HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by glbarlow - 1:48 - FINISHED

Magnificent Glenn. That hull is a thing of true beauty - almost a shame to clutter her up with all that messy rigging and guns and stuff!

Well done!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the kind words, comments and likes. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Wonderful looking! Well worth all the effort. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys!  I thought I’d get my good camera and flash gear out for today, it does beat iPhone on the messy workbench photos for a change. I haven’t exercised my other hobby in a while. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

how nice the cedar looks with the poly on it.

The poly does transform the cedar, I’ve lost track of how many coats it has at this point. 

Regards,

Glenn

Thank you. It may get another coat before I’m done.  I’m glad I didn’t tree nail it and the WOP seeping between the seams does a nice job of distinguishing the planking runs. I came to like the little bit of variation in the wood color.

The only thing Annapolis would want with it is target practice, but it’s a nice thought. 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Great build Glenn!

I am interested in your brass support pedestals.  Cheerful is only my second build and my first one came with wooden pedestals. 

Did you make them yourself or are they available commercially?

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

33 minutes ago, bartley said:

I am interested in your brass support pedestals. 

Me too.  In fact I have been looking at other build logs in order to get an idea how this works.  I have only used cradles in the previous builds. The thought of drilling into the keel off center and splitting it gives me the heebie-jeebies or somehow having it not fully secure and then having the entire completed model levering itself off with much splinters....

42 minutes ago, bartley said:

Did you make them yourself or are they available commercially?

The pedestals and the mounting board (as unfinished walnut which I sanded and applied WOP) both came from modelexpo.com. They didn’t fit the width of Cheerful’s keel however. I had to spend some time with my Dremel to widen the slots.  You can also see I used two different height pedestals with the way Cheerful lays out.  Hope that helps.  

Regards,

Glenn

33 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

The thought of drilling into the keel off center and splitting it gives me the heebie-jeebies or somehow having it not fully secure and then having the entire completed model levering itself off with much splinters....

This, as you’ll read in the log, is why I drill those holes at the very beginning of the build. The first time my model set on this board was when it was nothing but a keel, the second time when it was just a skeletal frame.  The third time was for these photos.  I don’t use glue, I epoxy the pedestals and the rod inside them to the base, then epoxy the ship to the rod and pedestals when the ship is ready for rigging. I also drill so the rods go past the keel into the frame, 25mm into the ship in Cheerful’s case.  I will admit a certain tension drilling those holes, but it’s offset and much easier by being done early in the process. I wouldn’t want to be holding a completed model in my hand upside down doing it. 

I have 9 models sitting around my house, every one was mounted this same way. So far they are still tight to their boards, though admittedly I don’t sling them around to test their soundness.  I also add a brass plaque to the board with the ship’s and my name along with the completion year, just in case I forget any of those three things😁.

Regards,

Glenn

4 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

One can use threaded brass rod with  captured nuts

I always assumed that this was the way to do it.  I even saw someplace where the nut was ground down on the sides so it would not be too fat.

4 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

different height pedestals is an excellent one

Glenn's look really nice

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

is why I drill those holes at the very beginning of the build.

Yea this is definitely the way to go

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I don’t use glue, I epoxy the pedestals and the rod inside them to the base, then epoxy the ship to the rod and pedestals when the ship is ready for rigging.

I haven't thought about using epoxy like this before

I decided to take a rest from the hull and start the process of building the guns. More on that later. 

So here’s a question. I did the prep on the brass cannon then used my el cheapo airbrush to spray primer with the intention to further paint them with my Admiralty Ironwood Black and and dusting powder on that. However, I like the dull flat metal like appearance from just the Stynlrez primer and thinking to stop there. I don’t have much airbrush or metal primer experience.  

So the question: Am I missing something important about just stopping with the primer and calling it done, will it last and stand the test of time or is primer without paint like coffee without water (I’m sure there is a better analogy but...)?

424DB0F2-7CAA-412D-9FF5-30BD3C7520CE.thumb.jpeg.5314805c99b4aae281c053a40b5b1aee.jpeg

wow that's a big photo

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

That's a fine smooth finish Glenn. Personally I prefer a slightly duller, greyer (gunmetal?) shade for cannon. Having said that, it's not always possible to judge shades from a photo so your primer might be spot on. Why not use the admiralty finish on another barrel for comparison?

Derek

Cheers, Derek

1 hour ago, DelF said:

admiralty finish on another barrel

I’ve used it on all my other models, no spares, if it goes on one it goes on all. But I do have the other models to compare. 
This finish is dull and flat, more than the photo would indicate. A bit silky perhaps but “factory fresh” looking. It’s a quandary 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn, that looks great to me...primer alone is just fine, especially in the relatively protective environment of a scale model.... a top coat has a bit more hardness than primer but primer will be plenty durable .... I like the result you have achieved. 

4 hours ago, ASAT said:

a top coat has a bit more hardness than prime

Thanks Lou, oddly of the hundred or so cannons I’ve painted I’ve never used primer. It’s so evenly spread I’m reluctant to add another coat of paint. Also thinking about dusting powder as Chuck does, so many decisions. 😳

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

I’m not one to agonize too long. I added Rusty Brown weathering powder on the primed only carronade and I’m happy with it. Now just 11 more guns. Thanks Derek and Lou, both your comments contributed to this now duller primed only gun. 

