Wütender Hund by ccoyle - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72

6 hours ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Did you some research?

Not for this one. I'm not doing any extra detailing -- pretty much a straight out-of-the-box build.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I finished the crow's nest and turning the mainmast last night, but as I stained the mast, I noticed that there were obvious sanding scratches left in the wood. So, no picture until after I get a chance to fix that little boo-boo. Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hey, I just discovered this great project. Thanks for the many pics of your work in progress. I'm just about to start on the rib work of two similar ships and I could do (and have done) a lot worse than follow the example of your amazing project. Keep up the good work!

Mainmast completed and stepped. Considering that there is only one other spar to turn, plus a couple of flagstaffs, I'm hopeful that the rigging will go relatively quickly.

wh40.thumb.jpg.16e8118a0a22f8b6602c2423673d75a5.jpg

My card model stash in the background grew by one addition today -- but I'll reveal that in the "what have you received today" thread.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That's looking really good.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Okay, this won't go down as the greatest accomplishment in the history of ship modeling, but I'm pretty happy with it. The kit provides brass belaying pins, but instead of the necessary fifteen pins, it only came with eight. Whoops! So I dug around in my spare parts stash and found some leftover wooden belaying pins -- the chunky, over-scale kind.  I turned these down with my Dremel tool, a file, and some sandpaper to get something more similar to the brass pins -- not exactly the same, but most of each pin will eventually be hidden under a rope coil, so close enough. They're black because I used Blacken-it on the brass pins and painted the wooden ones to match. What can I say? The captain went with iron pins. The main yard is also turned, but not in the picture. Next up: setting up the shrouds!

wh41.thumb.jpg.bf8faa931b72daab83b5273a9299a2b4.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

kind.  I turned these down with my Dremel tool, a file, and some sandpaper to get something more similar to the brass pins

I’m impressed. Very nicely done! Do you rest the dremel on anything? Or simply file in one hand and dremel in the other?

Today's progress. Shrouds installed, but still need to finish tying off the hearts. The funky white string in front is a temporary forestay to counter the tension of setting up the shroud lanyards.

wh42.thumb.jpg.196a3ae0a61076259aa6e29fd594ec6d.jpg

After shrouds, it's the single forestay and two backstays, then off to running rigging.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

The funky white string in front is a temporary forestay to counter the tension of setting up the shroud lanyards.

Good idea. I think I'll make use of it for my own build.

Shrouds are done, and thanks to some help from Jack in steering me to an old thread on shroud twist, I managed to get the lanyards set up with only a slight amount of twist -- far better than what I was originally achieving, which was like a half-dozen twists each. Now, as far as the shrouds themselves go, sharp-eyed observers may notice that I made a bit of a mistake on them. If you know what it is, don't say anything!! My target audience for this model is extremely unlikely to notice that anything is amiss, and I had to weigh that knowledge against the tedium and inconvenience of completely redoing the shrouds. I chose the easy option -- so shoot me! 😉

wh43.thumb.jpg.307820bacda8e906314deb6bbbee32fd.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

- Tuco

Words of wisdom, my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, at the moment I am just pissed off beyond all belief. I just finished the backstays, the last pieces of standing rigging, and then I noticed that two shrouds on the port side are wrapped around each other. I have no idea how this happened, but I am pretty darn sure that I didn't set them up that way -- that's something I would have both noticed and taken great pains NOT to do. I guess it's just my luck to run into at least one colossal disaster per rig per model (remember the infamous "disappearing sail & yard" on the cannon yawl?). I am just sick, sick, sick about this -- it's the kind of thing that saps all of the fun right out of a build. 😡😡😡

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

We feel your pain, Chris. Is it simply undoing the laniards, swapping the shrouds over and untangling them, then re-reeving the laniards? If so, it isn't that bad, surely?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Chris, I hope you're able to set things right without losing interest in the model because it's a beautiful build. 

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Is it simply undoing the laniards, swapping the shrouds over and untangling them, then re-reeving the laniards? If so, it isn't that bad, surely?

You're right about that. It probably won't take long to fix -- it's was just so flippin' annoying when it happened! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

it's the kind of thing that saps all of the fun right out of a build

I can't "like" that, but I do know the feeling. But it's retrievable, and it's a beautiful model. Maybe just take a break, have a coffee, come back to it later.

Chris,

I am not shure if I understand your problem right. I had saturday the opportunity to make a short trip with the replica "Kamper Kogge" and that is what the shrouds are looking on the real ship. So don't worry if they are not really parallel.😉

KamperKogge.thumb.jpg.c8cd96751ab910fa64f3c4ced003912d.jpg

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hang in there Chris we feel your pain 😀

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well, I got the Shroud from Hell fixed, but it took not one, not two, but THREE ties to get it done! 😜 On the first try, I got the lanyard laced up incorrectly. On the second try, the stopper knot came undone. But the third try succeeded. Kinda reminds me of the Swamp Castle scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. At least my boat hasn't burned and then fallen into the swamp -- yet.

wh44.thumb.jpg.1576bc94ae8e27e29ab5e0b18d1a0e27.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The stopper came undone, Chris? That's a new one for me! I'm sorry but I laughed; it was one of those "If anything can possibly go wrong..." things. Anyway, I'm glad it's successfully fixed now. Looks good.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On to painting the sails. Reminded me of painting by numbers back in the day -- like waaaaay back in the day! The front, featuring Mr. Mad Dog himself, was not difficult. It was actually the back that was a bit of a pain. The kit provides tan paint for painting what I assume are panel seams. When wet, the tan paint is very close to the color of the sail cloth,which it makes it difficult to adjudicate if one is staying inside the lines -- which are printed only on the front, of course. The tan is much easier to see when dry, at which point one can plainly see all one's errors. 🙄

wh45.thumb.jpg.1fd75b1fd9ae83cf6b7cdad046ee11f3.jpg

PS: The family agree that Mr. Mad Dog bears a slight resemblance to our corgi mix, AJ, when he is approached by strange men wearing hats.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Bolt ropes done, sail halves lashed together, sail bent to yard, and reef points done.

wh46.thumb.jpg.77b8b3803c676fe38363362b113680b9.jpg

So, of course, yard had to be hoisted.

wh47.thumb.jpg.f5a163b66f278bf3fbcebb14c8be44dc.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

Well done!

Something that has been bugging me for awhile...how does one get into the forward castle?  The ladder leading up to it appears to be too far forward.  I think it should rest on the rear of the castle rather than end underneath of it.  I know that is how the kit is designed and that is how Roland von Bremen (replica of the Hansa Cog) had it, but....

Any thoughts?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

In many (not all) contemporary representations the forecastle is shown without a rear "wall", so access is pretty easy. But there are also quite a number that show it with a rear wall, so perhaps both are correct.

However, getting into the forecastle on this kit does seem a little difficult. I don't know what the right answer is but you raise a good point, Chuck S. 

Got the yard braces and lifts done today. There remain only the sheets, tacks, bridles, and clew lines. Surprisingly, the otherwise extremely thorough photo instructions seem to have overlooked the clew lines, but they're shown on the plans.wh48.thumb.jpg.d066373e17d1ff637db2ed2d2e57160f.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco