CSS Virginia by cgiacoppo - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:192 - My son Michael's first wooden ship build

• 1 month later...

Nice to see some youth in this hobby.  You are off to a good start.  One of my favorite ships.

Any more progress on this model?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 3 weeks later...

Notches were cut into the hull allowing insertion of the section line templates.

20200518_200951.thumb.jpg.a851c859355f7003513a27d4edbbcceb.jpg

Wood strip applied temporarily in the position of the keel to act as a guide.

20200518_223350.thumb.jpg.49b77865439f0a4f53b5c07d936fbff0.jpg

Shaping the bow one section at a time.  We carved down to the edge of the template and then smoothed out to the previous section line.

20200528_173046.thumb.jpg.abb9b3d35365295b4691bf718ec56bd7.jpg

Shaping the stern.

20200528_173709.thumb.jpg.7ce7440670a97e64fdcb3d22bdec5b83.jpg

Port side shaping complete and rough sanded.  Wood filler will be used to fill in the remaining trace of the notches prior to fine sanding.

20200628_155820.thumb.jpg.db8c7f5101291473ff0651dd0f273d6a.jpg

On to the starboard side.  Shaping the stern.

20200712_181157.thumb.jpg.2c17fd3659fa46116908d8749a5a719d.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After another long break Michael is returning to this model.  During the break, he built the frame of the Chuck Passaro English Pinnace that he was given as a gift, and completed a model of USS Laffey DD-459, which took 1st place in the Junior division at the 40th annual NE Joint Clubs Ship Model Conference on April 29th in New London, CT.  New pictures to this build log coming soon.

Edited by cgiacoppo

Pintles & gudgeons are not part of the kit.  At 1/16 scale, we'll keep it simple.  Hat tip to jre8655 and his post from 2013 - we will use a similar technique.  Michael drilled holes with a #74 drill and glued in 4 pieces of brass wire.  These will be used to connect the rudder to the post and should be concealed when complete.

20230430_190446.jpg

• 8 months later...

Notice the copper plating along the keel in the previous 2 images.  This is difficult at this scale, requiring a 1/16" strip of copper foil.  The smallest we could find was 3/16" so I am slicing them in half (not easy!).  At this scale, we decided to leave out the nail pattern.  This was a test strip and we were pleased with the result.  We will continue this once further progress on the model is made.

We cut out a thin piece of wood to serve as the top of the ship, in the hope of getting a sharp edge between the top and the sides.  It has been glued and clamped in place.  
Once the glue dries, we'll remove the clamps and see if any patch work is needed to create a clean, sharp transition from the sides to the top.

20240128_170507.jpg

20240128_172210.jpg

I just finished a complete read through of this log. Nice job on the model.

Glad to see you have continued to work on this model. 

I find the battle between the Virginia and Monitor too be a great study in the evolution of warships. An interesting book (IMHO) is The Monitor Chronicles published by the Mariner's Museum which houses artifacts of the Monitor.  The book uses source material of letters from crew members, newspapers articles, and letters from some of the principle players.

Another on the ships and battle is by John V Quarstein: The Battle of the Ironclads

Keep up  the nice work on the model. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)