Wütender Hund by ccoyle - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72

Could you glue square or rectangular section "stringers" to the inside surfaces of the sterncastle at the bottom, where they meet the rest of the hull? That might take up the slack without being too obvious.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:21 PM, druxey said:

So, what would a shipyard worker of the time have done?

He probably would have just whittled away some wood from the framing until he got his pre-cut panels to more or less fit properly. 😋  Well, at least that's what I did.

wh1a.thumb.jpg.3e6c1a433a463207c0fb9e2a5a5d9dac.jpg

wh1b.thumb.jpg.79138d50e4c8d101f8b285de8346df82.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Very nice indeed

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...

'Ello -- nearly three weeks without an update, so here's an update. This project isn't dead -- far from it -- but it got temporarily derailed by a family visit and a higher-priority side project. I did get into the shipyard today to do a little work, but nothing worth a photograph.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

Ok, but my coffee's getting cold . . . ;)

I have some sort of strange modeler's affliction where I get about 2/3 done or so with a model and am already thinking about the next one -- this partly explains why I have three partially finished models on hand. I have to force myself to finish the current job before I indulge myself with starting another. 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hi Chris,

just found your build log today, don't know how I have missed it, I love this era and you are doing a beautiful job,  As for your strange modelers affliction I have that exact same problem!  If you find a cure for it let me know, I am afraid to count how many unfinished models I have on my shelf.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Very true. I have to force myself to stay focussed on my current build - otherwise I'd be starting all kinds of new ones. I have a list a mile long of models I'd like to make, and it takes a considerable mental effort to keep on the same one and get it finished, particularly when I'm doing something repetitve and boring, but necessary to finish the model.

Even now I've got two under way rather than one, but I've at least put one on hold till the other is finished.

9 hours ago, bigpetr said:

The cure is to do the model fast , while the initial spark still last🙂. Human needs to see outcome of his work quite fast, so when it lasts too long and building problems to solve acumulates he jumps to another subject unconsciously thinking it will go fast and easy🙂

I quite agree with that also.  This might be why some builders have multiple projects going on at once.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just catching up on this, everything looks really nice. Haven't thought much about this kind of ship before, so this is a fun introduction.

Okay, you might have to look hard to see the difference between this photo and the previous photo -- just a few new bits. Next up is building the forecastle. I stained all the parts today, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to start it.

wh35.thumb.jpg.5b3310700751a2426f4ebc80a75c32d0.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

You are making me want to get back into the garage and do work on Cardydog.  Oh, wait, it's 100 degrees in the garage.  Maybe next week.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

12 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

That is a windlass just under the break of the sterncastle, isn't it?

Yep, it's used to raise the the yard.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

And finally, some real progress to show. Forecastle complete and mounted. Just a few small bits to do before beginning masting and rigging.

wh38.thumb.jpg.aada24506d60d675113052479a55e2d7.jpgwh37.thumb.jpg.7c5bd8d797d44d2283f4f4f9d39e0f56.jpg

wh36.thumb.jpg.44ac3ac5331a280c36743e99ca800552.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Really beautiful work Chris - fantastic job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Really nice progress Chris.

What glue do you use ? In the instruction manual Shipyard shows a contact glue (Pattex) and I was really surprised to see this. I am thinking to use Titebond woodglue.

If the the weather is so worse as expected, I will start the build of my model today.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks, Christian.

6 hours ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

What glue do you use ?

I use both Titebond and medium-cure CA, depending on the task.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

This anchor marks the end of Book I of the instructions, hooray! On to Book II -- I started tapering the mast today.

wh39.thumb.jpg.63a725521def5b9a07ab545a9bdfdb24.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, you've done a lot of beautiful work in just a little over three months. Anxious to see what the next three months bring. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Anxious to see what the next three months bring.

Hopefully completion of this model, building something with wings, and a 10-pt trophy buck. 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

congratulations for reaching this milestone. I started yesterday with page one of the instructionbook.

This anchor is looking really modern. Did you some research? If I am back at home I can check if I find something in my books.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali