Wütender Hund by ccoyle - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72

I am jealous.  I am about the same place but mine is crappy less good.  Also, you are doing a better job of documenting.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Well, a plank here, a plank there -- slowly the work is progressing. Here is the progress to date:

wh12.thumb.jpg.5fd9d3b7028d4fc718f21fc3bd116cd2.jpg

wh13.thumb.jpg.0698939a1cb35e713533ea550166a3b8.jpg

Mostly I'm making this post to document for other builders a problem that I have been having with the planking at the stern. I've been running into a lot of trouble with closing the seams where planks overlap -- but only at the stern. Hmm. Here's a shot of the bow:

wh14.thumb.jpg.8aab3f9753fccd17515261c8603bdd45.jpg

As you can see, everything looks nice and tidy.

But now, here's the stern:

wh15.thumb.jpg.95567e03fe12f0b835731071b446413e.jpg

You can see that there's stubborn gaps forming as a result of needing to bend the planks a certain amount in order to make them align properly. Of course, the close-up photo makes the problem look much worse than it actually is, and a person would have to view the finished model from a very awkward angle to see the open seams, but still I'm finding it rather annoying to try and correct.

Two more strakes, then it will be time for the first application of stain.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Nonetheless it's looking very good, Chris. That's going to be a very attractive model. I'm a bit of a cog freak, so I'm enjoying following this build.

Steven

Perhaps, while you pre bend your wet planks to fit the hull, you should also try to edge bend them a bit with your hot iron. Attach (glue) them only if they lay perfectly on the hull - that way you will avoid these gaps.

Also, earlier on, you were right with those Polish markings: the letter L in Polish means strona "Lewa" (left) and the letter P means Prawa (right) side of whatever.

I still remember my Polish, after leaving the country 40 years ago (!). So, if you have any problems with understanding your instructions, ask me and I'll try to translate this fragment for you, OK?

Looking good!  Will you pencil dot your nails later or leave them as they are?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Looking excellent...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

13 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Will you pencil dot your nails later or leave them as they are?

Hadn't thought about it. It would be a lot of work, and I subscribe to the "less is more" school of thought on treenailing.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

When all is said and done, by the time you get the stain and no pencil dots, the existing 'nails' will be visible but sufficiently subdued so as not to overwhelm the model, like on mine.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Next milestone reached

wh16.thumb.jpg.00dc6dcadecfea7eefaa20b6186d1ea9.jpg

wh17.thumb.jpg.1daa3904cb72fb28c5778c92d5251adf.jpg

After eight nine strakes of lapped planking, the instructions call for staining prior to installing stanchions. The Polish name for the suggested stain color wasn't translated, but in the photos it looks something like golden oak. I went instead with golden pecan, which has a redder tone. I like the result.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

@Chuck Seiler Chuck, I hope you like gluing in false frame extensions! I finished up the starboard side -- all 37 of them. Now onto the port side!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

For me it is more than 37...or maybe 37 with complications.  Since I am having to cut some of the planking pieces and inserting longer planks (see above)(edit...oh wait, this is your log, not mine...see my log for discussion on planks) I need double thick frame extensions at the point where the joint is.  So far so good.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

41 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

I need double thick frame extensions at the point where the joint is.

Ah, yes -- I forgot that some are doubled, so really only 34 per side. It went pretty fast, though.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

My decks are wood and I gave them a coat of Wipe On Poly.  On my first extension, it stuck to the planks but not the deck.   :angry:  For follow-on extensions, I had to rough up the spot on the deck a little.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

That looks really nice - very well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I used Golden Pecan either for the interior or exterior of my PHILADELPHIA.  It's a great color...good choice.

The nails look good without the pencil dots.

Are you staining the interior as well?  If so are you using oil based or water based.  My concern is for the glu-ability of interior frame extensions and other support lattices.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Are you staining the interior as well?  If so are you using oil based or water based.  My concern is for the glu-ability of interior frame extensions and other support lattices.

Yes, I stained the interior, though the reverse side of the ply doesn't take the stain as well. I had to go with oil-based stain only because the local stores had a pathetically small selection of water-base colors to choose from. Home Depot had maybe two, and I think Lowe's had none at all, at least not in the small cans. I'm not going to buy a gallon of stain for one model. Anyways, I have not had any problems so far with gluing the frame extensions.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Last night I finished installing the frame extensions -- all 68 of them (bleh). No picture at this point, because despite the sheer number of parts, it doesn't represent a huge leap forward in progress. Planking the bulwarks will be the next significant task.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Beautiful work, Chris! I think this puts you, Chuck, and myself roughly at the same stage. Only, I've had a lot of unrelated issue get in the way that's pretty much halted my progress for the past month or more. Hope to get some progress going again, so I don't fall too far behind you guys!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Next update: Frame extensions and the last planking strake that goes with them completed, along with the remaining interior framing at bow and stern. One issue to look out for, albeit a very minor one, is that the the last three interior frames at the stern had the left and right labels (L and P, in Polish) reversed. Not a big deal, since the parts are identical, but using them as labeled will result in the reverse side of the ply facing out, if that makes a difference to anyone.

wh18.thumb.jpg.484ff27ac53aee2122eb6dd725db255b.jpg

The fit of the frames isn't as perfect as the next photo suggests; some of the frames extend slightly above the bulwark (how much above depends on how good a planking job one does) and must be cut and sanded flush with the top edge.

wh19.thumb.jpg.3c3e07d550a0d3bdfbb90a060034e6f2.jpg

wh20.thumb.jpg.2437fc32654c150e9fb4ec0200ac0d38.jpg

That takes us through p. 17 of the hull construction.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Upper decks planked and hatchway installed. I had to stain a few bits off the model, so I went ahead and also stained the existing interior framing, along with the last plank that I installed. Looks pretty sharp, I think -- it's kind of growing on me.wh21.thumb.jpg.4479eb43e2070eef2bc2329d246d4551.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That’s looking really nice.  Great job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Further progress. I'll call this first shot a pic of the "kinda looks like a windlass thingy," even though I know it's not a windlass. Bit more of the interior bow framing added as well. Heads up @Chuck Seiler: That pseudo-windlass thingy took quite a bit of fitting to get it in there right. I had to remove some material on the starboard side.

wh22.thumb.jpg.474c64928fdcf15ffecd0513f4cb7245.jpg

And I also got the port-side interior bulwark planking done. When I originally did the outer planking, I was a little worried, because they didn't have much in the way of gluing surfaces. But once all of the interior framing and planking is added, the hull is actually quite sturdy.

wh23.thumb.jpg.9c1e2ff41d7b96be6eac17f09d4201c4.jpg

Onward!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Beautiful work, Chris. That shape is much rounder than I'd ever thought - very suitable for carrying cargo.

Steven

20 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

That pseudo-windlass thingy took quite a bit of fitting to get it in there right.

The thing up forward?  I have seen it described as an above deck, athwartship deck beam...as opposed to the 4 or 5 that are below deck.  They all end up sticking out the sides like an old adobe house in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Fore warned is fore armed.  I am about a week away from that.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

3 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

That shape is much rounder than I'd ever thought - very suitable for carrying cargo.

As I mentioned in my log, pretty clunky looking but it did the job.  It didn't have to far or fast but it did have to haul the goods.  Later, when speed became more important, the length to beam ratios changed.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Interesting model Chris and you're doing a beautiful job.  Nice clean work and I really like the interior framing at the stern and bow.  Looking good!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox