HMS Prince of Wales by Lt. Biggles - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Pontos detail up set - first ship build

Hey,

I’ve not had much time lately but did finally get all the crew painted. 

From this

2DFEA614-3BE1-4903-92F5-0A2E4E3A1819.thumb.jpeg.c086cb7424b7093d43695bded929fddb.jpeg

To this 

AC27F92B-5EEB-467B-9A40-936EB820D3BA.thumb.jpeg.5ed77ffc7823bcaecb9e062d7b050516.jpeg

by the end got pretty good at them. 

-Cut them off the base, glued any broken legs and arms back on.

-Dry brushed blue over the gloss base blue to make them matt.

-Painted the white collar details.

-Painted faces and hands skin colour including but not limited to: freckles and individual eye colours... not one has the same eye colour 😂!

-Painted shoes black.

-Made them watch a 15 minute “health and safety” video about the hazards aboard the ship.

Will send the last 20 crew on board tomorrow.

63C1829A-622F-4CC6-91B4-18C82C0C0E6F.jpeg.9b535318bba1da8c5fb017c4c4c7a700.jpeg

Will find someone with a good camera and see if I can get some clear detailed shots once it’s finished.

9 hours ago, Lt. Biggles said:

Made them watch a 15 minute “health and safety” video about the hazards aboard the ship

That must be one of the differences of the Navy and the Army. We had to watch a "Health and Safety" film about the hazards OUTSIDE of the base!:unsure:

Beautiful build, I like that you took it a notch higher with the addition of crewmen. It really brings life to the ship. Not long there was a build I saw that was a FANTASTICLY realistic build and just begged for the addition of crew. I would have even provided the builder with the crew but there was no way under the circumstances.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looking good especially with the crew.  I can't imagine trying to paint them at this scale.  I bow to the master. :imNotWorthy:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey, just a quick update. 

All the crew are painted and on.

thought that they would improve as I got more practice but no stayed pretty consistent but got faster as efficiency increased. They were far too small that any increase in painting quality would mean I would have painted about 5 by now! 

Which means I’m sorting out the white water and she is complete! 

Its the most challenging part and am not rushing it, lots of tests and I work on it when in the right mindset as I feel it will make or break the final look of it.

I didn’t like the fluffy look the cotton made along the ships side so brushed on a gloss varnish to remove that look so will add another layer as it really changed it.

20D9049B-222C-4680-8634-9DA74AC70AF3.thumb.jpeg.41882b4b20521b0895fcc56c74e07416.jpeg

All those little things make all the difference it’s crazy! I’ve been looking at so many pics and videos about the movement of water that when I’m at the beach I look out over the ocean and the first thing I think is “that looks fake” then I laugh at myself and wonder if I’ve gone abit crazy 😂

6 hours ago, Lt. Biggles said:

Which means I’m sorting out the white water and she is complete! 

Its the most challenging part and am not rushing it, lots of tests and I work on it when in the right mindset as I feel it will make or break the final look of it.

I didn’t like the fluffy look the cotton made along the ships side so brushed on a gloss varnish to remove that look so will add another layer as it really changed it.

Right now given the pics you've posted she looks like she is doing 10-12 knots in the channel or over smooth seas.... the look is perfect... you don't have a ton of wake and no bow or stern wave

I would say leave it the way it is.... looks to good to mess with anymore in my humble opinion....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Looks fantastic.  I agree with Egilman.  Great work!!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

10 hours ago, Egilman said:

Right now given the pics you've posted she looks like she is doing 10-12 knots in the channel or over smooth seas.... the look is perfect... you don't have a ton of wake and no bow or stern wave

I would say leave it the way it is.... looks to good to mess with anymore in my humble opinion....

Thanks, and spot on. I did the workings out for a bow wave height at 10 kts and her size and for the scale would be 5-9mm high. Which is what I made on the sea base. I agree there isn’t too much white water and am not planning to add much more but would like alittle on the first few Cm of the bow wave that kinda just stops and has abit of residual white just outside the boundary layer white water. A bit like this shot of an American BB (I think)

76B6D582-BE5C-45E2-BB4F-05CE109E8597.jpeg.6ac2ba17de985f4f279c1950c037653b.jpeg

this next shot shows it well but want a much reduced version of this.

0669D241-46C5-4B94-9FCF-CBF8D12433B8.jpeg.7c3978033e504836f2e201c97317eae4.jpeg

but you can see the two two different layers of wake well here. I’d like to have about 20% of what’s here. 

I like how the bow wave white water seems to run out of energy and then gets left behind as it slowly dissipates.

1 hour ago, Lt. Biggles said:

but you can see the two two different layers of wake well here. I’d like to have about 20% of what’s here. 

