Glenn I too am building Cheerful but elected not to post my trials and tribulations as the model has forced me to improve my skill levels along the way when compared to so many who have posted. I too replanked both starboard and port as my irst attempts were pitiful. You were not alone on this journey.

In regard to the moldings I ultimately went the traditional way using jeweler files to fashion the countours in sheet brass. The only thing I did make the countours a knife edge by back filing one side of the stock. That seemed to help the profile scraping. I used boxwood as I found the cedar is a bit too soft. The only deviation in the scraping that I found to work better for me at least was the following. If the moulding width was to be 'x' in width I milled stock (strips that is) to that dimension in thickness. I then clamped the,edge up, in a homemade strip clamp such that the strip protruded from the clamp enough that my brass profiled scrapper would nicely "saddle" the protrusion. Light passes as you start to get a true run and then successive passes with a bit more attitude to achieve the end result. I then flipped the clamped stock and repeated the other edge. These were then ripped to the desired thickness. Just another way to do it.

One more thing regarding decking. It is a bit of a 'sleeper' in terms of difficulty. Unlike the hull it stares at you and imperfections are so so obvious unlike the subtlies of the hull even when observing it from broadside. There are so many elements on the deck to work around and one has to be dead on to maintain deck plank symmetry. I started at the bow and worked to stern as my first attempt in reverse was off by mid ship. In confering with Chuck I also softened the bend of the planks forward and that worked much better. I did not nibb the margin or waterways as that seemed a bit difficult for me. Lastly check, check, check plank symmetry as you progress from the center line to the waterways it is too easy to lose.

Joe

33 minutes ago, Thistle17 said:

elected not to post my trials and tribulations

It seems you have good information to share, you should start a log. I enjoy passing on my trials and tribulations in the hope of helping others. 

I’ve actually worked out a process for the moulding and have a few practice runs that I’ll share in a future post.

Thanks for sharing.  

On 9/2/2020 at 9:07 AM, glbarlow said:

19933258_Post25-2831.jpg.d952949e73bb3b2aeb1b228613afe8d6.jpg

Before I get into starting the deck work I wanted to share the latest addition to my workshop, my framed print of HM Cheerful, a true copy from the UK NMM of the original plans. Note the matte color was selected to match my paint choice on the model. Cheerful joins a NMM print of the Pegasus on a different wall. It’s a bit high to get above the ceiling speaker volume control, but I’m out of other wall space. It looks really cool hanging there.

Others may be interested to note that the inscription reads:

"Draft for building in the Marchant's Yards by contract two cutters for his Majesty’s Service to carry ten 18 pounder carronades and two 6 pounders for chase guns       

A copy of this draft was sent to Mr Thomas Johnstone at Dover 30 May 1806 for building two cutters named Cheerful and Surly 

Approved by the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty 17 April 1806 "

John

16 hours ago, DelF said:

Love the framed print

14 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

facsimile of the original plans of the models we make

Thanks for the kind comments guys, they are appreciated!

I really like the print. It's quite amazing to see how detailed they are for something done over 200 years ago and more amazing that from it a ship was built.

6 hours ago, MEDDO said:

someone to build the Surly 

At any given moment my Cheerful might become Surly - I'm trying hard to prevent that from happening 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all again for the likes, comments, and checking in on my build log.

1179425653_Post26-2827.jpg.83511b2a01fafe400317632d0bcdc449.jpg

Next up is planking the bulwarks. The first step is adding a 3/64 vertical strip as a false keel/stem at the bow. I elected to make it 1/16th thick so the spiriketing would be flush, while it stands proud for the upper two planks.

The first 3/16, 3/64 thick plank is added with its top even to the bottom of the port sills. This is another of those things had to go right back at the beginning in order for that plank to run smoothly. I mention this only as a reminder to future Cheerful builders to take the slow careful time to get those measurements right. Just as important as a properly faired hull is a properly measured one, no gun port patterns to guide you on Cheerful.

1646861240_Post26-2833.jpg.ad3cecbb1d593a35b27f04b7804de9c9.jpg

Here is the first layer of planking, prior to adding the spirketing. The plans call for a second 3/16 plank to go below this first one, but I found I needed a 7/32 to leave an acceptable amount of space below. I’ve also lightly sanded the outer hull with 400 grit above the wales to make ready for the moulding coming up next.

