HMS Victory by Matthew Kassebaum - Billing Boats - First ship build

Matthew - Thanks for including us on your fantastic journey.  I look forward to the trip.  Good luck, keep pressing and don’t be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of resources at your fingertips for if and/or when you need them. 

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

welcome aboard the billings victory club Matthew, you dived in at the deepend then!- hang on it is a bumpy ride😁. before you install the middle bulkheads see if you want to alter them to allow for the stairwells - i did it for one set of stairs, but wished i had cut out the others and made new strengtheners either side of the hole (see philg88 victory log) a bit of work involved but worth it.

Keith

Hi Matthew,

Looking good at this point.  If it's a lower deck, I wouldn't worry about the paint or varnish as not much is visible.   The other thing is, wait as long as possible to paint or varnish as wood glue won't stick to those.  

I'm attaching a copy of the Kit Log Index.   Open it, scroll down to Victory and look for Billing Boat builds.  Every manufacturer has a different design for this ship (or any ship for that matter) and reading through some of the logs might give an insight so you don't get into a position that seems impossible to get out of .

Wooden Ships.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

mtaylor and Keith I have looked through the logs for Victory seeing final results and Billings logs for building and have scanned through clearways build countless times. I have been to the table since I posted the last progress picture. I am hoping for some time this weekend.

Just an update as to where I am with Ms. Victory here.....to say the least she is a beast by all means. Just this far has been......an experience??? Ive noticed that the deck is too wide in some spots and needs to be sanded some...other than that this has fit well. Now the planking.......I don't know anything about but I will tackle soon....maybe.

20200516_174628.jpg

20200516_174642.jpg

That bottom plank somehow managed to get worked down as I strugggled with it and had to notch the plank on the lower edge...but not much. I think as we plank it I can move the gun ports up about 1mm and it wont be noticed. This should put the ports where they need to be and I don't believe it will be noticed when finished.

Keith your build is an inspiration. I have a few small things to do before planking which I am nervous about to say the least. I see some use filler and or blocks and some dont. Not sure my approach yet. I have not planked the lower deck as I call it. The main is just in place for fit and check. That did have to be sanded in a few places to allow the fourth plank to fit flush at the top. I have sanded that top deck back some and did have small issues with the lower three. If you look in my pictures there is a small gap in one row. As I sad in a previous post, I think I can compensate for that with the planking and placement of the lower row of guns as they are not opened up, but more just a dummy wall to mount a cannon on. I think if planned right that lower row could be moved up 1 or 2 mm and still keep the final appearance correct. If you have thoughts on planking please feel free to share or suggest.

i had to do the same with the ply formers- as mentiond in blog cut and shut them till they sat with less wavy effect- when it comes to actual planking check a few different logs and images of real victory and mark out where the lower whale goes- you will have to start tapering the planking from there down - you can see the run on the stern on my victory- no blocks were used on mine but its up to you.

Keith