I like how the bow wave white water seems to run out of energy and then gets left behind as it slowly dissipates.

Yeah it does especially when driving into an approaching sea like those two US battleships are doing.... what causes that bow wake is force throwing the water to the side, that is what a clipper bow is for to turn the water.... Both those ships are above 15 kts at least probably closer to 18, (the South Dakota probably even faster than that) which was normal cruising speed for the fast attack groups in the pacific.....

Your ship my friend, all I can say it is looks right on in my humble opinion.... you need some swell in the water to cause a bow wave, and your water is fairly flat and calm....

Beautiful model..... Well done...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

56 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Yeah it does especially when driving into an approaching sea like those two US battleships are doing.... what causes that bow wake is force throwing the water to the side, that is what a clipper bow is for to turn the water.... Both those ships are above 15 kts at least probably closer to 18, (the South Dakota probably even faster than that) which was normal cruising speed for the fast attack groups in the pacific.....

Your ship my friend, all I can say it is looks right on in my humble opinion.... you need some swell in the water to cause a bow wave, and your water is fairly flat and calm....

Beautiful model..... Well done...

This is good stuff thanks mate. I’m more than happy to get this right and I’m no expert in the field so please don’t hold back this very useful information I really appreciate it.

so maybe I’ve not quite got the sea base correct as I did add a bow wave to it. Here are some pic that make the wave stand out so you can see. I measured angles and all sorts using all the bow wave formulas I could find online.

EDAAAE9B-741B-4D38-8C4B-E080C6837951.thumb.jpeg.543d3305ba7ff166fbc16e6b2581cfb9.jpeg

CDA56803-9C0A-435F-B19C-037947D2D37B.thumb.jpeg.8fdb7aefc5764d2c36203bd638facad5.jpeg

Should that bow wave not exist for a speed of no more than 12 kts?

or would it be there just with no white water on it? 

Its about 5mm high so head on it hardly sticks up.

8F6111C3-14C7-4766-B5A0-C48F35672A0C.thumb.jpeg.f998894df8e3b3f3be9f8ead579ebd24.jpeg

but it is there and shaded to show the light passing through.

perhaps the wave is ok and I shouldn’t add white water or it’s too big and has to go. From what you have said so far I’m happy with just the boundary layer and wake having the white water.

I’d always thought the bow wave was related to the ships speed as the water the ship is displacing has to go somewhere... so it went sideways.

please keep the info coming 

That's not really a bow wave my friend, A bow wave would swamp a small boat encountering one, that's a bow ripple, exactly as it should be.... 

Something you will never see unless the light hits it just the right way... You post a bow on pic that is absolutely perfect....

You don't need any white water to show action.....  If you create a sea state with 5'-20' swells THEN you will have white water, particularly if your running under some power, if you create a ship traveling at 27-30 kts you will have white water and a rooster tail with a huge wake... (and yes battleships could and did put up rooster tails)

You have a beautiful depiction of a ship on cruise, easy water and smooth sailing...... But the water is live, the ship is live, together they depict a classic understated power.....

Exactly what a classic british battleship should state...

You have managed to capture something that few modelers can.... and many try....

I wouldn't change a thing.... It's stunningly beautiful....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

That's not really a bow wave my friend, A bow wave would swamp a small boat encountering one, that's a bow ripple, exactly as it should be.... 

Something you will never see unless the light hits it just the right way... You post a bow on pic that is absolutely perfect....

You don't need any white water to show action.....  If you create a sea state with 5'-20' swells THEN you will have white water, particularly if your running under some power, if you create a ship traveling at 27-30 kts you will have white water and a rooster tail with a huge wake... (and yes battleships could and did put up rooster tails)

You have a beautiful depiction of a ship on cruise, easy water and smooth sailing...... But the water is live, the ship is live, together they depict a classic understated power.....

Exactly what a classic british battleship should state...

You have managed to capture something that few modelers can.... and many try....

I wouldn't change a thing.... It's stunningly beautiful....

Thanks for the input. You have changed my mind on what to do. I’ll fix up the boundary layer wake that has some gaps and also touch up the prop wash area but I’ll not add white water to the “bow ripple” haha. I’ll keep the white water down to a minimum.

After seeing pictures of ships going fast and the whole rooster tail wash it’s a mess and would be very hard to replicate well without heaps of practice which is why I went for the cruise look.

My intention was having her cruising about quietly confident while looking for trouble type impression.

14 hours ago, Lt. Biggles said:

My intention was having her cruising about quietly confident while looking for trouble type impression.

Not so much looking for trouble, but ready for it if it comes.....

