Lady Eleanor by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64

Another excellent build BE, congratulations. 

I’m sure everyone appreciates the level of detail you provide in your logs. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

7 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

moving onto the Zulu.

The sooner, the better since I'll certainly benefit from watching you build yours before I get going on mine!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Another amazing build, looking forward to the Zulu masterclass 😉👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 1 month later...

Hi BE,

On the 14th June you posted pics of your decking...

DSC05447.thumb.JPG.ba0679dc3bf9ff5973c5433d86040007.JPG

I've ordered in planks to make my own decking on the Lady Eleanor.

But now realise I should have also ordered margins planks which, as you noted, are a bit wider than the deck planks to allow the 'cut-outs'. I'll order them in the next few days.

Anyway, Question - Can I ask how you made the cut-outs in the margin planks....I see you mention a chisel and a scalpel (IIRC). Would a No10A scalpel be sufficient or do I also need a good quality micro chisel?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

When I laid the deck of the Fifie I followed more or less the pattern of the pre-printed deck which had a margin plank into which the plank ends are joggled.

However, with the Zulu, in reality there is no margin plank as such, just inserts between the timberheads, and the planks are not joggled.

It strikes me that the Fifie would have had exactly the same arrangement with infils between the exposed timberheads, the set up is the same on both boats.

There is only a narrow margin on the Zulu kit pre-printed deck onto which the timberhead pieces sit. The planks are simply cut at angles to meet the margin.

Were I doing the Fifie again I would have fitted a narrower margin plank (to represent the infills) and simply cut the deck planks to meet it.

To answer your question tho’  the joggling cuts can adequately made using a scalpel blade, I use Swann -Morton No 11 blades, but I also have their excellent chisel blades in 1 and 2mm widths which do come in useful for square cuts for the plank ends in margin strips.

In practice once the bulwark stringers are fitted along the timberhead faces, there is not much to see of either margin or joggling.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

B.E.

Hi BE,

That's great info...no real confusion and thanks for the input.

I did have to Google 'timberheads though...all part of the learning curve....they are the same as 'bulkhead ears'?

So it kinda looks like I can 'legitimately' get away with just cutting the deck planks at an angle to suit where they meet the inserts between the timberheads. That is a lot simpler for me for me to do.  And I don't need to order wider planks for the margins.

Thought - the bulkhead ears are removed (Pg 22, Pics 73 & 74)...so I don't need inserts netween them...jut a long length of curved plank either side of the deck at the base of the bulwarks?

I've just about fitted the last of the first planking on the Lady Eleanor (Pg 16, pic 45 in the Manual) . Next, filling in the gaps and sanding smooth.

Quite enjoying it 😉

Richard

They are not the same as the bulkhead ears Richard, they are position specific Pearwood 'timberheads' included with the kit. They are designed to sit atop the printed deck, or your own planked deck. Their positions are marked on the inside of the Pearwood bulwark pattern.

As you say a long length of curved plank fitted around the margin is all that is required. As long as it is wide enough to sit the timberheads on, that is sufficient. It wouldn't be an issue to  cut a tangent on the margin plank  to aid the curve if required.

Regards,

B.E.

Ah, OK...thanks B.E.

I see the timberheads on page 28, Pics 96, 97 & 98. And the timberhead parts are narrower than my 3mm curved planks so I should be OK.

I think I'll re-read the manual. I need to absorb it a bit better.

Thanks again,

Richard

• 11 months later...

Congratulations! Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

This is pretty awesome. So much so that I have ordered this kit from Vanguard and hope to start construction next month. If mine turns out to be one tenth as good as yours I'll be a happy chappie.

This has inspired me to start researching a bit about the Fifie and one staggering fact I came across (well, at least to me) is the nets actually cost more than the boat!

I'm also very tempted to go for a sail on one, I understand the Reaper does day trips. 

Thanks for a truly brilliant build log.

I just can't get the Ewan McColl song "Shoals of Herring" out of my head.

Steve

Edited by Steve G

11 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Thank you Steve for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the log.

I'm sure you will enjoy the kit it's a great little build.

I have a visit to Anstruther on my bucket list, maybe next year, a bit of a haul at around 350 miles, and I would want to make sure the Reaper was doing trips.

Regards,

B.E.

I may have got confused, I'm pretty sure that I rad that the Reaper does them, but the Swan definitely does,  but you have to travel even further - Shetland!