I am ready to plank my ship which has no solid frame knockouts or strong back.  Also, it has a false deck in place which is not strong enough to attach any kind of holding rod or device. I think the stem and stern are not strong enough to use. 

Does anyone have experience or ideas?

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project

I'm not clear on what you are asking, and I don't know what is meant by "frame knockouts or strong back." What kit are you working on, and can you post a picture.

BTW, I have completed four POB hulls and never used a keel clamp or building board -- have always just held the hull in my lap while I worked (and tempted to add "and I have the scars to prove it," but actually I've never really had much trouble).

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

You will find the devices used to hold a hull while planking range from the fanciest store bought and home made clamping devices (some made custom for only one type of ship) to an old dirty pillow. Like most things in this hobby it all depends on you budget and what you are comfortable with.

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I'm not clear on what you are asking, and I don't know what is meant by "frame knockouts or strong back." What kit are you working on, and can you post a picture.

BTW, I have completed four POB hulls and never used a keel clamp or building board -- have always just held the hull in my lap while I worked (and tempted to add "and I have the scars to prove it," but actually I've never really had much trouble).

A previous build, Model Shipways Armed Longboat, had frames which were like shown below. 92C69856-DABB-4114-A0E9-B098F55B4320.thumb.jpeg.d1dc27dfb7ef04211b5678574df1eef9.jpeg
My current build, Dusek Gokstad has neither the frame centers intact (to be removed or knocked out later) or the attached “plank” or “strong-back” running from stem to stern. 

Paul

Ah, now I see. We have a number of completed Viking longboat builds in the kit build logs section, some quite recent. Try browsing them to see if those modelers made any suggestions.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, Osmosis said:

You will find the devices used to hold a hull while planking range from the fanciest store bought and home made clamping devices (some made custom for only one type of ship) to an old dirty pillow. Like most things in this hobby it all depends on you budget and what you are comfortable with.

The pillow approach gives me an idea. I think a homemade “bean bag” would work well. Thanks 😎

Paul