Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took me a long time to get the blue I wanted but happy now. Have been distracted by covid lockdowns and fishing trips but now back at the work desk and doing the bow fittings ...which are completely without instructions which would not matter so much if the photos were helpful...NOT, but we are getting there...the winch pad is not glued in that crooked alignment..just sitting there. This shows the brass anchor chain feed and rollers.IMG_20210105_171821.thumb.jpg.42cc3f880cc266022372d67799f61149.jpg

IMG_20210105_171840.jpg

Edited by Mindi

Finished the bow fitout, bit of a disaster along the way when I broke the bow rail off at one of the leg tops ( aft stb.) when bending it to shape. They have to be bent quite a lot and I was careless with my positioning in the vice. I fitted the rail and three legs then soldered the last leg and the missing piece of rail in situ...believe me this was way above my soldering paygrade so in the end I was very happy to take the result shown here without too much whingeing. Still needs a bit of a cleanup with steel wool around the repair area

gb121.thumb.jpg.479e81aba4e1a2ac28f0833d28fa4d79.jpggb122.thumb.jpg.9bd256088e8a714fd4b47192498e5e9b.jpggb123.thumb.jpg.a247613935c6cf59b8329f4d6a5a06bf.jpggb124.thumb.jpg.fb686b7a58b64f76b90d7a8c300bc41e.jpg

Edited by Mindi

9 hours ago, Bunkerbarge said:

Hi, could you please tell me how you built and finished the handrails?  I have a friend building this exact kit and he has struggled with many painted metallic finishes to try to achieve a chrome look. 

Hi Bunkerbarge..  Not sure I understand the question, all the handrails come like that as chrome plated brass so there is no painting or finishing required. Or am I misunderstanding your question..?

John

1 hour ago, Bunkerbarge said:

Ah, my apologies, they came as bare brass in my friend's kit.  Thanks anyway, lovely looking job by the way, I think the blue hull suits it perfectly.  You might find my friend's build an interesting read here:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63493.0.html

Ah really..? mine are all chromed, and I really dont know what I would do to make them look silver..tough one. Will have a look at the friends build, thanks for that.

He can either chrome them himself, I know someone did that on this forum. Or use a chrome paint from AK or a rattlecan from e.g. Tamiya, or the chrome pen of Molotow (I used the latter on a damaged door handle in my Jaguar)

[edit]

Look here

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have sort of finished all except for the flybridge screen rail which I broke and have not yet decided whether to solder and install. I should have done it when the flybridge was being constructed offline but I was missing a part which Amati sent me (thanks) and now that I  have it I am in two minds about doing it .

Overall a happy camper. Some detail I have changed to suit myself so can't claim absolutely faithful to the kit but not much kit bashing really, changed the colour scheme, made a different support for the radar antenna, enhanced some doors and rear companionways with some more detail.

Good kit....I found the chrome plated brass rails and posts generally the most difficult to manage, need to be bent in most cases but prone to breaking so bending has to be done very carefully so if you are starting out then watch for that.

gb125.jpg

gb126.jpg

gb127.jpg

gb128.jpg

gb129.jpg

gb130.jpg

gb131.jpg

gb132.jpg

gb133.jpg

Beautiful job!!!

I'm thinking about this kit for my first RC build. I know that your build is not RC but since you have the only build log on this kit so far do you have any thoughts about the quality of the instructions with regard to installing RC gear?

Once again, great job!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

6 hours ago, schooner said:

Beautiful job!!!

I'm thinking about this kit for my first RC build. I know that your build is not RC but since you have the only build log on this kit so far do you have any thoughts about the quality of the instructions with regard to installing RC gear?

Once again, great job!

TIM

Thanks very much. The standard kit does not include and RC instructions at all so I am afraid I cant tell you anything helpful..

John

Well, you have really delivered on this one. She turned out spiffy and very crisp looking. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Very well done! Mayby you should finish the flybridge railing after all ... she does look a bit .. naked ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

12 minutes ago, cog said:

Well, you have really delivered on this one. She turned out spiffy and very crisp looking. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Very well done! Mayby you should finish the flybridge railing after all ... she does look a bit .. naked ;)

Many thanks for the kind words....and the encouragement right throughand  yeah I know you are right, I will stay in denial for a while then solder and install....I know that is what will end up happening because when I did my cleanup today I carefully kept the rail bits...LOL

You should be a happy camper! Really lovely and clean piece of craftsmanship, great looking model you’ve created.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Great build. Well done.  I am just at windshield fitting stage and struggling with how the shield should sits on the foredeck and alignment with the roof/flybridge section. Should the top of the windshield be flush with the forward roof beam or sit slightly proud of it (which it naturally seems to want to to do) ?

Also is the flybridge hard glued to the cabin, or does it just sit on the locating points?  The instructions do not specify.

Do you have any additional advice/comments?

Thanks

Hi Tim

There were very few faults in the kit but in my opinion the interface between the cabin roof and windscreen is wrong. I am struggling to recall exactly but I think there is a cutout in the cabin roof leading edge which looks as though the windscreen frame should sit in it but IMHO  it will  not  and  I fitted it where it obviously wanted to go. Cut out and prep  the cabin sides and trial fit ...this will  confirm your windscreen framing position.

I glued the cabin roof/flybridge floor on... found that with my delay in doing this I had lost some curvature and  had to tape  it down for a while..

Happy to pass on my mistakes anytime......It ends up a very nice boat...best of luck with it. Keep the questions coming and I will do my best.

John