97411308_Post26-2867.jpg.437325f84cae4b366ba64851bfa33efa.jpg

I chose to cut the top row from the stern most port to the transom as a triangle from a sheet of 3/64 thick stock. The alternative with my stern would have been to have a small triangular sliver to fill at the top. It won’t be noticeable once sanded and painted and importantly it provided more wood to adhere to the bulwarks.  I cut it over-sized, glued it on, then trimmed it down to fit. I imagine transom heights will very from one model to the next.

In this photo you can see I painted the inside of the area where the skylight will be and added a few strips of deck planking (before adding the false deck). I don’t know if it will show once the skylight is there, but what the heck, it took 5 minutes to do.

1744832621_Post26-2868.jpg.7b5666b85a9d393a6f57c69749a00c38.jpg

765039321_Post26-2872.jpg.fda5428b3d42ab426242388815f135e0.jpg

I then added the two rows of planks above the sills. There are lots of ways to do this. I could have, like I did on the outside where rabbits were required, cut individual planks between the ports. I chose to run planks the full length and then cut the ports out with my #11 blade. I feel like I get a smoother plank run this way and I’m comfortable working the ports open with the #11 blade by first cutting down the edge a little, peeling it back, then repeating that multiple times while alternating sides to prevent splintering or cracking until the waste falls away. You can see the ports in various stages of being roughed out in this photo and one above. I don’t have planks long enough for the full length, the holes and gaps are when a plank terminates I end it in the middle of an open port.

1088852113_Post26-2870.jpg.a037ca156df7abc1e3369b4e06dffb66.jpg

The bottom two planks now have a second row of 1/32 thick planks to simulate the spirketing, I rounded the top edge a little with 400 grit to soften the edge. In reality this was a thick row of planks, not two layers, but no one will know the difference. It’s good to remember we’re building models, not actual ships and its ok to simulate some things.

1236750948_Post26-2876.jpg.b6113ba890e88d77999fdfbbff9ff07c.jpg

Along with my #11 blade and needle file to square the corners, I brought out the “port sander” jig I made so long ago when the sills first went in, only this time turning it upside down so I only sanded the sides and not the bottom and ensuring all the ports are the proper finished width. I like how the lens distortion in this photo makes the stern look long and skinny, merely an illusion.

1759130274_Post26-2892.jpg.a57ccd63447e4801be97ae5c223b39f8.jpg

485468358_Post26-2893.jpg.5c04582066dafcaad29854644c5724f5.jpg

With everything shaped and fitted it’s time to paint. Here she is with my nice bright red paint. As I said at the beginning of my log I was opting for RED! on this model. I think I’ve achieved that with my Golden Cadium Medium Red, I like it. (although its not as red-orange as it appears in these photos, it's bright but not this bright).

496137462_Post26-2832.jpg.172e5e19f38622d3624d4b102a811105.jpg

Now I’ve put off adding the fancy moulding as long as I can, that and the cap rails are up next.

18 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

been looking forward to seeing you do your moulding as I know you purchased the scrapers

I've been looking forward to it too, being done with it.  The  Amati scrapers won't work - as someone noted the smaller one isn't small enough for these 1/16 x 1/32 strips. I've managed to make one from a brass plate, I'll report in the next post how I'm doing with it. 😄

I like the color contrast as well, the black, red, and AYC do all look good together. The upper part of the hull is a bit beat up at the moment, it'll look even better once I solve, I mean install the moulding.

Glenn,

You have clearly solved the problem of fabricating a moulding cutter now but for the record, and perhaps for a later build, this is an escapement file which I used to cut my profile.

This is a round one but other profiles are available. The widest part on this one is 1 .5mm and the tip is 0.4 mm - very delicate but with care, especially on brass, very narrow cuts can be made.

_MG_4917.jpg.d71d0e60a01daa14ff281eeb3c572c35.jpg

Escarpement2_MG_4917.jpg.7b9b1e21625e1a07f023a4522cd8dd9a.jpg

Cheers,

John