HMS Prince of Wales by Lt. Biggles - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Pontos detail up set - first ship build

WOW! That #1 photo is impressive. What camera did you get?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 minutes ago, lmagna said:

WOW! That #1 photo is impressive. What camera did you get?

I stumbled across that angle and quite liked it!

I have a canon g1x mkIII

On a big Boxing Day sale. Much better cameras out there for model pictures but it’s ideal to have in my pocket while travelling... whenever that starts again!!

The picture is impressive not only for the angle but the closeness and sharpness. Makes one feel like he is standing on the deck of the PT 109!

Looked up your camera and it doesn't look much like a pocket camera to me!:unsure:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

The picture is impressive not only for the angle but the closeness and sharpness. Makes one feel like he is standing on the deck of the PT 109!

Looked up your camera and it doesn't look much like a pocket camera to me!:unsure:

My first priority is small size as I don’t like carrying around a massive camera around the world, and then just the best internals that can squeeze in. So it’s got a great sensor and brain. It will do nicely for what I need

Beautiful shot.....

Nice camera....

Wonderful wish for when I get rich and famous.... {chuckle}

Beautiful ship, beautiful model.... nothing more needs to be said IMHO....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all! Been waiting for the flag to arrive and it finally did! In the mean time I have gone and got another camera for astrophotography and a telescope and a bunch of other equipment! So that has kept me busy as I want to get so nice planet and deep space pictures... 

D608E108-4B26-43E4-903D-28551CE7AAEE.thumb.jpeg.d38dee6a53817d6ce24c4ecd9bfcbe1c.jpeg

But the flags arrived and I can finish my project!

tried a few things with string but impossible for it to maintain any shape so I’ve had to use my thinest wire!

8D02DB62-B564-4354-8C0D-903FF8B5FA21.jpeg.e9d56cb40ad24760229fffee17edd193.jpeg

and spent the morning watching videos videos on how to make a flag look realistic and it’s not easy at all!

17B176DA-873A-4428-B4F1-2473AD79C8D2.thumb.jpeg.3e51dcfc8e77bb72f77402c0e54ecc68.jpeg

but ive got 4 flags to practice with and then I guess I’ll use the best looking one! 

Which means the next lot of pictures will be with a flag on... hopefully not looking odd and it will be on a complete model! Wow weird to think it’s finished!! But it’s finally arrived!!

Best thing I found  - soak the flag in watery PVA  then crunch it to get it to fold  in the  position  you want, then let it dry/set before attaching the cord/rope/fine thread.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

10 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Best thing I found  - soak the flag in watery PVA  then crunch it to get it to fold  in the  position  you want, then let it dry/set before attaching the cord/rope/fine thread.

OC.

Sweet as! Nice tip, will do just that.

thanks

I use a method that Chuck at Syren uses.  I have done UK ensigns using this method in 1:96, but, it will work nicely in 1:350 .

First, find the flag that you want on the internet.  Copy the flag into your word processor program (I use Word) and resize it to what you need.  You may need to do a few trial prints until you get the correct size.  Once you do, print it out on an ink jet printer.  Now, take tissue paper, or silk span, and tape it over the printed flag.  Load the paper back into the printer and then print again on the silk span or tissue paper leaving a flap on the fly of the flag.  You will be folding that flap over the flag halyard.

Let it dry thoroughly.

Now, Remove the tissue flag and fold the flap over the halyard (it's not on the model yet).  Glue it down with white glue of clear mate medium like Liquidtex.

Put the halyard on a fixture (like a third hand) so the the line is taught.  Now, spray the flag with mate laquer (I use Krylon).

While it is still wet, shape the flag as needed.  A small dowel or paint brush handle works well.

If you don't like how it flies, spray again.

Here are the results on my 1:96 HMF Liverpool.

Best regareds,

WIN_20201114_09_24_01_Scan (2) - Copy.jpg

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Stunning work!  Photographing a model close up is very telling in that what the naked eye would hide can now be seen.  There are no flaws on this model.  Excellent workmanship and very realistic.

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Wow fantastic work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Incredibly lifelike with the crew about and all the details.  Very well done and presented.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree, with the combinations of excellent build and finish and finishing off with the crew and sea, this is really an unmatched build truly worthy of any museum. congratulations on a fine model.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

For a first ship model, a very difficult subject as well, with a PE set that goes to extremes, then setting it on a perfectly sculpted base.....

Utterly outstanding!!! blue ribbon material my friend.....

I could drool at this kind of art all day long......

Very, VERY well done.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 2/14/2021 at 7:28 PM, RGL said:

Soooooo what’s next?

Good question, it’s too hot and humid at the moment for any painting and my thin superglue is thicker than golden syrup so I’m not doing anything till after summer. But I’ve 2 options. Someone here gave me HMS warspite (academy 1:350, with some pe, brass barrels and wood deck) I will make it for them. The other option is trying to find a model of HMNZS Achilles, a Leander class light cruiser. My Grandad served on her during the war. So would be good, but can’t find anything except a full resin kit so at this stage it’s just a nice idea.

Can’t do anything that doesn’t have a good PE kit though! Just adds so much. Any good ideas for me to try? I’m new to the ship model world.

I agree  with Greg.

Fully recommend the Academy 1/350  Warspite  (as I built her  in the forum)    Its a Superb kit  and well worh getting the Full Potos Update  set for it  as it includes  - Decking, lots and lots of PE  goodies  even some brass and Resin parts.

I know you would do a Fantastic job of that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The weathering would be fun on an AV3! 

I had a look through your build log of Warspite OC, she looks great and seems like a good looking ship too. Seeing I’ve got that kit here I’ll have to read up on her exploits to get to know her. The kit is set in 1943 so camo! I’ll practice that on my hurricane build as it does add an extra layer of complexity to a ship. Just hope she was busy and not freshly painted. I don’t think this one will take so long! I learnt a lot during this build... mainly what’s not worth getting perfect only to be covered over and never seen haha!!

13 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

The weathering would be fun on an AV3! 

I had a look through your build log of Warspite OC, she looks great and seems like a good looking ship too. Seeing I’ve got that kit here I’ll have to read up on her exploits to get to know her. The kit is set in 1943 so camo! I’ll practice that on my hurricane build as it does add an extra layer of complexity to a ship. Just hope she was busy and not freshly painted. I don’t think this one will take so long! I learnt a lot during this build... mainly what’s not worth getting perfect only to be covered over and never seen haha!!

Thats good to know mate,   will follow that with interest when you start.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

31 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thats good to know mate,   will follow that with interest when you start.

OC.

your build log will be the first place I go when I’m unsure how something goes together! Often build logs are a lot more useful than the instructions and plans!

6 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

your build log will be the first place I go when I’m unsure how something goes together! Often build logs are a lot more useful than the instructions and plans!

Any help I can offer - just shout  (I have Big Ears)  lol.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.