Pen Duick by BobG - Artesania Latina - 1:28

12 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Looking absolutely beautiful Bob.   Great job with the rudder.   You are really tempting me to pick one of these up.

Thank you, Justin. I love this boat and, if you haven't built one of these ocean racing yachts, I recommend doing at least one. The hulls are so sleek and have such beautiful form and lines. The AL Pen Duick is occasionally available on eBay and Ages of Sail had one the last time I looked. Amati also has several of the famous America's Cup racing yachts in there line up. 

Thanks for stopping by.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I spent time today adding tiny patches of wood around the rudder shaft hole and tweaking the hole so the the rudder dry fits very nicely now. Then I slathered the entire hull with Elmer's Color Changing Wood Filler. After I let it dry thoroughly,  I sanded the hull first with 220 and then 320 adhesive sandpaper on a soft sander block and it's very smooth now.

I plan to spray it with Rustoleum High Build Gray Primer and sand it more tomorrow. Then I'll play with my new airbrush before attempting to paint the hull.

IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.d02d8aa98d194524c8025817887106c0.JPG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Yup .. Exquisite ! :) 

Bob, could you do me a favour ?  would it be possible to pop something into the next photo that gives a sense of just how big your build is .. I hope you don't mind me asking .. It's just that at 1:28 and sizes in inches etc can be hard to visualise on such a deep hulled boat (just something like a Cup or a 12'' Ruler in the same kind of shot as above)  am trying to get a feel of how much space she would tale up, as I too have a feeling that Pen Duick (Irish Built if memory serves) or an America's Cupper might be in my future (There is an Endeavour model that is simply huge out there)

Cheers

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Eamonn!

The Pen Duick, originally named Yum, was indeed built in Cork Harbor, Ireland, in 1898 and it was 10.97 meters (36 feet) in length. The Artesania Latina kit is 543 mm long, 727 mm tall and 93 mm wide at the beam.

Here's a photo with a 305 mm ruler (12 inches) in the foreground:

IMG_7172.thumb.JPG.aa3080171f265766f07d29be4d8b88dc.JPG

Here is some additional information about the original Pen Duick from Wikipedia:

Pen Duick is the name best known for a series of ocean racing yachts sailed by French yachtsman Eric Tabarly. Meaning coal tit in Breton it was the name Tabarly's father gave to the 1898 Fife gaff cutter he purchased, and that his son learned to sail.[1] He thereafter used the name for a series of successful racing yachts through the '60s and '70s.

• The YRA 36 ft linear rater Pen Duick (formerly Yum) was designed by William Fife III and built in 1898 by Gridiron & Marine Motor Works at Carrigaloe in Cork Harbour, Ireland for Cork yachtsman W. J. C. Cummins. The gaff-rigged cutter was quickly noted as a successful racer in Irish, British and French waters. Tabarly's father acquired her when Éric was seven years old, and the boy learnt to sail on her. After World War II, she was put on sale, but finding no takers, Éric convinced his father in giving her to him. Years later, he was told her wooden hull was rotten, and being unable to hire a yard to salvage her, proceeded to save her himself, making a mould to build her a new polyester hull: It was the largest of its kind at the time. He refitted her entirely, with a loftier rig for the southern climes. In the night of June 12 to 13 1998, Éric Tabarly fell overboard and was lost in the Irish Sea, while sailing the hundred-year-old cutter en route to the Fife Regatta in Largs, Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_Duick

It's interesting to note that the Pen Duick was named for a small bird common in the UK known as the Coal Tit. I've noticed that the main colors of the Coal Tit are black, white and green and are similar to the colors on the hull of the classic Pen Duick I.

550584006_ScreenShot2020-06-14at10_37_20AM.thumb.png.d0ec9e21729be38cdb3590b00b7b27d5.png

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2018/04/bird-week-coal-tit

Cheers!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks Bob ...  Jeez she is beautiful !  She will be a nice size even with the Bowsprit and Gaff.

There really are some cracking looking wooden sailing yacht models on MSW , check out 'Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field' for the classic Plank On Edge style  popular in the mid to late 1800's 

Thanks Again Bob for going to the trouble, much appreciated!

