HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

cheers Jeff and thanks for likes and views as always everyone. giving the prow plenty of time to dry before fitting forefoot and keel /sternpost so started fitting the waterway.

1670734247_Terror_waterway1.thumb.jpg.5f22a1891c4d9bcf336d8ecd62b9ae0e.jpg

next up will line the bulwarks with the ceiling planks- dont know why occre didn't bother with any?

Keith

3 hours ago, clearway said:

next up will line the bulwarks with the ceiling planks- dont know why occre didn't bother with any?

I can't tell you why they didn't, but I can tell you why didn't... I spent a lot of time wondering whether I should be building in bulwark stanchions or planking, and I decided at the time that since I was going to be painting the inside of the bulwarks anyway, it wouldn't improve them to plank and THEN paint, as the planks in the kit are 5mm wide and therefore rather bigger than scale for that part anyway. I also looked at pictures of other ships, like the Trincomalee, and decided that just painting would be better than planking then painting. You can barely make out the individual ceiling planks on the Trincomalee, at least in photographs, with the layers of paint on them. 

Since I made that decision, however, I have acquired some 3mm walnut planks, which would have been lovely on my model, even under the paint, and I am giving it some serious though now because I am thinking of pulling off the pin-rails and re-doing them anyway.

Well, I'm not telling the exact truth: actually I'm only now thinking about doing it because you mentioned it.  

Edit: now I've decided NOT to do it. Maybe on the next model.

35336EEF-0344-4D48-919C-E2EEC9F77C56.jpeg

nice deck shot keith- note the sheaves in the bits on the fife rails at the base of the mast- the rope you see leading through one of them then tied off is for the jeers holding the lower yard up. i am going to plank them as i will most likely go for a varnished hull with just the "ice bumper" and lower masts bowsprit , mast doubling , tops and crosstrees painted white.

Keith

thanks for the views and comments everyone- back in the shipyard and we have the rest of the keels, the sternpost assembly and the bulwarks planked- still need trimmed around openings though😁.1164353747_Terror_stern_post_glued1.thumb.jpg.c54a385e003f4bd14828c7d50282c678.jpg

1880061338_Terror_bulwarks_planked1.thumb.jpg.87967a47a799a6b7c59ddbfca66b38f4.jpg

also bought these 1/72 ships boats from quaycraft which are 85mm long- i have a 100mm boat and some stud link anchor chain on order with cornwall model boats- by the time i have finished will have spent more on upgrades than cost of kit 🤪2132161598_Quay_craft_resin_lifeboats1.thumb.jpg.6b0301523debd2cf2d109fddbc2d142e.jpg

take care all

Keith

thanks for looking in folks- made a start trimming planking on bulwark openings and fitted walnut plank above shroud protector - think the colour will be dark enough to not need painting🤔.

Also the 10 links per inch studded anchor chain arrived- niceeeeee ( normally make my own but lifes too short and these links are only 3mm long by 2mm wide.

578947186_Walnut_plank1.thumb.jpg.1e35f7d51384588da022ecc05729a395.jpg

623846320_Stud_link1.jpg.bfe15ea90d4c575edbc58f72c39b29ea.jpg

take care all

Keith

cornwall model boats Keith- it is a caldercraft fitting so might be available else where- not cheap though because of the size i suppose- around £16 uk stirling per metre 😵 but it certainly looks the biz😁.

Keith

work on the 2nd planking starts- decided to emulate the run of planks under the iron plating as per original- will make planking rest of hull with walnut easier. used the veneer strip originally intended for 2nd planking and got to say it is very splitty and i wouldn't like to use it for entire hull- kudos to you guys who persevered with it!

marking out position of timbers on bow

1117647884_Marking_terror_bow1.thumb.jpg.cbd431f2b550796f989ebde93d213093.jpg

planking underway needed help from dressmakers pins to hold some bits till glue dried

1688368980_Terror_bow_reinforce1.thumb.jpg.06db2dd6c2af75b4cafa977aa7443181.jpg

take care all

Keith

not much happening in the shipyard due to D.I.Y. projects (getting my winter messy job lair organised with spray benches, stove and lift up shelter on veranda - admiral says i look like kiosk keith!)

