HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by glbarlow - 1:48 - FINISHED

5 hours ago, mugje said:

that yellow tone

Thank you. Yes the yellow cedar with wipe on poly produces a nice color. I’m Always surprised at how much the wop adds to the wood, and to how smooth the cedar becomes with sanding.

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If the extra 1/64”

Thank you for saying so.  Actually the imperial measurement is still 3/64ths on my calipers.  The amazing thing to me is how much variance, the 1.18-1.32mm, is still 3/64ths. The finish is Wipe On Poly, it really adds to the wood. 

1 hour ago, MEDDO said:

and think problems through. 

I appreciate your comments. I feel like I give myself ample problems to have to think through 🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

19 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

what a fine model Chuck has designed.

Thanks BE, i appreciate your saying so. Indeed it is a nice model. Hopefully I’m still saying that after I sort out the square tuck. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Don’t muddle my brain with new ways,

It's just been pointed out that the link I provided didn't work so you wouldn't have learned much anyway ☹️! I've fixed it now

🤪

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

12 hours ago, DelF said:

interested to see your post on this.

I’m a bit hesitant on doing this. There are so many different ways and no doubt better ways I’m not sure my new experience is worth sharing. I don’t want my log to become a debate platform for alternative practices. I may just go about my new found method quietly sawing away. 

Regards,

Glenn

8 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I don’t want my log to become a debate platform for alternative practices

Maybe post your method in the appropriate subforum and then uncheck the notify me of replies 😉. I personally would like to learn how you do it so i could potentially imitate it in the future, but I also understand the hesitancy. Looking forward to seeing the final planking!

45 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

subforum

That’s a good idea. 

Regards,

Glenn

On 7/23/2020 at 11:14 AM, glbarlow said:

I’m not at all precise about it. I soften the top back edge of the entire plank, beveling may be over selling it. I don’t put a hard 30 degree edge on it or anything. I find just rolling off the back edge works. I’m probably doing it wrong, but I don’t have any gaps and I would if I did nothing. I do check the fit as I go, the greater the curve (As in the stern, not the bow) the more the bevel. This plus the time bending the plank has made a big difference for me. 

Glen,

Your planking is excellent.  Much better than mine which has a few deficiencies but because I was using boxwood and my supplies were limited I could not afford to rip off too many planks!

On the subject of beveling - I am sure you know this as your planking is so good but perhaps for the benefit of others over beveling can be as bad as no beveling if you have to sand the hull much.  So I think it needs to be reasonably correct.

Bevel1.jpg.25fd8b8f37f9193604f8bb56c7ed4d3b.jpg                                Bevel2.jpg.ef534cc6c3ea2c4af3ea1bb82b7fc72f.jpg

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

18 hours ago, bartley said:

On the subject of beveling -

Those are good drawings and show what I inadequately was trying to say. 

My comment though is don’t be drawn in by the sharp angles shown. It is a feel thing, as I mentioned for the most part it’s more about knocking off that top back edge. I see no need for a hard angle. 

I actually tried to bevel one using my Byrnes sander.  It did no go well. 

btw, I don’t have an endless supply of cedar. Pretty sure I’m going to have to order more. I’d just rather be happy with the result. 

Regards,

Glenn

You are right Glen it doesn't take much to tighten up the joint.  When I started out I tried to get it exact and as you say a little gentle sanding  is all that's needed.  My point was don't overdo because it will look good initially but worse after sanding.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

13 hours ago, bartley said:

s don't overdo because it will look good initially

Exactly right. Hard to explain what’s best, generally the least possible for a tight dry fit.  I needed some meat left so I could sand it smooth. 

Your drawings show that very well. Thanks for sharing those.

Regards,

Glenn

There were a number of things about building Cheerful I’d never done or seen before. In the case of the square tuck I didn’t even know what one was. Fortunately @Chuck instructions are clear enough - I just dove in and took it a step at a time.

I’d already made it challenging by not leaving enough of a gap between the bottom layer of the of the square tuck and the counter. So I filed and sanded until what once was a 1/32 backing triangle was now equal in thickness to a communion wafer. I elected to use 3/32 wood for the square tuck itself instead of recommended 1/8 for a better fit.

311523753_Post23-2659.jpg.aeedda1d44abe00b833511f8d292658a.jpg

Step one is adding the center piece and the two top pieces, that was pretty easy, if only I could stop there.

2061302399_Post23-2668.jpg.9f8937be8ae6fd06ed61879ea1c46c84.jpg

And then the fun begins, I got a little involved and forgot to take a lot of photos. The next step is shaping a solid piece to fit against the top and center pieces, lightly attach it to my wafer thin backing with just two small drops of CA, then shape it to fit flush and follow the flow of the bottom of the hull. My recently acquired foam sanders in different shapes came in handy. Of course the key is to sand the piece flush but not go through the bottom of the already sanded hull, which I managed not to do.