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

1 hour ago, egkb said:

There really are some cracking looking wooden sailing yacht models on MSW , check out 'Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field' for the classic Plank On Edge style  popular in the mid to late 1800's 

Thank you Eamonn. I'm very fascinated by these beautiful yachts. I'm amazed at how much canvass they can put up and still manage to fly along in a brisk blow without capsizing! It would be exciting to take a fast ride on one of these yachts.

I've only sailed a little bit with my brother-in-law who has a 18 foot sailboat. We nearly tipped her over several times when we got a bit cocky and really leaned her over until water was spilling over gunwale on the low side of the deck. I love to hooking my feet under the hiking straps and lean out over the high side as far as possible. It's exciting...until the moment that you feel like you've pushed it a bit too far! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

I’m glad I didn’t have to cut into that loose grained king plank, but you’ve made a fine job of it to produce a striking deck.

Thanks BE. The mahogany king plank was dry and brittle too and it was prone to chipping and tearing. I would have liked a smoother grained wood like teak or something. The walnut that is used around the hatches has an even looser grain so I decided not to joggle the hatches. 

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Indeed, mahogany and walnut are not the best woods for modelling. Especially walnut has a wavy interlinked grain and tears easily. Finishes fantastically though

I generally like walnut but the quality of the walnut in this kit is not great. It has a very mottled appearance and the grain is very coarse looking. Some of the other walnut included in the kit also has a lot of variation of color in it ranging from grayish brown to greenish brown. I may see what else I have laying around when it comes to using it.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I applied 3 light coats of Rustoleum High Build Gray Primer to the hull and rudder and I'm letting it dry for at least 2 hours before sanding it. I thought I had the hull filled and sanded nearly perfectly before I started spraying it with the rattle can primer. I couldn't see anything but the tiniest blemish here and there and it was wonderfully smooth but the primer has revealed a bunch of tiny imperfections. So I'll keep priming it and sanding it until it looks pretty much perfect to me. I think it will be time well spent since the semi-gloss finish that I want would magnify any imperfections in the paint.

Notice how the primer looks different in the areas of the hull that have filler on it. I'll work with it until I have an even, consistent primer finish on it.

IMG_9823.thumb.JPG.e2c782893522dc9abb06d66ce7dcbe40.JPG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Just catching up with this build Bod - you’re doing a great job! Can’t wait to see the hull after you finish painting it. I hope your airbrush practice has been successful and has given you some confidence for this job. You’ll be amazed at just how nicely the airbrush can lay down paint.

I'm excited and a bit apprehensive about using it but I'm looking forward to seeing what a difference it can make.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

You'll just need to be prepared to do a little bit of experimentation with air pressure, paint viscosity (ie thinning ratios), and air:paint mix through the brush. It sounds complex, but the only way to really get the hang of it is to just do it. After a while you will "just know" that you've got all the variables right.

Beautiful lines...wonderful build...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Well I tried out my new airbrush for the first time today and it's awesome! 

I had previously sprayed a filler primer on the hull and sanded it a bit. Today, I decided to use my airbrush to spray the hull with Vallejo Gray Surface Primer and it's much, much better than using a rattle can. I started off with my small cup with 10 drops of paint in it and quickly found out that I needed to switch to my largest cup. I put 30 drops of primer in it and added 3 drops of Vallejo Flow Improver to it and it seemed to work fine for me. 

I'll most definitely try out my larger fan nozzle the next time I prime a hull. The small 0.3 mm regular nozzle had too small of a spray pattern and it took a lot of passes to get consistent coverage. 

I don't know if I needed the Flow Improver but I had read good things about it where people saying their nozzles don't clog when they use it. So I decided to give it a go.

I don't know anything about what pressure to use so I just used the compressor as it came out of the box. It showed about 22 PSI when I was spraying. The video that came with the kit said it is capable of up to 65 PSI. 

I also took the airbrush apart and cleaned everything. I know that I need to at least clean the cup and spray cleaning fluid through the airbrush until it is clear but I'm not how sure I need to do the complete cleaning. It was pretty simple to do so I figured it would be a good idea.

