me when I build my Cheerful.  Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 3 weeks later...

To complete my project I've added an album to the Gallery section here 

Once again I thank you all for the gracious comments on my completed Cheerful.  

Regards,

Glenn

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Glenn

I've only now found this build log. I'm going to set aside some time to read it from start to finish. First impressions, looking only at the last page pictures, are that this is essential reading for anyone thinking of building the Cheerful. Which I am: I think I need, if not a break from the Winchelsea, then at least something else I can turn to when I feel I'm losing my way a bit (like now!).

This really is a lovely build. I'm looking forward to my reading .

All the best

Fred Healey.

3 hours ago, jfhealey said:

for anyone thinking of building the Cheerful.

Thank you, I’m glad you found it. Cheerful was a joy to build.  

Regards,

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Being new to this whole subject, forum, medium, and hobby in general I am in awe of it all and the talent displayed. I am inspired I suppose as I've already purchased and started playing with my Byrnes saw, not to mention Chuck's Cheerful products, membership with the NRG (No. 8120), and perusing the Washington plans purchased from the Guild.  

Your build here Glenn is adding more fuel to the fire.

Thanks to All,

Bill

12 hours ago, Saburo said:

Your build here Glenn is adding more fuel to the fire

Welcome to the hobby and thanks for all the likes.

FYI, you can PM one of the moderators and ask them to add the NRG logo to your profile to display like mine does. It serves as a badge showing you support the hobby.

Regards,

Glenn