Greetings from Southern California

Greetings everyone. I hope everyone and your family's are healthy and safe during these crazy times.

I used to do model ship kits about 2 decades ago. I have only ever done up to intermediate work of marginal skill and quality. Mostly smaller kits like Viking Ships but I did complete the Blue Nose II with full rigging. With spending more time at home (although still fully explored thankfully) I am starting to spend time doing some model work again.

Model Slipways opened up for business and I decided to take rather severe advantage of their back in business sale and so now have enough kits to keep me occupied for the next 2 years easy. So for my first project I am working on the 18th Century Long Boat MS1457 at 1/24 scale. 

I am doing some good things but making many poor choices as well where wish I had read and taken more time to read the directions more thoroughly before making some choices. That being said it is so much fun and rewarding to see the long boat start to take shape. The point of starting with a beginner kit is to work out some of the kinks and remind myself of the lost skills, etc. It is looking like this hobby has come a long way in the last couple of decades and I am really excited to improve my skills and see what others are working on.

Enclosed is a picture (to be honest I am somewhat embarrassed with the quality) but I am having so much fun I just have to post it. The painting and such is to my liking at this time rather then a true re-creation.

I will post more pictures in the proper forum section as things progress but I think this constitutes a fair greeting. You will note that I am using some customer Oak wood for planing and choose to go with brass as I didn't want to paint the items and I don't have the chemicals (yet!) to properly blacken the items.

Cheers and take care.

-Devin

1490358342_LongBoat.thumb.jpg.a73975ceebd47e77b455ea9fdf7b62e6.jpg

Current Build: San Francisco (original) - Artesania Latina

Completed: 

Longboat 18th Century (MS1457) - Model Shipways

Bluenose II - Billings

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome aboard, Devin! I'm a NorCal ex-pat living in South Carolina, but I did some time in SoCal as well: Echo Park, Pasadena, Montrose, Pomona, and Upland. Your longboat looks very nice.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW, Devin.   You model looks pretty good.  A lot better than my first wooden one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!  Your model is coming along nicely!  It is much better than my first wood one was!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I so want to visit down under. Hope you are all safe and sound. But visiting your continent is a life dream I want to make a higher priority.

Completed: 

Bluenose II - Billings

What flavor of SOCAL are you?  LA area or San Diego area (or option C)?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

From PNW a Warm Welcome in these uncertain times. 
Having a hobby will keep one from insanity. Glad you got back to it.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

8 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Don't forget San Francisco and Sacramento!

San Francisco is Northern California-maybe.  Central.  Certainly not southern.

Sacramento is, well....Sacramento.  It is like the New Jersey of California, with fewer beaches. :D

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I certainly don't think of San Francisco as Southern California but maybe that is because I was raised in the Bay Area and now live in the Greater Los Angeles area. I think most (or at least me) consider San Francisco as really the southern part of Northern California.

Completed: 

Bluenose II - Billings

2 hours ago, Allamagoosa said:

I think most (or at least me) consider San Francisco as really the southern part of Northern California.

Just a little pet joke of mine -- I grew up in Humboldt County, so San Francisco was pretty far south! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Welcome!  Very nice looking longboat 😊. It’s my understanding that the longboat kit isn’t exactly considered beginner.  So it’s much harder then it looks, so you’ve done even better then you thought!  And of course we are our own worst critics.  

The Long Boat is getting better. I did some re-work. I am still compromising some standards but it is still nice.

One thing that I think caught me off guard is the scale is 1:24 and that is pretty small and perhaps in some ways hence harder to work with.

Things that I regret and will do better on the next ship

• Have more patience
  • Use less Cyano Acrylic and more wood glue. The Cyano Acrylic stains the wood and it looks awful.
  • Take deep long breaths and relax more
  • Read the directions cover to cover before starting.
  • Relax more. Have patience
  • Alignment of the Hull is essential to good planking and subsequent work. Take the time to make sure things are properly aligned. You patience will be rewarded.
  • It isn't a sprint. It is a marathon. Have patience.
  • Read more about the definitions. Learn what a rabbit line is, things like this all of which will come in time.

I will say this. I am having so much fun.

-D

Completed: 

Bluenose II - Billings

On 5/10/2020 at 12:21 PM, ccoyle said:

Just a little pet joke of mine -- I grew up in Humboldt County, so San Francisco was pretty far south! 😉

I love Humboldt country.

I regularly drive up to the Avenue of the Giants and on to Prairie Creek State park. I love it up there.

Completed: 

Bluenose II - Billings

Patience is everything, I’m still learning.

Edited by Duanelaker

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the site. Southern California has some great clubs - The Ship Model Guild that meets at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum in the north. The Ship Modelers Association that meets in Fullerton and the San Diego Ship Modelers Guild that meets at the Maritime Museum of San Diego. We all have web sites. This site is an invaluable source of information, but you just can't beat hands on help that a real life club can offer.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134

30 minutes ago, Larry Van Es said:

you just can't beat hands on help that a real life club can offer

Now, wait just a minute ... actually, I agree with that, but since I haven't had a local club since 2003, MSW will have to do! 😁

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Now, wait just a minute ... actually, I agree with that, but since I haven't had a local club since 2003, MSW will have to do! 😁

What's a local club?  I've heard of them.  MSW has been my club since way back when, even before the Great Crash.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another welcome from Down Under.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:55 AM, Allamagoosa said:

I so want to visit down under. Hope you are all safe and sound. But visiting your continent is a life dream I want to make a higher priority.

We had been doing very well, but currently in my State (Victoria - the one at bottom right of the map) we're getting an average of 300 new cases a day in and around the capital city, Melbourne. We've now got increased restrictions, but they're relatively recent and it remains to be seen what the results will be. At least we're not having exponential growth and we're hoping that after the current 6 week lockdown things will become a bit more normal.

Once this is all over, you'd be very welcome.You can catch a kangaroo from the airport to your hotel - just watch out for the drop bears! :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 9:15 PM, Louie da fly said:

Another welcome from Down Under.

We had been doing very well, but currently in my State (Victoria - the one at bottom right of the map) we're getting an average of 300 new cases a day in and around the capital city, Melbourne. We've now got increased restrictions, but they're relatively recent and it remains to be seen what the results will be. At least we're not having exponential growth and we're hoping that after the current 6 week lockdown things will become a bit more normal.

Once this is all over, you'd be very welcome.You can catch a kangaroo from the airport to your hotel - just watch out for the drop bears! :P

Well, LA isn't doing very well at this time so I have a while I expect before I am allowed to travel to any foreign country. I have never traveled by Roo. I would love to try. I tried travel by Koala once but that didn't end well for the Kuoala.

Completed: 

Bluenose II - Billings