I may never use a rattle can again!

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Good job on painting the hull.  You are learning a skill that will come in handy for this and future builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks for the likes everyone and thanks for coming by.

3 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Aside from the flow improver did you thin it at all?

I didn't thin the primer. I just used it right out of the bottle. The paint is supposed to be about the consistency of milk and the primer seemed to be about like milk. 

1 hour ago, Ryland Craze said:

Good job on painting the hull.  You are learning a skill that will come in handy for this and future builds.

Let's hope I can do a nice job painting the 3 colors on the hull. The primer was just opening act. The main event is yet to come!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

The Vallejo Gray Surface Primer went on the hull so smoothly that I barely needed to sand it. I went over very lightly with 400 sandpaper and it is silky smooth. The difference between using an airbrush to apply primer versus a rattle can is like night and day. I'm really excited to learn to use this airbrush better!IMG_3084.thumb.JPG.0418474692e645fbcc50e7e38536a6fb.JPG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

This is one nice hull Bob! I ve never used an airbrush and know nothing about it so I am very interested to follow your learning curve with it. You do loose the therapeutic effect of brush strokes though!

10 hours ago, vaddoc said:

You do loose the therapeutic effect of brush strokes though!

Yes you do but there is also something therapeutic about seeing the airbrush lay the paint down perfectly without visible brush strokes and lap marks too!

I have always loved to paint things. For example, I've painted our house twice and all the rooms and woodwork inside several times over the years. I like being part of the transformation that takes place before your eyes and how clean and sharp it looks. I also like the fluid movement of the paint strokes and the challenge of keeping a wet edge going in and effort to avoid lap marks. 

I'm certainly not done with brush painting. I'm just adding another skill to the arsenal. In model painting, however, I won't miss the frustration I feel when my I'm not pleased with my paint job because of lap marks and inconsistent coverage. I'm sure I'll find ways to mess up airbrushing at times but, so far, it's been great.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

i see what you means about my build of the Dorade having the rebates in the king planks yours turned out very nice well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks, Kevin.

It took me a long time just to do the joggles in the king plank and I skipped doing them in the frames around the hatches. Take a look at Harry's (hof00) build of the Pen Duick. He was braver than me and cut joggles into the hatches and the king plank.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hi Chap,

Back on-line after the move. (No ships got damaged, careful packing/crating. 🙂)

Your Pen Duick is looking rather "Nice!!"

Looking forward to seeing your "Paint Job." 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hello Harry,

Glad to see the move went well and your ships made the trip unscathed. Will you be back at your modeling table soon?

I currently waiting for some paints to arrive so I can do some comparison on the colors. I've also been looking ahead and trying to make sense of the masts and rigging. I finding it pretty confusing. The instructions are are practically useless at this point. 

I'm missing the brass porthole piece that goes into the forward hatch too. I'm not sure how I'll be able to make something for it that looks realistic since I don't have a l lathe to be able to turn one.

So I've got a few obstacles ahead!

Cheers!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hi Chao,

Yup, the Rigging Plans are not too helpful, agreed....

The "Standing" Rigging is pretty "Run on the Mill" but the Reefing lines, (Boom) need a bit of research as do the running lines for the Jib, Flying Jib and Foresail.

The "Top Sail", Topmast and Jackyard on my version were "Fudged" a little, esp. when it was time to mount these items.

Don't worry too much about the rigging at the mo, you haver plenty more stuff to do....

In saying so, there are items on deck that you will need to affix prior to Lines....

(No harm in planning ahead, you need to.)

Be confident in your considered decisions/opinions/methods and execution.

From what I have seen of your build, you'll be just fine.

Ps. If your missing the Forward Hatch Porthole, use a Brass coloured rivet, (Clothing/Boot stuff. (Cheap and Easy... Don't crimp it though..... 🙂))

Remember, I am but a Novice, aren't we all?

Every Ship model is so different.... 🙂

As I stated before, look's really, really NICE!! 🙂

Happy to Help if I can.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson