Pen Duick by BobG - Artesania Latina - 1:28

Hi Bob, Glad to see you getting back to your beautiful ship, though a year spent with your guitars and bike sounds like a year well spent to me. All best,

Hake

2 minutes ago, HakeZou said:

Hi Bob, Glad to see you getting back to your beautiful ship, though a year spent with your guitars and bike sounds like a year well spent to me. All best,

Hake

Thanks Hake. In spite of Covid and the shutdowns, my wife and I feel fortunate to have avoided the heartache and suffering of so many have had in the past year. Cycling was one of the few activities I felt relatively safe doing outside of the house and my guitar skills have taken a giant step forward. I'm enjoying it so much more now!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Me too

Hey Glenn, when will you be starting the Flirt. I've been thinking starting it while I'm still working on finishing the Pen Duick. I think the rigging on the Pen Duick is going to be slow going for me so maybe the Flirt will keep my morale up. So I'm waiting for your build log to lead the way for me. That ought to keep me on the right path and avoid making a mess of things!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I’ve started. If I do a log it will be a little lighter weight than my Cheerful log. It took almost as much time as the building did. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

5 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I’ve started. If I do a log it will be a little lighter weight than my Cheerful log. It took almost as much time as the building did. 

I hear that, Glenn, but I hoping you'll decide to take us along for the ride too. 👍

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

42 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Me too!!

Cheers....HOF.

Hello HOF,

Nice to hear from you. What are you working on now?

I'm afraid the past year and a half has gotten away from me in the blink of an eye: Covid running rampant everywhere, some personal health scares (all turned out to be false alarms), toxic politics, wildfires burning all over the western USA and the climate going to hell faster than a speeding bullet. It got to be all too much for me so I just escaped into my guitars and cycling, social distancing and staying away from people in risky places! I got tired of trying to figure out the confusing AL rigging plans for the Pen Duick also. It wasn't feeling like fun so, unfortunately, I exited my model shipyard too. 

I tend to go full bore into one thing or another. Moderation is not my strong suit but I'm trying to make room for some more modeling soon.

Hope all is well,

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a crazy 1 1/2 years since I last sat down at my small, modeling desk and did any work on the Pen Duick but, after spending some time cleaning up my work area and reorganizing things a bit, I actually got back to working on this model.

I've been looking for some good sources of information about the rigging and fittings on the Pen Duick since the Artesania Latina photos and instructions leave a lot to be desired. Luckily, I found some old French model boat magazines, Modèle Réduit de Bateau, on eBay France that had articles about building the Pen Duick with many helpful photos particularly of the deck and various fittings. Of course, I con't read French but I can use an online translator to help me out. I'll be referring to these magazines to help me better see and understand the deck fittings and the rigging. It's amazing what you can find on the internet if you look hard enough!

IMG_5751.thumb.jpg.8d621b341c8931c49e1653fc3276eb7e.jpg

IMG_5753.thumb.jpg.1342a828d9865a882d4b027438864a9b.jpg 

I decided to try and make some hinges for the forward hatch and the skylights. I thought they would add a bit of nice detail to them. I used some brass strip 0.3 mm x 2.0 mm and about 8 mm in length before trimming the ends and bending them to fit. After gluing them to the hatch and the skylights with medium CA, I snipped tiny pieces of 0.75 mm copper wire and glued them to the hinges to simulate the hinge pins. It was time consuming and tedious working under my magnifier lamp but I'm happy with how they turned out.

IMG_5744.thumb.jpg.1a6dcb539adcc3079b0c2e8d1f87d36e.jpg

IMG_5745.thumb.jpg.88d1b97ad50b6b1475fb7235fb902317.jpg

I plan to study the magazine photos some more and then add more of the deck fittings and deck furniture while beginning to tackle the rigging. With the help of a couple of books I have, Hand, Reef and Steer by Tom Cunliffe and Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Monfeld, I hope to be able to figure out the rigging close enough for this model.

I had fun today and I'm looking forward to making more progress on this model. Thanks to all for stopping by.  

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Glad you’re back building. Next up Vanguard model of your choice 👏🏼👏🏼👍🏻

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Welcome back, Bob! I know there are a bunch of us on MSW who are francophones, so feel free to post any passages from the magazine article that seem important. I'm happy to help, although I'm still learning the French shipbuilding terminology.

30 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Glad you’re back building. Next up Vanguard model of your choice 👏🏼👏🏼👍🏻

My next model is going to be a tough choice. I'm just easily attracted to a wide variety of boats and ships and other models.

6 minutes ago, HakeZou said:

Welcome back, Bob! I know there are a bunch of us on MSW who are francophones, so feel free to post any passages from the magazine article that seem important. I'm happy to help, although I'm still learning the French shipbuilding terminology.

Thanks Hake! I'll see how the online translator works for me but, if that fails, I'll ask for help from the MSW francophones.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Nice to see you back at this lovely model Bob. I look forward to seeing you finish her.

Thanks Don, Grant and Harry for stopping by. I always look forward to following your excellent builds too.

I'm afraid this is going to be slow going for a while while I figure things out as I go along and I'm thinking of starting another build to fill in the gaps and add some variety to my modeling at the same time. 

My wife and I are heading over to San Francisco next week for a week to celebrate my 75th birthday. I'm a bit shocked wondering how all those years got by so quickly when I think about it! 😳

We love SF and we'll be visiting our son and going to a couple of SF Giants baseball games while we are there. We're big Giants fans and the they have the best record in baseball currently. We plan to go to the Van Gogh exhibit, spend an evening at a jazz club and maybe take in the Maritime Museum as well. We'll also being enjoying the great variety of cuisine that you can find in all the wonderful, little, neighborhood restaurants and we'll certainly get plenty of exercise walking up and down the steep hills as we poke around the city.

