New Bedford Whaleboat by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - scale 1/3" = 1' (1:36)

• 2 weeks later...

And 8 days later, after moving my daughter from one apartment to another (I can't believe she had that much stuff) I got to do a little more work.  Hinged mast step is done, as are the thwart knees. They are made from reed, which I sanded down in half (think "D" cross section), then painted black, and cut into 1" lengths. Soaked in water, they bent up nicely, and I could clip the excess just below the caprail.

IMG_3555.thumb.jpg.4bfe7c9f296ad64ca966891308ca1876.jpg

Next I tackled tha making of the oarlocks. The instructions say to twist and bend some wire to make them, but I thought I could do a more realistic job. I made a jig from a small piece of dowel and two wire pins, spaced correctly. Then I used thin strips of Britannia metal to form the oarlocks. In about a half hour, I had all ten that I needed. All I have left to do is drill the bottom and insert a pin to mount them. I'm kinda proud of that! One or two might need a tweak.

IMG_3558.thumb.jpg.5b7f6c5c506b53c57a1968febf9a8b45.jpg

IMG_3559.thumb.jpg.7fa0d2d2b0d07351e1437af7f779b5cd.jpg

o the next step is to drill a hole for the pin for mounting. Very difficult to hold the oarlock and drill at the same time. Looks like another jig to hold the oarlock. Although this worked OK, it would have been better to drill the hole first, then bend the oarlock. Hindsight is such a bummer sometimes.....

IMG_3561.thumb.jpg.d89f98cf1cc313e507412796a3d7a508.jpg

1 hour ago, MrBlueJacket said:

o the next step is to drill a hole for the pin for mounting. Very difficult to hold the oarlock and drill at the same time. Looks like another jig to hold the oarlock. Although this worked OK, it would have been better to drill the hole first, then bend the oarlock. Hindsight is such a bummer sometimes.....

...or drill it while it is still in the jig.

looks great!!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

Nick,

By curiosity, who are the designer of the models BlueJacket are selling?

I have an old C.S.S Virginia model in box from your company. Bought on Ebay.

Nice whaleboat! 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

17 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Nick,

By curiosity, who are the designer of the models BlueJacket are selling?

I have an old C.S.S Virginia model in box from your company. Bought on Ebay.

Nice whaleboat! 

Over the years, there have been many kit designers. Some better than others. The Virginia plans were drawn by Ed Petrucci, a good friend of mine for many years.

I am embarrassed to say I have made a real rookie mistake.

One of my newsletter recipients informed me that whaleboats only had 5 oarlocks, not 10. I went back to the plans, and realized that I only looked at the side view, saw 5 oarlocks, and assumed that it was 5 per side. If I had paid attention to the plans top view, I would have noticed that there were only 3 oarlock pads on the starboard, and 2  on the port side. Now I have to rip out half of my work.

whaleboat.thumb.jpg.7edc133c9f7041f35f0a7727ef38289a.jpg

Nick, nice barrels.

Regarding the oarlocks that below a rookie mistake, not even a rookie would have done such.😁😎

Sorry, I couldn't resist and I don't mean this as an insult to you or anyone else.

I know we all make mistakes, me for certain. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Got the mast and sails installed. Almost done.

Over this weekend, we went to cookouts both Sat & Sun, no little modeling time. I did manage to make a knife to put on the cuddy. It would be used to cut the line if the whale sounded and threatened to take the boat with it. Next will be the compass, then it's done!

IMG_3661.thumb.jpg.8dc07032b6296c66d44f25b423f31600.jpg