HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

Thanks for looking in all, after a couple of days looking at the masts and the input of keith s i decided to go with the alternating bands and hoops on the fore and main masts as per lees book and reduced the hoops holding the mizzen cheeks to three. I was in two minds when just fitting hoops all the way up the cheeks so luckily only glued them at the join on rear of the mast🙂. I think i will now leave them at the way they look now though still not sure about adding bands to the bowsprit.1513115199_Terror_mast_bands_and_hoops1.thumb.jpg.b488d1fb8ba3bce5d9f8d64564b1d522.jpg

still can't believe how far along i have gotten with this build due to lockdown! take care all.

Keith

Decided i will leave bands and masts as they now look so added the rubbing paunches on fore and main masts (none fitted to mizzen). Also added chocks of wood to the davit posts where they meet the capping rails which will be carved to shape to form support knees (think they were to provide strength and resist snapping).

1650461294_Terror_fore_and_main_rubbing_paunch1.thumb.jpg.5fd98ed2fd262b7085b21465517193d4.jpg

1231157976_Terror_davit_post_knees1.thumb.jpg.9c12fe1590fe608b06e8dcef0f93fc5d.jpg

take care all and have fun

Keith

11 hours ago, clearway said:

Decided i will leave bands and masts as they now look so added the rubbing paunches on fore and main masts (none fitted to mizzen). Also added chocks of wood to the davit posts where they meet the capping rails which will be carved to shape to form support knees (think they were to provide strength and resist snapping).

1650461294_Terror_fore_and_main_rubbing_paunch1.thumb.jpg.5fd98ed2fd262b7085b21465517193d4.jpg

1231157976_Terror_davit_post_knees1.thumb.jpg.9c12fe1590fe608b06e8dcef0f93fc5d.jpg

take care all and have fun

Keith

wow, your model looks fiiine!! well done clearway, a lot of added (upgraded) details, i like to see your pictures!

regards and take care,

F.

Thanks for comments and likes / taking a look everyone. the paunch is the long strip of timber running down fore side of masts to hold the yards away from the mast Emmet. Tackled the spider band on the mizzen mast today using a card band and brass eyes from the kit for holding the belaying pins. Wasn't sure whether to add 6 pins or 8 pins and decided to go with 8.

1267595185_Terror_spider_band1.thumb.jpg.ab0d00e9984a597c8873b6055af62e84.jpg

Take care all.

Keith

Edited by clearway

I think eight pins is the right choice. The photo from the wreck showing the mizzen-mast doesn't show the whole thing, but what I can make out from the angle between the three pins that are visible there were definitely more than six. I used a store-bought spider-band on mine, and you can only get them in 3 or 8 pins. 

I'm honestly not sure how much rigging detail will be in his book. The NMM has told me personally that they have zero information on the ship's rigging other than the small details included in the hull plans (like the little winches up in the tops). I know Matt Betts is a gifted researcher and has more resources than us, but I am starting to wonder f rigging was both generic and dynamic enough that no-one really found it useful to make diagrams for any specific ship. I am going to put stun's'l irons in my main yards for instance, because after some thought I have decided they're a generic feature and even though the exploration ships were slow, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't have wanted to cover as much ground as possible when conditions warranted. Your mast bands, for another example: I think the only variable from Royal Navy norms would be if they used "made" masts rather than stick-masts on a vessel of this size. It's my belief that by 1845 the advantages of a "made" mast in terms of dimensional stability, strength, and durability in combat would have been well-known and would have been the norm for at least the stepped lower masts in almost any warship. Therefore I am planning on making my ship's hoops and irons exactly the way you have, in accordance with Lees' description.

It's my personal feeling that Dr. Betts' book will concentrate more on hull construction, and special fittings installed for arctic work. This is just my conjecture but we shall see. 

I am thinking the rigging will be a lot akin to lees book as well Keith, though i doubt preventer stays would have been rigged. I am going to leave the stuns'l booms off as a lot of images i have seen from later days don't have them (personal preference really though at the end). I was looking at this pic of HMS Trincomalee from around the same period and the masts look a lot like i depicted mine so a lil relief there😁.

290395968_hmstrincomalee.jpg.1784a594ab702106dfc7a795ce39a131.jpg

take care all

Keith

preventer stays were back ups in case the stays were parted in battle- Matthew also mentions she was merchant rigged, so i will double up the fore and main stays like in lees book but leave the mizzen stay single- still thinking about the stays on the top masts on the fore and main though.

Keith

Thanks for looking in everyone, today glued the rings in place for the blocks to guide steering ropes along with adding strops to 3mm blocks and hooking them in pace (eyes and strops made from annealed iron wire. Also finally got the ships wheels glued into place.782852752_Terror_ships_wheels1.thumb.jpg.6578a6281a82bf243aacc31be5415b74.jpg

take care all

Keith

The steering continues with the ropes added (surprise surprise ignore occre's instructions)! Matthew Betts plans and the ones from the earlier antarctic expedition just show single ropes leading to the tiller where as occre show a block and tackle rigged! Also sprayed the anchors with humbrol matt 33 and gave them a coat of matt varnish. Looking at this i realise i should have moved the wooden bollard on the bulwarks even further back😬🤪.

