HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

Ty Jeff- wasn't sure whether to ease the frames and take a couple of mill off at the turn or stick with it- decided on latter but not sure how accurate as they do appear a little fuller than on the lines plans i have seen.

I know the feeling, I spent hours staring at pictures of builds just to convince myself my first first planking didn't go horribly wrong 🙂

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

I used contact glue on mine, and did not enjoy it. Besides being rather messy, I keep finding planks that are trying to spring free, which I then have to use CA to make fast again. If I were to do this ship over again, I would be patient and use white glue.

I used white glue on mine, worked like a charm, the second layer planks are relatively thin, so adhere quite quickly. Not as quickly as contact glue probably, but it allows for corrections, and depending on the type of white glue you use, you wipe off any excess with a damp cloth without leaving any marks.

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

Thanks for views, likes and comments everyone- if i go for the 2nd planking i will use wood glue- the type i use is evo-stick fast grab glue- you can also use dress makers pins to hold the thinner planks in situ till they dry. I need to think how i am going to intergrate the stern/ rudderpost assembly into the hull, just glad i managed to get the "tuck" at the stern. Safe to say i have deviated slightly from the destructions😉.

shot of planking nearly completed- glad i didn't go with fashion pieces for the bow- need some stealer planks in the stern then pins pulled and sanding time.

745227273_Terror_planking_nearly_completed1.thumb.jpg.9f91dfc6805257bd4afa12d07c726558.jpg

take care all

Keith

thanks for views and comments everyone- first planking now finished with stealers fitted at stern. also took delivery of two caldercraft 10 spoke ships wheels- although 1/64 scale they are 24mm across spokes so not too oversize (well spotted with the spoke count keith s).954409138_Planking_finished1.thumb.jpg.c6a062cff795bc8de5875d90be0fa34f.jpg

463344778_New_wheel1.thumb.jpg.605e2f7cedb280f1006f8f19bf44d73f.jpg

next job pull pins and get sanding.

take care all

Keith

After the elation of the lovely fitting together of the frames happy moment gone- when the transom was fitted the hole for the rudder was out of alignment and the bulwarks are a couple of millimetres short of the stem🤨- got ye old craft knife out and cut the rudder aperture wider (also had to trim a little off the deck).

On  the bulwarks once the glue had dried i pulled the brass pins and drilled the holes out to 1mm and inserted ye olde cocktail stick trennels trimmed to size.

1292957440_Transom_mis-alignment1.thumb.jpg.bd7a590b45d00b238ebd37d2240dc9bd.jpg

1138829299_Transom_cut_away1.thumb.jpg.e1672155d2562cb38cbead645416a1e7.jpg

797560728_Bulwark_trennels1.thumb.jpg.d2d71a90470550bc0a8afa49df2fbe27.jpg

take care all

Keith

thanks for visiting everyone -gave the hull its final sanding with the coarse sandpaper- if not bothering with 2nd planking this will be where using filler over nail holes and pva between planks and sanding with medium/ fine sandpapering would begin- still havn't decided plank or not to plank with 2nd skin, whats the planking on the kit like for cutting? also started to form the sternpost assembley (not actually fastened in place yet)

757363632_Hull_sanded_11.thumb.jpg.9a990a4c3b76dea71c36fb2892e61a8e.jpg

1349470935_Hull_sanded_21.thumb.jpg.9738b5e7ef1996e3eeb554cb6b71618e.jpg

take care all and keep up the good work everyone.

Keith

Hi Keith,

the sapelli wood provided in the box is very flexible, good texture, especially when varnished, but can be quite brittle when you're trying to cut it. No issues with straight cuts, but stealers need a gentle hand.

Hope this helps!

Robert

Current build: 

Glad I could help Keith, just a disclaimer: as this is my first ship I'm building, I really have no frame of reference, just thought I'd share my experience, although the issues I faced might have more to do with the learning curve than the material 🙂

Current build: 

Looking good Keith, excellent job on the first planking. Quick question if you decide not to add a second layer, will you veneer the bulwarks and transom or just paint over them?

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Ty Jeff- i will still add a layer of veneer planking over the counter and transom if not adding 2nd planking along with the bulwarks- its hard to tell but i did plank the transom on my victory even though i was painting the hull (infact it looked really nice and was a shame to paint over it)!

:dancetl6:

Keith

thanks for looking in everyone- been plodding away with the shroud protection / rubbing strake planking (5 planks thick at the top). instructions say to do this after applying 2nd planking, but even if i do go down the 2nd planking route i would rather have these applied to the proper hull planking. as an aside i have come across a load of 1mm x 4mm walnut strip in my workshop which is nice and dark so might end up with a natural wood finish yet🤔.

