HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

• 2 weeks later...

Not been in shipyard much lately due to nice weather and 3m x 2m (10' x7') canopy above rear house door needing built before winter sets in. 

Had some time off today from D.I.Y. so got the pinrails in the bows to take the running rigging from the bowsprit/ jib boom, also unable to find a decent ships boat measuring 105mm (bought a plastic one but just wasn't realistic) came across this one from mantua , unable to get one from master korabel as all u.k. stockists sold out. not much detail but working on it (still a work in progress), but not too much of a problem as one of the resin boats i obtained a while ago will be sitting in it😉.

1082958750_Terror_bow_pin_rails1.thumb.jpg.ad41e909971ecc67ec43f250e26b43d4.jpg

1507330377_Terror_ships_boat1.thumb.jpg.87ba3a6a01b94d7171af4b1bd10a4819.jpg

take care all 

Keith

Thank you for the likes, looks and comments everyone. Back int shipyard and the mantua launch is now finished. Also made a start on the catheads , made new knees out of bass wood to replace the ply kit ones, and drilled/ filed square holes into the hull to take the lower timber

1303454637_Mantua_ships_boat1.thumb.jpg.a8214aee621765ce53084d591291b90f.jpg

Terror_cathead[1].jpg

Terror_cathead_2[1].jpg

take care everyone

Keith

hi clearway good afternoon,

the small boat is very nice, a great addition! no comparison it's possible with the supplied in the kit, uff my god... Also i like a lot the replaced knees maybe i'll change it too, thanks for the idea. I'm making at this moment the metal planking of the bow, very steampunk fashion at this moment hahaha i'll upload some photos asap.

regards!

Thanks again to everyone who has taken a look so far. Yet more altering of occre fittings😁 (though to be honest a lot of kit manufacturers dumb down on them), and that is the whisker booms on the catheads. I flattened the end of some of the 1mm brass rod and drilled a 0.68mm hole through it and soldered cleats for the jib boom stays. also drilled into the band on the cathead and made wire crutches for the boom to rest on. They are held in place by pins used for planking.

1447810717_Terror_whisker_boom_11.thumb.jpg.7a909a2e2ec9b8559dd3980814d9c80b.jpg

838951088_Terror_whisker_boom_21.thumb.jpg.ea7260f4f2d7329533022e4d2acdca70.jpg

1913815551_Terror_whisker_boom_31.thumb.jpg.4e1f296af7546a07fde6230b586bb6bb.jpg

take care all and keep up the good work.

Keith

Yep them small drill bits like snapping for fun! based on prototype practice Keith so unfortunately can't charge copyright fees😁 , the real things were made to swing up out of the way when in port or tied up alongside another ship, or in our case being tore off by ice as well!

Keith

Thanks for comments and views, and glad to see someone else going down the realism road along with keith s and myself Daniel. Back in the shipyard and made/ installed the stern davits (wasn't happy with way occre designed them so made them out of two solid lengths per side tapered along the hull).

617852370_Terror_stern_davits1.thumb.jpg.ac7a87f19872fdd28f7deb6505e10da4.jpg

1652401691_Terror_stern_davits_21.thumb.jpg.623cc12ea7c104048561a4a579caf811.jpg

take care all

Keith

hi Clearway, your model is each day better and better, really i like it! i've my doubts at starting about not painting it, but all wood job is awesome!

about the letters with the name, it's interesting, do you have info about the tipography in the real ship? i think in this age, all the ships showed his name at the stern but i'm not sure maybe it's a film invention. Reeding the O'Brian books it seems the people distinguishes the ships for a lot of small things: size of sails, lenght of the masts, the line of the hull, etc so at this moment i'm not sure if the ships showed the name 🧐   

regards,

ok perfect, i like the idea of the name of the ship at the stern; i'm seeing the typography used in England in the years when the Terror has ben built, more or less 1813. I finded this link: https://www.sirgordonbennett.com/british-typography/, following the years i think the most accurate typografy can be Baskerville Old Type, maybe i can made something with the laser printer...

regards and take care 🤗 

hello and thanks for looking in, oh my clocks back an hour and winter is coming to quote an excellent series😉. I was thinking sleds! Did they actually build the sleds for Terror and Erebus in situ, or were they made in the shipyard in England to save time and effort (it was the spikes holding the sled together that made me think this). Also on the antarctic expedition plans it looks like the boats are sitting on a runner from a sled. Built a basic sled (havn't drilled the holes in runners yet), and tried it in situ with the ships boat resting on it.... still can't decide if to leave it like that or not🤔. Also fastened the iron knees onto the catheads and painted the crutches for the whisker booms.