And my opinion is you've nailed it......

Well done my friend....

Quote:

It looks perfect to me just as it is   - please dont spoil it    You know the saying.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

10 hours ago, Egilman said:

Not so much looking for trouble, but ready for it if it comes.....

And my opinion is you've nailed it......

Well done my friend....

I hope she is ready for trouble if it comes as I’ve put brass barrels on her!

haha

i had to fill in some gaps between ship and water so just did another thin round and tomorrow I’ll go over it and fit it to size with a coat of varnish.

thanks again for the tips

Fantastic work, just wow!  Looks amazing!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

9 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Beautifully done. Excellent.

Yves

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Fantastic work, just wow!  Looks amazing!

3 hours ago, TomShipModel said:

This model is truly a work or art!  Beautiful and very realistic.

AMEN Brothers!!!!

For a first build, Very, Very, well done..... Something to be proud of....

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and more importantly for the tips and advice that’s been given! I’ve learnt way more than I ever wanted to know about this ship and the sea (in a good way though)

I touched up the wake and for a few minutes thought she was finished!! 

Took some pics in the sun.

A92184AC-E45B-4665-819C-2CA3444EEFC5.thumb.jpeg.71d8845bf705cebc37585a76c7971765.jpeg

AD77CF33-85F7-46F9-BD73-D3C8F2AACA84.thumb.jpeg.3cca33379f0105b2f1b4697212b8a694.jpeg

761DE766-BF81-45AA-A5B9-F2085C0C01FD.thumb.jpeg.0a98121015785d2e3ace3220debd1124.jpeg

33B4B1F1-41C0-490F-B764-D6D06DF78D18.thumb.jpeg.30564b907e1720adac14052bae62343b.jpeg

Then I remembered about the ensign as I’d looked it up but had found no pics of her sailing with one flying until I did find some...

106C3F13-3603-4809-B4A0-38D8C9DD94FF.jpeg.971b9fd03f809f8868efd94a1608301b.jpeg

so did more research and read the rules and etiquette of flags at sea and it says

“an ensign must be flown when in foreign waters during daylight hours”

so unless I’ve missed something that’s what I’ll now research and do. 

Is there any way to find out the correct halyard setup for flying flags and ensigns? All the official plans only have the main rigging but can’t find anything on all the small stuff. That pic shows the flag flying where there is no rope on any plans, drawings or pics I’ve ever seen. 

Get her in a case to protect all your superb work  for eternity.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

National ensigns at sea fly from the mainmast.... while in port they fly from the sternpost....

The mast that sticks up from the forward superstructure is the foremast and the one from the stern structure is the mainmast.... (doesn't matter the actual size or height of the mast itself)

Rules of the sea hundreds of years old....

The names of the masts come from ship building custom, the foremast is always the first mast, the mainmast is usually the second mast on a warship with two or three masts......

The rigging is fairly simple, a flag halyard rises from a stanchion or anchor spot, up to the flag yard or jib boom thru a fairlead/pully and down to the stanchion again... 

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Beautiful work that captures the mood totally.    There's an old saying about artists (and this is art for sure) " Every artist needs a canvas and a critic with a gun.  When the work is done, the critic should shoot the artist so he doesn't go too far."   

You're there.  Add your flag and put her in a case or we'll have to send the critic to your workshop.  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

22 hours ago, mtaylor said:

You're there.  Add your flag and put her in a case or we'll have to send the critic to your workshop.  :rolleyes:

No need to send the critic!! 😅

You guys are right! I’ll leave her as is and add the flag and call it finished.

Im really happy with how she came out.

Ive ordered some flags and they will be here next year.

13 hours ago, RGL said:

What Mr Taylor said 

Err.... I'm Mark. My dad is Mr. Taylor.   :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey small update, got an email today that the flags I ordered almost a month ago will be shipped next week! The joys of this time of year.

Also I finally brought a new camera to replace the one that got stolen while on holiday a year ago so been learning its features and it can take more adventurous photos than my phone so here are a few.

12AC9370-F9CF-4C05-A01A-42FEA0430B2C.thumb.jpeg.3acf19a1ff24959aa13c398405f21f70.jpeg

1ACB831E-9CE3-40F5-BCCE-721EB940F8E4.thumb.jpeg.afa98eca1c79b146fc360423f3b7f483.jpeg

0A1068BD-DD4B-4F9B-8D6C-B59D23A127D3.thumb.jpeg.3cfb0cbca4e56329f2f3f133e2c1de6b.jpeg

2E4FF1A1-F185-4D43-AD30-8F22C051263C.thumb.jpeg.f5c0234da2f95ae30fdf0ffd141b17c6.jpeg