15615FF5-7F48-43AA-B011-01F88EC0EBEC.jpeg.e8e41ed302095f3be7f88ba2ea984d19.jpeg

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

That looks great!

Cheers, Derek

That looks really good Glenn. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I really like the result.  When I used the powders on the carvings for the barge I covered them with some matte spray fixative afterward.  Did you do that or just leave em as is?

Thanks Rusty and BE. I frequently read both your Cheerful logs, as you can see I chose the black truck answer. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

1 minute ago, MEDDO said:

Did you do that or just leave em as is?

I’m going to leave them as is, no fixative. As you know there’s a lot of brush work with the powders to get the best definition. I don’t want to risk anything on top of the barrels, I don’t trust myself with the airbrush to not muck it up. I might to the same as you on the barge carvings though (I have it on the shelf now).

Regards,

Glenn

Applying the fixative did make the powders "run" and kind of melt together and it gave a nice effect on the carving but might not be the thing to do on a cannon barrel 

Very nice work!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

As I posted earlier I took a break from the hull to put together some cannon, turns out it wasn’t much of a break - it’s a process to assemble these guns. I thought I’d take a step back and show some of how they came about.  Likely nothing novel, most of us have made plenty of ship’s guns.

1439773364_Post30-3087.jpg.664bf31fc91781b6d67402b1a158d695.jpg

Before I left the hull I took the time to make a little jig to drill the holes for the gun eyelet’s and ring bolts at each port. I won’t add them until later, but it was easier to drill the holes with an empty deck.

467942635_Post30-3110.jpg.ad01fe5e5e46b98e7e7fe72b0965a4b8.jpg

Next up was giving the brass guns an acetone bath as painting prep and then testing my eyes and fingers to put the tiny emblems on each barrel. I almost gave up, it does take some effort. It’s a good thing Chuck’s mini-kit provides plenty of extra’s, a lot died during the process. The secret is putting glue on a pin to apply it. Once you have as little glue as possible, then put less than that on the emblem. Fine point tweezers are essential.

222601904_Post30-3114.jpg.692f9b7c8abc88d6db7be4d8b7244df9.jpg

I’m not big on using an airbrush, I have a very basic propellent can model I rarely use. My thought is the ships of the time weren’t painted with spray guns so… (plus it seems more trouble than its worth, but to each their own, it looks good well done). It’s different with metal cannons, so airbrushed they are. I used a different primer paint this time as I noted in my earlier post.

751624072_Post30-3122.jpg.79be5e3b3f5fab3abbe37db6d9b421f7.jpg

The mini-kits for the guns include everything needed to build the carriages from laser cut parts, so after making the first one it was time for a production line.

500798375_Post30-3129.jpg.bf2e18bc7e0dc2b7f058e1cba8093a22.jpg

As many have noted before, a jig is essential to aligning the axels to the sides. Cleaning off the laser char from all the small pieces is a chore but the red paint would show through if I hadn’t, so time well spent. Rounding off the axels is also a process, there are no extra axels in the kit so it’s a process done slowly. I suppose maybe I could have made my own quoin handles but my patience was already tested enough with small part assembly. Fortunately I had 5mm brass belaying pins that fit the bill.

1273388899_Post30-3132.jpg.84d794c12078ca3e5f05f810b30967ca.jpg

Then it’s hand painting each carriage and mounting the trucks. Someone said to paint them anything but black, I’m not in on that so mine are in fact black. Just to be different and because I like the look I left the axels natural (though I may not stay with that choice, we’ll see later).

612563990_Post30-3137.jpg.99d23358298086111b38e0fb966571c8.jpg

Added to my 'never done before' list is the use of weathering powder, I was skeptical but I have to say it made all the frustration of applying the emblems worthwhile. The Doc O-Brien’s Rusty Brown gave life to the barrels and really makes the emblems stand out.  I went all in and bought this weathering brush set from MicroMart, I’m sure any brush would work but using one to apply, one to even out and the large very soft brush as a final buff really is worth the expense. No surprise, the key is minimalism - it takes very little power to make it work.  I was pretty basic on the cap square, cut from black card paper, I may add a hinge later when I make the next five. I did use the weathering powder on the card strip, it’s just too black next to the barrel otherwise.

610922700_Post30-1882.jpg.c463df1178188288f001add49145a21b.jpg

So after a lot more time than I thought it would take I have the two long guns and five of the ten carronades finished. There are ring bolts that go on the sides of all the carriages (and the hull) but that comes later by making the breech ropes as a single unit off the ship, the holes for them are drilled and ready. The previous post actually show the barrels better than these photos, they have more of a rusty tinge to them than the blue black they appear here. Maybe I'll get better photos when my iPhone 12 Pro arrives later this week.

1501165566_Post30-3145.jpg.bc1e8fadbfe93228d3e349fa37b14b1e.jpg

I enjoyed making the guns, among other things it put off figuring out scarph joints for a while. There were times though when I felt like mini-me here and was ready to blow things up. I still have five more to do the next time I need a break from the deck work.

Off to the deck I go - maybe to never be heard from again.

Regards,

Glenn