Cheers!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hey Bob, glad to see you're getting back into the model shipyard.  And happy birthday!  Hope you have a great trip to the City.  I grew up as a Giants fan and remember (barely) watching them at Seals Stadium before Candlestick was built.  But baseball doesn't interest me much any more (maybe because the nearest MLB team is the Mariners ☹️), but that's OK, I watch Sounders and some international soccer, grand slam tennis, Tour de France and of course Gonzaga basketball.  Nice thing about being our age is that we have much greater freedom to do what pleases us, including stepping out of the shipyard for a while and pursuing other passions.  Kudos for doing that.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Thanks for stopping by, Tom. I'm looking forward to working in the my shipyard again.

I've really enjoyed getting back into playing my guitars also. My cycling took a bit of hiatus recently though. I took nasty crash over the bars on a downhill curve when I hit some rough pavement really hard and the front tire pinch flatted. It's taken nearly 10 weeks for my ribs to heal to the point that they don't bother me too much so I'm back riding again too.

We were at the Giants game today and we lost to the Padres so we're only one game ahead of the Dodgers now. It's a furious race in the NL West with our arch rival. We're going to the game with the Braves on Sunday so we hope to see them play better.

You're doing a wonderful job on your Constitution cross section. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 1:43 AM, BobG said:

I'm afraid this is going to be slow going for a while while I figure things out as I go along and I'm thinking of starting another build to fill in the gaps and add some variety to my modeling at the same time. 

Hey Bob, any progress on this beauty lately? Or did you start another build that you are keeping from us?

6 hours ago, gjdale said:

Hey Bob, any progress on this beauty lately? Or did you start another build that you are keeping from us?

Hello Grant, I still haven't made it back into the shipyard yet. I keep getting sidetracked by other things: a week in San Francisco to celebrate my 75th birthday, out of town guests, lots of time watching our beloved San Francisco Giants who are now in the championship playoffs, many hours getting my winter, container garden planted (about 30 containers), and having a hard time pulling myself away from my guitars. I have also been spending way to much time reading lots of great build logs and admiring work like you are doing on your Steam Pumper.

I haven't started another build but the Vanguard Flirt has made it off the shelf and onto my modeling table. I will be building it alongside the Pen Duick and will be starting soon...slowly...but surely. My shipyard has been shuttered for far too long...

Thanks for stopping by and giving me a little nudge! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

7 hours ago, BobG said:

Thanks for stopping by and giving me a little nudge! 

Happy to be of service my friend! 😉

And a belated Happy 75th :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late to the party but Happy Birthday Bob! You seem to be having a cracking 7th decade of life, some of the cracking being your ribs😁. Don't give up on the gaff rigging though, indeed many ropes going everywhere but they do make sense eventually. I went through the same journey with the Deben.

Best wishes

Vaddoc

• 3 months later...

Well, they say that wonders never cease so, believe it or not, I actually sat down at my modeling table and made a little progress on the Pen Duick. The Artesania Latina plans and instructions are pretty much useless after you finish the hull and, eventually, I lost my motivation to keep at it. I'm still not sure how I will figure out the rigging but I'll give it a go. My plan is to keep chipping away at the Pen Duick and also start building the Flirt at the same time. I figure that working on the Flirt and the Pen Duick at the same time will balance things out for me when the Pen Duick gets too frustrating.

I finished adding the hatches and the cockpit to the deck today. The only problem I had was that the tabs on the coamings around the cockpit did not line up well with the holes I had previously carved in the deck as per the plans. The walnut coaming is old and hard so they wouldn't flex much either. Eventually, after some careful filing, I managed to get them to sit flush on the deck without breaking them but there were some small gaps showing in the deck next to where the tabs slotted into the deck.

I use Titebond Quick & Thick as my primary glue. So I made a slurried mixture of the glue with some sawdust from the deck planking strips and used a dental tool to carefully fill in the gaps. It worked great and I'm happy with the way the cockpit and hatches look on the deck.

IMG_6033.thumb.jpg.19e6fcb3639c10b022a9e43c02150c29.jpg

IMG_6032.thumb.jpg.ab1ccc0441bd87214e2867296680d177.jpg

IMG_6030.thumb.jpg.3f5893be4830e8cb14621113fa756b7f.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Glad to see you back at this lovely build Bob. Funny, it was only yesterday that I stopped by to see if you'd made any progress - seems that mental telepathy does work after all. 😊

Thanks everyone for the comments and the likes. Encouragement is always appreciated as I plug along blindly as I attempt the deck fittings and the rigging.

17 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Great that you’re back at it. 

14 hours ago, gjdale said:

Glad to see you back at this lovely build Bob.

Thanks Glenn and Grant for your continued interest in my build and for nudging me along. Both of you are inspirational modelers!

6 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

I love the shapes of that vessel. Such elegance and such panache !!

Please, keep at it.

I'll do my best, Yves, and thank you for the encouragement!

I love everything about the whole history of the Pen Duick and Eric Tabarly but the quality of the AL model itself leaves a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, it seems to be the only kit available. It needs to be scratch built at a larger scale to really do it justice in my opinion, but I haven't been able find any good plans to help me with this model and I even contacted the Eric Tabarly Association in France for assistance with no luck. Maybe the Pen Duick could be the first racing yacht in the Vanguard or Syren line of models!  

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Excellent, Bob!  The hull is so beautiful!  Great to see it again.  And the deck houses look really good.  So glad you're back at it.

-E

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

Wow, Bob! Your Pen Duick is looking really impressive! The work on the deck fittings looks really great. So glad to see that you are able to get back to this kit and to share your work with us!