On 9/5/2020 at 7:05 AM, glbarlow said:

Now that I see the real thing your paint work is even more impressive.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, Blue Ensign said:

That is one impressive looking hull Bob, and a great colour combination. 👍

Very nice work.

Thanks very much Glenn and BE. Your comments are much appreciated.

First off all vessels like this often had several versions of rig over their lifetimes.

And she was French so rigging practice is a bit different to UK.

And topsails really add a fun level of confusion to things.

I have done an AL kit of this vintage and my expriencewas that the rigging given was - er - "representational"  rather than realistic

Can you put up a pic of the kits rigging plan as a starter - have you done any rigging at all on her yet.

What a lovely hull job though!!

Let me have a look at my files. I think somewhere I have a training set of line rigging diagrams.

Two queries -

the pic I put up show a boomed staysail - that would often be " self acting" and rigged to an horse (  a metal rail on the deck in front of the mast)

and there appear to be a couple of backstays and if so I would expect at least the aft one to be  "running" - that is able to be moved while sailing ( to allow the sail to go further out on the run.

Do the instructions show or mention these points

On 9/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, SpyGlass said:

shows the rigging quite well - it is fairly simple and fairly standard

3 jibs/staysails, one with a boom, 2 sets of backstays, top sail on a yard and a gaff sail with reef lines etc - simples.

Hats off to you Spyglass! 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to let everyone know that, even though I haven't been able to spend any time on my build lately, I have not abandoned the build. I've had a bunch of other priorities that I have had to attend to recently that has prevented me from making any further progress. However, I have been researching the Pen Duick quite a bit and have received some good articles and advice that I will discuss in a future post. 

As many of you already know, California is experiencing the worst number of catastrophic wildfires in the state's history. Thousands of people have been displaced, lives and property have been lost and millions of acres of wilderness have been destroyed. As of today, 26 fires continue to burn throughout the state. We have had horrible air quality in Sacramento for weeks now and ash has coated everything on numerous occasions but we are so fortunate compared to so many others that are suffering from this climate catastrophe. 

The record heat and hazardous air quality has pretty much eliminated a lot of outdoor activities that my wife and I love here in northern California. So we rented a house on the coast in Dillon Beach for a week in search of a change of scenery and clean air. We've had a very nice week here until yesterday and today when smoke began rolling in and ash began falling from two new wildfires in the Napa Valley and near Santa Rosa that just started. There seems to be no end these devastating fires.

That said, I hope to return to working on my build again later this week. I hope some of you will still be interested in continuing to follow along despite no progress of late. Your sage advice and encouragement is always much appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.48.15 PM.png

Bob,

I really feel for you guys. My Son lives in Portland and it’s been really bad there too. Hopefully as you get into the winter rainy season it will clear up. All we have to deal with here are hurricanes. This year we’ve had more than we normally get but we’re about 250 miles inland so by the time they get here, it’s mostly rain with some occasional strong gusts. Now, Katrina was a whole ‘nother thing - we had many hours of constant 70+mph wind and many tornados, it was scary. 

Look forward to updates on your build when when you can get to it. I’m really interested in your solution to your rigging challenge, it’s going to be a really beautiful model!

Don

Sorry to hear about all the fires over there Bob. As you know, we experienced a similar thing here in Australia during our last summer. The smoke rolled in here at the beginning of December and pretty much put a stop to all outdoor activity for a couple of months. The fires here got close enough that we actually evacuated one night - fortunately that scare didn’t eventuate into anything more serious but we had quite a nervous few weeks. I think the smoke finally left when we received an almighty hailstorm that did record damage across the city - narrowly missed our house though. And it seemed we were just getting on top of that when COIVD joined us. What a year!

I’ll certainly be continuing to follow your excellent build as and when you have time for it.

Hey Bob, glad to see your doing well. The fires have been insane recently and Santa Rosa is scrambling, but this isn’t the first time and wont be the last. Dillion beach is beautiful, i hope you enjoy it down there. Looking forward to getting back to my build and seeing your progress! Stay safe.

Bradley 

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately, we just got word that a friend of ours house burned to the ground in St Helena last night. He is and his family escaped but it still comes as a shock. God help us if the nations of the world don't join together to help slow the human contribution to climate change. Living here in California feels like it may already be too late to stop this runaway train...

Glad to hear that you've been safe from the fires so far, Bob! I hope you can stay that way!

As I was reading through some of your log, I noticed your comment about struggling to wrap your head around a gaff rig. I had the same challenge when I built the Bon Retour (my first kit!), which is also from Artesania Latina and also had unclear rigging diagrams. In the end, I found a couple YouTube videos that were much more helpful. Based on what I saw in these, I was able to install rigging that actually worked correctly (meaning that I was able to hoist the gaff and boom, and to use the rigging to adjust them to get the right tension on the sail). Here are the links, in hopes that they'll be helpful for you: "Handling a Gaff Rig" by How to Sail Oceans and "Gaff Rig - How We Hoist Our Gaff Rig" by Living with the Tide.

• 2 weeks later...

You know how it goes Bob. Good times follow bad times until things go bad again. We just need to enjoy the good breaks and soldier on during the bad ones. Soon you ll be back on your boat, scratching your head trying to figure out the rigging.

Stay safe

Vaddoc

Thanks vaddoc. I've been staying busy with other interests of mine lately. I was focusing solely on ship modeling for quite a while and got completely away from playing my guitar and photography etc. I especially missed playing my guitar and I'm getting back into the groove of it now. The air quality in northern California has improved as the wildfires have slowed down so I've been able to ride my bike again too. I've also been doing a lot of yard work and have been switching my container garden over from warm weather vegetables to the cool season fall and winter vegetables. 

I'll be back working on my Pen Duick pretty soon. It's a lovely model and, yes, the gaff sail rigging is confusing but I'll figure it out...at least I think I will!

Be safe as well my friend.

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Sorry Bob, hope things get better soon. 

Thanks, Glenn. I'm really doing just fine. So many have lost so much recently with the wildfires and and Covid-19. I'm grateful to be so fortunate as to be able to enjoy my hobbies instead of wondering how I will pay my bills or rebuild my house or struggle to breathe. We are living in challenging times and I hope that things will get better for those who need it the most.