FINISHED - M-50 Israeli Sherman - MP Models - 1:35 Scale

Love the weathering on that rolling gear  very life like.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So what color did you use for the body Craig? It came out much more faded and brownish than the OD I used on my Huey. It is still a little browner than I was hoping for but still not as green as what I used either.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Before it's all said and done, I'll mix in varying percentages of flat white with the dark yellow, get that reduced down real thin, then use it to highlight various places on the model to give the dark yellow a sun faded, battle worn look. I'll do that last once most of the model is assembled and before I add on all the fuel cans, stowage, and tools.

This was a limited run model made in the 80's, and not nearly as high tech and well designed as today's CAD assisted molds. The track links are individual units and must be assembled piece by piece with just a few mating points on each link and are secured by glue...each and every link. 

In these photos, I have assembled one set of tracks then painted them in gun metal. Once the glue has time to properly set up, will build, paint and install the opposite set, then will weather and detail them before installing the upper tank hull.

DSCN3838.thumb.JPG.a6c28f3916d342bfd97fba2afea5f348.JPGDSCN3839.thumb.JPG.7fde959dfd2d57b6cfed6f0b890a71ea.JPGDSCN3840.thumb.JPG.f4094f6da22051a1aae316a248602174.JPG 

Your doing a great job mate, I remember those individual tracks on a T72  I once built  (bloody fiddly)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Your doing a great job mate, I remember those individual tracks on a T72  I once built  (bloody fiddly)

OC.

Thanks OC. Yes, indeed they are fiddly. Just can't get in a big rush or else it'll end up a mess.

The idea is to assemble long straight pieces, let the glue set up, then come back and gently bend them round the drive sprockets, hoping you've "guessed" the right number of links to match up at the ends where they join. It's not an exact science, more like trial and error.

Nice fade with your body color. And the suspension looks great, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Nice fade with your body color. And the suspension looks great, too.

Thanks, Ken. It's fun working with an armor model as they are not as sensitive to painting errors as are automobiles, aircraft, and ships.

None of the parts of this model are assigned a part number. All you can do is follow the crude pictorial "instruction" sheet, that's really more of a suggestion sheet as the correct part locations are very loosely shown. It helps tremendously to have lots of reference photos from other sources.

Here, I started the assembly of the upper hull and finished another set of tracks before I ran out of gas for the day. It was a good rainy day for modeling, tomorrow will try to finish up the upper hull and start getting some paint on it.

DSCN3841.thumb.JPG.5cad10b08ed2967eed04b07dd1168da4.JPGDSCN3842.thumb.JPG.2ac6c7a664a0d77ce15b6b1964ac5dc0.JPGDSCN3843.thumb.JPG.2c066e50ea9f95bc0f02f473d227398d.JPGDSCN3844.thumb.JPG.247e64cd7b5631b094ea55bfac9ed8df.JPGDSCN3845.thumb.JPG.1e8a9c3919a5b6f588757db1a62d87f6.JPG  

Some good detail on that  hull   should look great  weathered.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, CDW said:

When Israel became a nation in 1948, Shermans were available in significant quantities as surplus from WW2 military equipment stockpiles. Many armies the world over had Sherman tanks in their military inventories.

Or in storage dumps rusting away.... Every country in Europe had at least a thousand of them... Germany, two thousand.... WE did not bring them all home.... {chuckle} Lots of them got sold off at pennies on the dollar to whomever wanted one... many were sold for scrap value and made it to the black market arms dealers...

Post WWII was an arms sellers dream....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 5/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, CDW said:

Never played the simulations, but I used to see a lot of guys playing on tables at the hobby shops. Those games seemed quite involved.

Panzer Leader, Tobruk, Desert Fox, Battle of the Bulge... just a few my brothers and I played. I loved BotB, I couldn't lose on either side and that pissed off my brothers... But then I couldn't win in Desert Fox to save me either... Panzer Leader campaign games became epics 48 - 72 hour marathons... (when mother pulled the plug is when they usually ended) none of us could win that one...

The old days of being young and not having a care in the world....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 5/16/2020 at 6:50 PM, CDW said:

Interesting video about the Sherman tanks, including this model/version and the subsequent purchase of the tanks by Chile. A long, storied service life of the Sherman tank.

You see that image on the video , that is a sherman tank mounting a 90mm gun. and every time I see something like that is reminds me of the brainless ideals of Leslie McNair, who said that the Armored force could not have a sherman with a 90 cause it simply wouldn't fit.... (despite how many times the Armored Board and Tanks Corps said it would and they could do it) cost tens of thousands of lives that bonehead ideal... (after McNair was ordered by Marshall to sent the M-26 to Europe, he went over there to see if his orders to scatter them around in singles units were being followed, he was killed in action) and thankfully Eisenhower, as CoS after the war, disbanded Army Ground forces cause it did more to screw things up than it ever did to straighten things out...

At some things, we were our own worst enemy....

Quote:

This is coming out nice brother, great job on the tracks.... anticipating the rest of the color scheme, so far looks great.... Israeli armor can be very difficult to get right, it's not like US armor which is one color to match and is easily made... you need multiple colors and layering techniques to get it right.. One of the reasons I don't do them... (I have an affinity to drabish greens with white target markers on them)

Quote:

32 minutes ago, Egilman said:

This is coming out nice brother, great job on the tracks.... anticipating the rest of the color scheme, so far looks great.... Israeli armor can be very difficult to get right, it's not like US armor which is one color to match and is easily made... you need multiple colors and layering techniques to get it right.. One of the reasons I don't do them... (I have an affinity to drabish greens with white target markers on them)

Thanks EG....glad you're here.

One thing for sure...I would hate being a tanker. Cramped up inside all that steel, and can't even imagine how terribly hot it must have been inside in desert warfare. At least the modern tanks are air conditioned, but as all things do, the air conditioning probably breaks down from time to time and I would bet repairing an A/C system isn't a high priority in the big scheme of things.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

One thing for sure...I would hate being a tanker.

I got to ride in an M-60 once for about 15 miles or so. It is really an impressive way to travel for the most part, but the real shocker for me, (But probably obvious as an after thought) was the overwhelming odor of diesel fumes!😝 Even with the hatches open and traveling at a good clip most of the time, I had a headache by the time we arrived. I don't even want to think what it would be like all buttoned up on a hot day.☠️

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, CDW said:

One thing for sure...I would hate being a tanker.

I would also.  Especially the  "Ronsen" Tank.   I did get to drive an M901 when I was doing the manuals for it. Between fuel, ammunition, various greandes, side arms and that big fuel tank.....  nope... don't want to be in that beast, I'd rather take my chances in a chopper.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking great mate, reminds me (with the colour)  when I  built a Desert Storm  British Challenger tank.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 hours ago, CDW said:

Love the British tanks, although at this time only have the Centurian...an IDF one.

The Tamiya versions  Challenger 1  and 2  are both Brilliant kits, well worth internal and super detailing  Accurate Armour  do some Fabulous Resin and PE  update sets.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

She's really beginning to look the part....

Quote:

Wow!  your making fast progress with this project!.............looks great! :)    the color looks super too...........the only tanks I've ever built had the rubber tracks.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch