New Bedford Whaleboat by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - scale 1/3" = 1' (1:36)

Moving on to construction, the first thing is to build the assembly jig. 4 formers, then glue the stem and stern to the keelson and put over the jig. I liberally waxed the formers to prevent the planks from sticking, we'll see how well that works.

IMG_3450.jpg.934a0bb2abf5637604b0b858b5b1255b.jpg

Edited by MrBlueJacket

Next comes the first plank, a strip of 1/16 x 1/8. Then the next plank, a laser-cut piece of 1/32. So the 1/16 thick plank sits proud of the planks on either side. That's because it sits on the turn of the bilge. The instructions then say to fair it to the other planks, making a rounded surface. They also recommend putty to fill in any irregularities. For me, when it comes to putty, the more the better. Less chance of needing a second coat.

IMG_3452.thumb.jpg.65dd58c7923464168a80f4a733ae8fab.jpg

So far I think I'm into this for 3 1/2 hours or so.

Hi Nick is that auto body putty you are using?
Thanks

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

How did you hold the garboard plank in position when you glued it to the keelson? 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

4 hours ago, Srodbro said:

How did you hold the garboard plank in position when you glued it to the keelson? 

I held it with my fingers at the center of the keelson, then applied a bit of CA inbetween the two middle formers. Then is was easy to use clothespins at the ends and finish the gluing.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, MrBlueJacket said:

Here's the bow and stern sheets installed. Now up to about 7 hours. Time to think about painting the exterior.

I'm at the point of needing to paint the hull (inside and outside) of my CLC Northeaster Dory, so will be watching your process closely.

Jim

So I painted the inside yellow (spray) and didn't like it, so I wiped it off with thinner. Then I used a brush. Needs another coat, yellow is difficult to cover. Then I used a compass to mark off where the visible frame heads will go. 5/32" spacing amidships, and 1/4" near the ends.

IMG_3491.thumb.jpg.19b95687882e5b96fbf5adb510c40b03.jpg