did manage to get the walnut planking on the outside of the bulwarks which gives an idea how the hull will look colour wise- should be dark enough though walnut can mellow in colour when it is exposed to air long enough.1372356254_Terror_bulwark_walnut1.thumb.jpg.c7233abc109a3cd267198bbd48e3809d.jpg

the access ports etc still need trimmed to size on bulwarks.

take care all

Keith

Hi clearway, your Terror are very nice, i'm seeing you've a lot of XP making models!!! and the Victory is BIG!!!! 😅

i'm reviewing your photos, interesting the end of the first planking at the stern (sorry my english isn't capable of better description), i'm seeing also that for the bow you're not using the solid wood pieces included in the kit (well done, as expected for a master).

I'm starting the first planking stage, i'll upload some photos soon, 

regards,

F.

Thanks for the views and likes everyone. Thankyou geowolf and your english is very good. Back in the shipyard and continued with the second planking. The counter was planked with walnut and will be sanded back when rest of planking finished on the "tuck" still trying to work out best way to tackle the run onto the sternpost🤔.

1674184940_Terror_stern_tuck_21.thumb.jpg.3e7b9b159fec185c4f239bf68bc4f8eb.jpg

Take care all

Keith

Thank you Keith- i have a natural distrust of ca glue for plank work - even though you can get a tight joint the wood can actually splinter away with bits of the parent surface still attached🤪.

don't know if you can get it over in Canada but i use evo-stick interior wood adhesive which has a fairly fast "grab" time and is set in about 6 hours which is a lot faster than P.V.A. but you do have to be fairly quick in forming the bond (couple of minutes).

As an aside has anybody else noticed spell checkers arn't familiar with nautical terms for ships furniture- been teaching my samsung galaxy phoneand think it's getting to grips😁

Keith

hi Keith, very nice photos of your final planking, i'm seeing it with attention because in august i'll make mine

About final planking i'm reading it's necessary to "press" it with a solid piece of wood, to assure the planks are well glued (it's difficult to use the sandpaper because the final plank are too thin... The same as the deck. I'm not sure about it, but i plan to use a lot of sandpaper with the first plank trying to leave it as smooth, curved & sexy as possible!!

for glue i only use white transparent glue for wood, no contact glue or anything like this, for me it's very aggresive with the materials. This glue for wood remains five minutes more or less to dry but it's easy to take out/sanding if needed.   ç

regards to all,

F.

ah sorry, Occre has sent to me a pdf copy of the instructions (full version with sails), if anyone wants a copy please send me a PM with your mail and i'll share you a Drive with the file (35Mb)

regards,

F.

ty for the comments and likes everyone- blue ensign- yes i like the research side of things and the other keith (keiths) has been a great help along with matthew betts build log- long live the little terrors😁. Geowolf- that is why i have replaced the kit supplied very thin splintery veneer with 0.5 mm x 4mm walnut strip which will allow a bit of sanding back.

Keith

On 6/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, clearway said:

Thanks for the views and likes everyone. Thankyou geowolf and your english is very good. Back in the shipyard and continued with the second planking. The counter was planked with walnut and will be sanded back when rest of planking finished on the "tuck" still trying to work out best way to tackle the run onto the sternpost🤔.

1674184940_Terror_stern_tuck_21.thumb.jpg.3e7b9b159fec185c4f239bf68bc4f8eb.jpg

Take care all

Keith

Nice sternpost Keith  ( place for propelled screw ) after modification terror went . reminds me i have 1/48 terror left unfinished somewhere in the dark room  ...:) ice breakers or whatever they are called are finely done. respect. looking fwd ahead. Vlad . ps. looks like dingy next to victory :)) 

Hello Keith

Very nice planking; wonderful workmanship you are doing.

You say you don't like planking twice, can I say I do like planking twice as I made lots of mistakes on my IL Leudo hull and I could correct it, my Billings Yawl has only one layer of planking and I have to say if I had to varnish it would have looked very bad so I was pleased it had to be painted haha.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Great photos keith, for me very useful the pictures with the second planking, i'm terrified about it!! (Sorry bad joke), do you plan to use the metal planks or you'll leave the hull as this??

Regards,

F.