1081853305_Post23-2669.jpg.192904d36deb2f035e59e9fb1a425301.jpg

With it sanded smooth and a flush fit, using 180, 220, and finally 320 sandpaper, I pried it off with pair of pliers...not... Actually very carefully with an extremely thin putty blade. I marked a 1/8th line along the curve using my digital caliper and a series of marks as I moved it around the outside of the curve. I don’t have a scroll saw, I was able to rough out the curve with my #11 blade, one benefit of using the thinner 3/32 wood I suppose. I cut away from the line and then carefully sanded it down to the 1/8 mark - measuring the top flat part of the wood. The sanded slant doesn’t matter and is not included in the 1/8.

1210585836_Post23-2673.jpg.ad1fe6c2a7b312b0ab290cb18733d910.jpg

With both sides complete I attached them permanently and began the process of filling them with 3/16 wide planks cut from the 3/32 wood (although plank width, regular planks are too thin). I didn’t take any photos of that process. I first sanded the top angle to match the top piece (I never changed that angle on my Byrnes Sander so it was easy to match). then measured the two lengths of the bottom angle to fit….and yes while 10 planks are fitted, more than 10 were cut - my scrap pile got a little taller. I also used my phatic glue and cedar saw dust to fill in gaps. There was only one, otherwise I was perfect. I can say that because they are all nicely filled and no one can tell now…ok there were two…ok more than two.

All sterns are different, mine being no exception - I had to use a piece of 6mm wide (about 1-2mm wider than 3/16 wood) for the teeny tiny triangle of the outer most piece to fill the gap. This is the mindset I have been able to adjust to, differing from kits. I have a lot of uncut wood in various thicknesses, I’m not limited to what’s in the kit - so I needed wider piece I cut a wider piece.

1512947645_Post23-2674.jpg.cf3dc3d26fa82342dd5fde892ed9fcdc.jpg

And now I have a square tuck, though I still don’t know what’s square about it. It's not perfect. Once I finished mine I stopped looking at Chuck’s nice photos in his monograph, no good can come from that. So I've added a little more character to my model.

I have the counter sanded ready to paint red but I’m not going to do that until I get a good tight fit of the stern post. For whatever reason at the moment I’m not close to it fitting tight - hard to know what part to sand where. That’s a challenge for tomorrow.

Regards,

Glenn

Wow! Very neat - superb carpentry 👍

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

19 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Once I finished mine I stopped looking at Chuck’s nice photos in his monograph,

Hehehehe

Your square tuck looks very neat and clean

22 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Well done

I need to again be clear that Cheerful comes with a live coach. On many more than one occasion I’ve reached out and quickly got expert advice from Chuck, including here. Thanks Chuck!!

Regards,

Glenn

14 minutes ago, DelF said:

carpentry

13 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

square tuck looks

Thanks guys. I’m kinda happy with it if I can just stop looking at the errors. 

Regards,

Glenn

Neat and tidy, something I can only aspire to, great woodworking Glenn 👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Superb work as usual and a very instructive step by step again. Thank you !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone, they are appreciated and inspirational!

Regards,

Glenn

18 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I’m kinda happy with it if I can just stop looking at the errors. 

Your planking is excellent. I'm just like you though. We're our own worst critics! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

20 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Cheerful is next on my stocks

It's a challenging but interesting build, you'll enjoy it.

3 hours ago, BobG said:

We're our own worst critics

I'm going to run out of wood if I don't quit critiquing myself 😄

4 hours ago, garthog said:

Beautiful work and a great narration

I enjoy the writing, thank you Garthog 🙂

4 hours ago, Geowolf said:

one of the best planking

Thank you! 

Regards,

Glenn

13 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

nice work, Glen

Thank you for saying so.

8 hours ago, JpR62 said:

very instructive step by step again

I hope it proves helpful to others

13 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

I'd be very happy with that

I refer to your Cheerful log a lot, thank you.

13 hours ago, mugje said:

That's beautiful

I appreciate your thinking so.

Regards,

Glenn

I've started lining the lower planking belt. It is a chore but so worth the effort once the planking starts.  I also use the plans to add a vertical hashmark where the plank joints are so I remember to cut the planks the proper lengths.

Really though I just wanted to share a photo of my ***RED*** counter. For Cheerful I wanted to go RED or go home, I think I'm successful. I've never used anything but Admiralty Paints Red Ochre, this Golden Medium Cadium Red makes a statement. 😄

Of course I've already painted the gun ports a long while ago, but the counter really pops against the gold of the Alaskan Cedar. (five thin coats in case you're wondering).

1759696927_Post23.5-.jpg.1f8dc8b136001faa1748aeb05975579c.jpg

Regards,

Glenn