HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

I only had one order with Model Dockyard, Nick was an easy bloke to work with. Yeah, I thought the wood effect was spot on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes, comments and looking in as always - not been in my modelling den of sin much recently - been in reading mode🤓.

Back with Terror and i have fitted the eyes to the shroud protector and hull for the ladder- i am going to have the ladder dismounted here and stash it on the "bumper" somewhere or maybe in the storage along with the spars etc in the waist? Also mention is often made of the altered ships boats found in the "boat place" so will use these for the boats in the davits at the mainmast -these are more of the resin quaycraft models. For the Iron davits in the waist i am going to have them removed but glue some eyes in place to imitate the mountings (Crozier had these removed before crossing the Atlantic).

574207080_Terror_starboard_ladder_eyes1.thumb.jpg.f066f7fc3b0d18987a37dd35ab2e9892.jpg

1668232428_Terror_altered_boats1.thumb.jpg.86a8a6b7dacd27ef0733fb09670b5597.jpg

Take care all

Keith

Thanks Keith- i can say the same about your build too😉. If anyone wants to know any boo boos i have made and if i was starting this kit again i would address the incorrect frame shaping either side of the two fullest frames amidships (should be a lot fuller) and really should be two backstays to the fore and main topmasts - still sticking with no royal fore/ backstays as none in any sketches / lithographs i have seen and sticking with no topgallant mast on the mizzen. I would also use smaller diameter deadeyes, and 3mm planking for the decking, and smaller sized gratings.

Keith

Perfection is a quest each of us is drawn towards but always remains just beyond our reach. For sanity's sake we must be at peace knowing we did our best and judge ourselves not as if we were a god but as the mortal men we are. 

"Thanks Keith- i can say the same about your build too" Keith, thank you for saying that but your work puts my meager efforts to shame. 

Edited by Keith Black

On 5/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, clearway said:

Thanks for views and likes everyone-if i hadn't built a few already i wouldn't have tried either Keith and yours looks o.k. - to be honest we will have to see how it turns out in't end🤨.

While waiting for some glue to dry on my Victory i fettled the planking on the counter to take the sternpost.

1412464272_Stern_rebate_21.thumb.jpg.d85ce9e5d90dc103807e963bc917da9a.jpg

976954108_Stern_post_rebate1.thumb.jpg.689449a7d011659e9b1cf24aa5e755ce.jpg

take care all

Keith

When you are talking about the "tuck", what are you referring to?  I have ordered the Betts book, but its not arrived yet.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:20 PM, clearway said:

LOL it can be a bit mind boggling on first glance through the book Keith, Hi Emmet- the pin holes are so small they nearly disappear after sanding- i planked the bows like that as terror had second planking- i terminated planks along the runs as the shape of the hull dictated to avoid excessive bending- also a lot of the pins are acting like clamps beside the planks- computer has gone belly up (pinched sons lap top for this so posts will be apart!)

started to shape the masts- built the tops supplied for fore and main but altered them as in the following pic.

704966219_Terrortops.thumb.jpg.8c442737d4d44459b2029093cca00f0c.jpg

also got the mainmast squared for the cheeks and bibs.

13908203_TerrorMainmastsquared.thumb.jpg.46d6fac393fede3aedd9f96bd3f4bfd6.jpg

also a shot of the fore mast with the top tried out- to square them roughed them with a craft knife till roughly squared then sanded with a sanding block til the top was a comfy fit.

1392077076_Terrorforemastwithtop.thumb.jpg.0595603f567b244d36e0cb0bb5199cfd.jpg

also got the sunlights in the deck and the hatch for the chain locker in place.

2014060610_Terrordeckview.thumb.jpg.dbb4d114ba7b8220459a8d8ee97ebe1f.jpg

used humbrol clear windows for the glazing.

take care all

keith

P.S. since posting this have started to scratchbuild new tops for main and foremasts as occre have thecross trees butted right up against the mast- hopefully will have comp fixed and get some pics on the log.

I am considering marking and drilling the sunlights after planking the deck, prior to gluing to hull.  What methid  did you use to mark the hole locations?  Did you cut out the deck plan on OcCre PL-1? 

3 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

I am considering marking and drilling the sunlights after planking the deck, prior to gluing to hull.  What methid  did you use to mark the hole locations?  Did you cut out the deck plan on OcCre PL-1? 

Good evening jbcallendar, in my kit was a full scale template of the deck. I just placed it over the deck (after planking but before installing on the hull permanently) and marking with a center punch the location of the holes. Remove the template, drill holes and install brass skylights.

If I remember correctly, two of the holes are listed for skylights but should be water pumps (not included in the kit). If you look back on mine or clearways log, you should be able to find our notes on that part.

16 hours ago, jbcallender said:

When you are talking about the "tuck", what are you referring to?  I have ordered the Betts book, but its not arrived yet

Hi JB - the tuck is where the planking on the hull curves around onto the transom unlike how occre have just run it onto a flat stern- i used the plans and measured the location of the holes for the sunlights using the stern and taff rail as reference points.

Keith

8 hours ago, clearway said:

Hi JB - the tuck is where the planking on the hull curves around onto the transom unlike how occre have just run it onto a flat stern- i used the plans and measured the location of the holes for the sunlights using the stern and taff rail as reference points.

Keith

I see on some pictures you have the last plank that turns almost perpendicular to the rest of the transom.  Is that what you mean?

