SpyGlass

Restoration of an Old Friend

DISASTER STRUCK

I was just getting my work area ready in my new house and prepared to put up for display my first proper build which has been with me for about 40 years.  AL Liberty .

I had packed her so carefully but here we have her state when she came out of the box.

IMG_1914.thumb.JPG.9811c242ca880e51eb50d355e6e1d7cf.JPG

IMG_1916.thumb.JPG.fd55b86982f86289ef8a5c243c5e9a0a.JPG

IMG_1917.thumb.JPG.e14d5eb16923086df5bf78b198a9e454.JPG

looks worse than it is I think - two end spars and if I am careful I may be able retain the standing rigging.

The running rigging may be better totally replaced - its got SEVERE CA crystallisation

IMG_1914crop.jpg.76591b976b06ad1f8112df07c1c939dd.jpg

Sorry to see this, but I'm sure you have the skills to restore her. Let this also be an object lesson to those who use CA for rigging. Please use dilute white glue or acrylic matt medium!

I"m sorry to read this.  I hope you can sort it out and effect repairs.   Druxey is right... CA is a no-no for rigging and just about everything else on a wood model.

Yes well she has been on an open shelf for most of her life -  I do use a can of air with a "nipped"  nozzle to reduce the blast when needed but evcery couple of years Er Er  a cleaning heresy - Spyglass secret 43  - immerse in bowl of white spirit - leave for 30 mins - give the gentlest possible agitation with the aid of a soft small brush. Hang up to dry upside down !

. NOT normal museum practice I think.

I am known not to like CA generally - mainly because it keep sticking my fingers to things  - like the bench.

But on rigging its a disaster after a few years -well in this case about 40.

But these knots were clean with not a trace of adhesive on the surface when they were made.IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.f7648bca1cd746f5c908c4dd214f3336.JPG

Looking at the photos, you might be able to ease the broken bits back into position.  If so, and they look "clean", a bit of glue and you're in like Flint.  I had that happen to my Vasa twice now and seams aren't visible.

I am hoping that i dont have to do more than a straight join - Because there is some tension fn both bits ,thinking if I can slip in a metal dowel - very thin drill bit.   But i will clean off the broken rigging first and then see.

Oh heavens I am even thinking of using ......   CA

Well had a think -decided i would like to keep her as "original" as possible and even keep that yukky "CA'd" rigging if it doesnt need to be replace.

She was my first completed build and I like to preserve that time  -new house ,  new wife, new daughter - happy happy days.

And here I am again just under 40 years later - new house, same wife , same daughter and lovely grandsons  - still happy times just marred by lockdown !

The Job is in two parts  - the easy bit - the bowsprit is a cleanish break. Two of the standing rigging section under the sprit were broken - but by replacing all the "under sprit" standing all will come into place. And it has the huge advantage of holding all both firmly and all square while glue setting.  I may not even need to reinforce the joint which would be fiddly. 

IMG_1926.thumb.JPG.12cd776979f4b1609eee1f6f3ac900c3.JPG

The other mast is a different kettle of fish the rigging needs to be "unknitted" but the main thing in my mind is to reserve the upper ratlines whcih would be major task to replace . One step at a time though.

Very unfortunate, but looks to be fixable. More so if it has sentimental value you will be successful.

Good luck with the repair.

Bad luck! Everything is fixable, probably a lot of things will need to be undone to repair properly. Will debonder work after all these years? 

I am going to do the minimum to make her stable but I think i will need to do very little .

I REALLY dont want to undo any glued bits that dont absolutely have to be done.

If i can fix the aft mast adequately then I hope all will fall into place - Anyway going to try to fix the sprit today and we shall see if I hit any problems.

Well that seems to have gone ok. Most the forrard rigging has survived - just replacing the under sprit stuff. Letting her dry - (PVA hehe !)

and we will finish that off tomorrow

IMG_1933.thumb.JPG.cc83374b03d17f832b29a36e4ea5366e.JPG

1535272023_IMG_19341.thumb.jpg.929080e1cee46624699249ecbcd38f16.jpg

OH _ IN ANSWER TO A QUESTION earlier on, I  adopted this approach of adding the running rigging and fastening each sails lines to each other to give an idea where the sail would be positioned.

Too much effort for all but the smallest vessel but it means that Liberty here has actually got a lot of the running rigging in position

Much easier than I feared !

Sorting the tangle of the rigging was a nightmare because it had been hanging loose and knotted itself up quite intricately.

I was quite concerned that I might break the ratlines because they were fairly stiff. But a bit of patience with a needle and it all came out.

The main rigging was still taut though flexible and the break was at an angle so I found that i could juuuust get the break back together fairly accurately and the rigging more or less held it in place with just a bit  extra tension forrard - hence the peg.

208466663_IMG_19451.thumb.JPG.3209b758503eebd5e41a05b18a020dff.JPG

So a bit of PVA and she is drying overnight - bit of very light sanding and brown stain should see us there. 

PHEW!!

Then a couple of fittings are loose, rerun the broken lines, tighten everything up a bit and I think I just MUST clean her.

That's a really nice model.  Glad you will be able to repair her.  40 years old, wow!  You were talented back then (as well as now of course)!

That's most excellent news, Spyglass.   I'm glad it's all going well.