897021924_20200527_2007401.thumb.jpg.e8cd262a09e782a5e175337dc8ff4dcc.jpg

keep up the good work everyone

Keith

2 hours ago, clearway said:

thanks for looking in everyone- been plodding away with the shroud protection / rubbing strake planking (5 planks thick at the top). instructions say to do this after applying 2nd planking, but even if i do go down the 2nd planking route i would rather have these applied to the proper hull planking. as an aside i have come across a load of 1mm x 4mm walnut strip in my workshop which is nice and dark so might end up with a natural wood finish yet🤔.

897021924_20200527_2007401.thumb.jpg.e8cd262a09e782a5e175337dc8ff4dcc.jpg

keep up the good work everyone

Keith

Looks great! I wish I had thought of that! Something to bear in mind for my next model.

I'm very impressed how you managed to run your planking clear to the bow without any drop strakes. I managed to do this with my second layer, but still had to use both drop strakes and stealers on the complex shape of the stern. I'm not too fussed about it but I was disappointed that my best work on the planks has disappeared under the metal armour!

*edit: actually, it turns out I was lying. I had to insert a single drop plank near the bow at the turn of the bilge. I am impressed you didn't find it necessary to do this. 

thanks for the comments guys- had to use stealers in the stern but as you say keith pity about the bows being covered! if i do 2nd plank i wont be so perfect with the bow section as the plating will hide it- the stern will be the interesting part with the transition planking going on to the sternpost😱.

Keith

I'm envious of the shape of the stern under the counter of your model. You'll still have your work cut out for you blending the rudder trunk into the outer planking, but it looks a lot better than the stock model with its square transom. I wish I'd thought of doing that. Your planking job in general is superb. I can't believe you did it using 5mm planks and no drop strakes. 

Ty Keith- there are some weird shaped planks if you follow he runs from bow to stern- you tend to get bit of an hourglass effect where the bilges form towards the transom- don't forget i have been doing this for about 35 years and believe me my first planking job was a disaster😱. I must admit i wasn't sure i was going to be able to pull it off with occre having the last frame station right up against the stern- i will most likely second plank using the walnut and might go with the original with the bow planking (followed same run as plating).

your hull does look o.k. though and i see why occre chose that way to do the stern as the original set up is a bit difficult if no previous experience.

Keith

managed to get the shroud protector sanded down to size outside before our long spell of good weather is about to end-was raining earlier with cold fronts and more rain to follow love Cumbrian weather🤪.

using a craft knife fettled the planking on the bows and trial fitted the prow piece. also made a start on planking the deck. think i have the shroud protector the right shape and size- any corrections needed feel free to advise😁.

56364352_Terror_prow1.thumb.jpg.bac995385b5a5897c9fb7a68357930cf.jpg

1495805548_Terror_deck_planking1.thumb.jpg.bf1497c56fd78d4a12361e157f73cb94.jpg

also took delivery of this today

863353751_Erebus_book1.thumb.jpg.9644db438f11c76338695ebd5a6cc824.jpg

take care all

Keith

Very nice; that looks perfect from here. I have a feeling your model will be the queen of the "Little Terrors" when she's finished. I'm proud of myself for coining that term for the flock of Vesuvius-class ships on Model ship world at the moment... "Little Terrors" ha ha ha.

I can't help thinking you've made extra work for yourself by planking the deck AFTER installing the bulwarks, but you know what you're doing. Probably all part of a clever plan that will cause me to cast an even more jaundiced eye on my own model than I already am.

I didn't realize that book was out already. Is it worth ordering? Does it have pictures of anything we haven't already seen on the news? I'm a bit cynical about the reporting we've seen to date. It seems like the archaeologists are interested in completely different things than I am. I want to see the engine-room! That's bound to be utterly FASCINATING but no-one seems to even consider that it might be of interest to someone. 

I do tend to be impatient. 

Hi keith- love the "little terror" name myself- i admit planking the deck would have been a lot easier the way occre did it, but if was just going to fill, prime and paint the first planking layer and inside the bulwarks it would have been a lot easier not worrying about getting paint on the wooden deck- also stops so much dust and fingerprints when handling her while the heavy sanding goes on- don't berate your little terror- for a first time build it looks great and with your mods it is already a cut above the rest.

as regards the book it is more about the search and only photo is of one of the metal pintles that hold the davit posts to the deck some lovely shots of the arctic though- i am also waiting for another book about the loss and discovery of erebus and terror so will see if any juicy shots in that- i agree with you i am not bothered about plates, and goggles- i want to see structural details on the deck fittings and like you the engine room.

Keith