On 5/23/2021 at 10:24 PM, Keith S said:

Keith, I think I missed the part where you explained how you made your rope black using India ink. Is that what you've done here? Is it difficult? I much prefer the freshly-tarred look of your rope to the "brown" rope available from suppliers.

I found a waxed black hemp cord in Walmart in the craft section that I am going to try for the standing rigging.   75ft for about $3.  It looks about the right thickness.

Hi again JB- yes the planks that swing sharply upwards at the stern beside the rudder post- i water the ink down - if using top quality india ink (windsor & newton for example) 4 parts water to 1 part ink- fill a tub wityh the ink and add the rigging thread- give it a while to soak in while tamping it to drive out air bubbles- then the messy part- i run it between the two poles for the clothes line to dry out for an hour or two then reel it back onto the cardboard tube.... loads of mess and interesting if it knots!!!!

Regards the bulwarks if using thin veneer it will form o.k. if done post fitting them - also means you can plank over any filling pieces you might need to add.

Everything is in the log but best way would be to take it in bite size chunks as there are 21 pages worth! Though maybe worth going backwards through the log as i altered certain fixtures and fittings as and when me and my erstwhile colleague Keith S made observations or i more info came to light.

Keith

4 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I received my Betts book and Lees rigging guide.  I am now rewatching The Terror just to glean some insight into the ship and configuration.

Hi JBthe rigging guide will set you up for about any British warship you need to rig and was invaluable to sort out how the rig might actually have looked- Mattewhs book is great especially the deckhouse and other fittings- the T.V. series did give more inspiration though some details (davits, boat skids etc) were wrong.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 1:14 PM, clearway said:

Thank you for the likes, looks and comments everyone. Back int shipyard and the mantua launch is now finished. Also made a start on the catheads , made new knees out of bass wood to replace the ply kit ones, and drilled/ filed square holes into the hull to take the lower timber

1303454637_Mantua_ships_boat1.thumb.jpg.a8214aee621765ce53084d591291b90f.jpg

Terror_cathead[1].jpg

Terror_cathead_2[1].jpg

take care everyone

Keith

To clarify, the catheads are the davits at the bow to secure and stow the anchors,  What are the knees?

Thanks, Jeff   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 1:42 PM, clearway said:

Thanks for looking in everyone, moving back to the stern area and finally glued the mizzen mast in place and started on the shrouds. Starting with the starboard pair and then the port side pair till six shrouds per side. The two eyes on the mast cap will take the blocks to guide the main topyard braces down to the deck.

741253835_Terror_mizzen_shroud1.thumb.jpg.ec9b601d4a2b0a33942b98c4d7187d32.jpg

1879376813_Terror_mizzen_shroud_21.thumb.jpg.ac80d661337c26fe9620212ff60de79e.jpg

1681877265_Terror_mizzen_shroud_31.thumb.jpg.39d0bbb3c0fc39b9cc9dbd0b8d57c54f.jpg

take care all

Keith

As you fit the shrouds around the masts and tie them off, do you alternate port and starboard shrouds on top of each other?

3 hours ago, jbcallender said:

As you fit the shrouds around the masts and tie them off, do you alternate port and starboard shrouds on top of each other?

Hi JB- yep i start with the starboard pair first then the port, i add the deadeyes using my home made spacer on those four lines then repeat for the rest- if there is a single one left you can tie off and cut off the unwanted "tail"

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in - after a break of a few weeks carried out a little work on Terror today with the White Ensign run up and boat no.5 added to the davits- still not 100% sure if i am happy with the flag, will have to ponder it a while.

Terror_ensign1.thumb.jpg.c5a66a97d195391684038d0fc1e5c4ea.jpg

Terror_boat_51.thumb.jpg.e17aaa42337deaf15bdf79109c76403b.jpg

Thanks for looking in and take care everyone.

Keith

Thanks for the likes, views and comments everyone, i have been reading "The Terror" by Dan Simmons over the last week or so (the one the T.V. series was based on) and thoroughly enjoying it- back in the shipyard and we now have boat no.6 in place - not sure what to do with the whale boats... might have one on the skids port side and one on the port deck stern quarter?

Terror_boat_61.jpg.97e27c4bfd0bb98f984ff333f7f2902e.jpg

Terror_boats_on_davits1.thumb.jpg.fde2ee3e9f846ff8810cf93c784a2c22.jpg

Terror_plan_view1.thumb.jpg.dc194869ecf64b8176b96502b230f122.jpg

Take care all 

Keith

Thanks for the comments, likes and looking in- what a glorious weekend regards weather (been wave after wave of rain, mist, frost, snow and more rain through March)!

Spent a little time amid gardening jobs in the shipyard with the stovepipe for captain croziers stove in place and one of the whaleboats stored on the skids portside (still not sure what to do with other whaleboat yet)....... i think the end of the build is in sight😜

Terror_croziers_stove1.jpg.0dcba0419b10053e783958aad16e8728.jpg

Terror_whale_boat_on_skids1.thumb.jpg.a5cc3d833b31f1d49cdc965f6dac224a.jpg

Terror_stern_3rd_quarter1.jpg.d4924d53d13aa62b084f2783285afe8f.jpg

on my Endurance log i posted a pic of a pair of black 5 steam locos simmering in below zero temps and will repeat it here- shows what it must have been like when they were using the steam engine on Terror!

Fire_and_ice_21.thumb.jpg.0abfa207c09f68f6f5e1d11c756bf3c9.jpg

take care all 

Keith

It's been a while since I've gotten caught up on your log, Keith. You've been doing some beautiful work during that time! The end is definitely getting close for you now!