1687212120_Terror_steering_ropes1.thumb.jpg.0e1135d02f4bd374d29fbca2001d2cc4.jpg

1150810437_Terror_anchors1.thumb.jpg.83673fd7f3235a2a417823a8224b5af1.jpg

will have to think/ research the boat skid beams before starting the think about rigging mizzen mast (o.m.g. can't believe i have reached this stage after a few months)!!!

take care all

Keith

thanks for looking in everyone, back to the davits/ skid beams. Glued blocks to the davit posts which will be shaped to form the knees for the skid beams. Also cut the skids to length and shaped the ends, The beams arn't glued in place yet, but couldn't help putting some of the ships boats in place and getting a feel for how she looks with them😁

1030497837_Terror_skid_beam_knees1.thumb.jpg.2dc861d2de10ccfe2e7b6d283913130c.jpg

1947521828_Terror_skid_beams1.thumb.jpg.5c019ab7b9c5877fc4de1a039cdd8e0d.jpg

983417708_Terror_bow_view_31.thumb.jpg.cc1a52b8a73829edad1f6ae4d4ca8e04.jpg

1263771971_Terror_stern_view_31.thumb.jpg.97cd47ea150448f93ba992d3c9a930ef.jpg

i now need to try and work out how the ice bridge supports will be placed!

Keith

Edited by clearway

Ty Emmet and welcome back. back with the davit posts and carved the knees for the skid beams to shape and added some cleats, this is all looking very different from occre's set up which i think was influenced by the documentary "franklin's lost ships". I based mine on the plans from N.M.M. and Matthew Bett's log and the mid ship section Keith s forwarded to me.

577603728_Terror_davit_cleats1.thumb.jpg.97dac8710e0f4758bf0cec5f2cf98fac.jpg

take care all, weyhey less than a week til Santa! 

Joke: have you heard of the dyslexic devil worshipper?

A : he kept sacrificing virgins to santa!!!

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Keith, have you completed the work on your masts? Any good pictures of them? While I'm not there yet, I am planning. Keith S already has me ordering larger dowels for the main and mizzen masts and told me about the change in upper shrouds that I should consider, changing them to chain if I recall correctly. Have you discovered any other major changes?

I'm still very new at ship building, but willing to learn. My first attempt at getting a copy of James Lee's book has failed as I'm looking for a copy already in the US. But I won't give up.

Thanks, Daniel

3 hours ago, DanielD said:

Keith, have you completed the work on your masts? Any good pictures of them? While I'm not there yet, I am planning. Keith S already has me ordering larger dowels for the main and mizzen masts and told me about the change in upper shrouds that I should consider, changing them to chain if I recall correctly. Have you discovered any other major changes?

I'm still very new at ship building, but willing to learn. My first attempt at getting a copy of James Lee's book has failed as I'm looking for a copy already in the US. But I won't give up.

Thanks, Daniel

Larger dowels for the main and foremast and bowsprit you mean. The mizzen is OK using the dowel from the kit. 

3 hours ago, Keith S said:

Larger dowels for the main and foremast and bowsprit you mean. The mizzen is OK using the dowel from the kit. 

Yes, thank you

back in the shipyard and sanded the driver boom and gaff to shape, next job will be to fit the jaws and maybe trim a little more off the thickness. have included a photo of the completed mizzen mast (the top mast will be held in place with a fid and won't be glued in place). Will have to think about how to secure the boom sheets, thinking a short horse on top of the box like structure above the rudder head, or maybe just a block on an eyebolt?

391973039_Terror_driver_boom_and_gaff1.thumb.jpg.367cb8a49b57b4359d23e8f6d6d576c1.jpg

506357242_Terror_mizzen_mast1.thumb.jpg.c4217ce6600656aa144233b8f47255b1.jpg

Take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway

I was wondering about this myself, on Daniel's log. I do not think the rudder-head cover would have been strong enough for this, besides it's removeable so not a good spot for terminating running rigging. As usual, pictures on the internet of spanker-boom sheet rigging are not clear. I wonder if the rounded shape of the deckhouses has anything to do with the boom sheets being anchored on the corners and the slack windward one being allowed to slide over the roofs of the houses.

Edited by Keith S

Hi Keith, usually a sheet and two boomguys rigged. I think the houses had rounded roofs to shed any water shipping over the stern (ye olde being "pooped"). Another idea which i have seen is a block on an eyebolt on the taffrail with a cleat on the inner transom for belaying to. To be honest any of these ideas could be applied after the rest of the masts and rigging are in place so could wait til Matthews book avails the solution.

Keith

15 hours ago, clearway said:

merry christmas everyone, it makes you wonder what the christmas must have been like for the crews of erebus and terror when looking at the model.

Keith

Happy Christmas Keith.

I can't help thinking about the crews of Franklin's expedition whenever I look at my model. It's why I started building it. I often fly over what is widely believed to be their final resting place.