1851597581_Terror_sled1.thumb.jpg.469f111821aec2db78c907d23e7418a8.jpg

208715823_Terror_sled_and_boat1.thumb.jpg.497449eb515605272e5b474a7f96cfb8.jpg

1115492549_Terror_sled_and_boat_21.thumb.jpg.6931e0bf7ee69ff2d10c93d5916a2f26.jpg

358418251_Terror_cathead_iron_knees1.thumb.jpg.db2ba570274a7fe88fce59c83309014a.jpg

take care all 

Keith

wow, the sled is a great idea! 😲

about if they made it when they have been stucked in the ice or in the shipyard, i think they made it insitu, in the O'Brian books a lot of times they're making small adaptions or even small boats with not needed wood... surely the Terror and Erebus depart with a lot of replacements including masts and they can made it as needed,.. i like a lot, maybe i'll copy your design hehehe 😅

thanks for likes and comments, the more i look at the sled the more i like the look so will mount the two ships boats on the sled methinks😁. Keith i am going to be doing Kevels for the topsail tyes as they are on matthews plans as well as the plans you have from earlier expedition, and also need to add some cleats on the bulwarks too.

Keith

Hello Keith, 

your TERROR is a fine build and your effort into details is astonishing. In particular I like your binoculars research. So I would like to give your a little hint due to the original OcCre gratings that are to wide and simple. 

[URL=https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5987/w2mp7uvo_jpg.htm][IMG]https://s12.directupload.net/images/201030/temp/w2mp7uvo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As you can see here, the original ones are in the surface bent and the openings are much smaller. The bars are longitudinal and bent. The do have grooves for the bars croossing them parallel to the centerline. These bars are gliding in the grooves and were sanded to the rounded shape. 

So it would be helpfull to the appearance of the kit to change this details. I am still looking for my details for the EREBUS. 

I highly appreciate your postings in here as a very good prototype for all of us as we build the OcCre's  TERROR. Thank you very much, HdS

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

thanks for comments and likes, The gratings are well fastenend in place Heinrich so will have to keep overscale occre offerings. back in shipyard and started on the deckhouses and the box like structure over the rudder head. Wasn't sure whether to follow keith s with the sliding door on the starboard deckhouse, or a hinged door. Settled for hinged set further along and will add a door to the front of both deck houses (looks like divided into compartments on the plans). They are similar in scale to a full size 6' x 4' garden shed.

1389048023_Terror_stern_deck_house_11.thumb.jpg.99712395784b869f4fa07aad05a61f92.jpg

455476615_Terror_stern_deck_house_21.thumb.jpg.c07695a4b2ae9ddbdfbfa1c3503b6fe3.jpg

take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway

Did they actually do herring bone installations on the ships? Was there a special structural reason? In the future just assume I like the detail work.  I think the experience I am getting on Santa Maria will help me with Victory when I return to New Hampshire in the Spring.

Thanks for looking in everyone, Emmet the diagonal "herring bone" pattern planks are unique to Hms Terror and Erebus though other Royal Navy polar exploration vessels might have had them too, it was to increase strength to resist "bumping into the ice pack. Back with the deck houses and fitted the doors on the forward side and glued the roof planks in place (they still need sanding back on each side).

951775264_Terror_stern_deck_house_31.thumb.jpg.cd9eabcd2766f8d41bbc7a2da0bedd20.jpg

280173270_Terror_deck_view1.thumb.jpg.e24575ed46dbc94ae6339d692a236c1d.jpg

take care all and here's hoping we can all have a christmas this year in the u.k. !

Keith

What a beauty!  I see now why one would want to build her.

Christmas without a vaccine does not look great but we will just have to deal with it.  I see the UK shut down again. Not sure what that means in the UK. Here in the US the biggest impact is on restaurants and gyms.  Some states have more constraints. The threat is greatest for people like me and it is important for me to take care. As far as young people goes I am not sure they need such constraints. Too much politics over here. 

Thanksgiving will be a tough one here. That often involves the entire family-again the old mixing with the young is difficult.