Wütender Hund by ccoyle - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72

Got the various bits of the bow in place. This completes the basic hull structure. @Chuck Seiler The ladder turned out to be too wide to fit its spot. I had to disassemble it and trim about 1 mm from each step. I glued the sides in first and added the rungs afterward. Next task is to fabricate and hang the rudder.

wh24.thumb.jpg.2d145b8be41f1a973fc96f07d92ba44e.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

On 6/13/2020 at 8:05 PM, ccoyle said:

One issue to look out for, albeit a very minor one, is that the the last three interior frames at the stern had the left and right labels (L and P, in Polish) reversed. Not a big deal, since the parts are identical, but using them as labeled will result in the reverse side of the ply facing out, if that makes a difference to anyone

I am at that point now.  I was watching out for this, but found a different problem.  There is a part (135) in thicker cardboard, then there is a better quality but thinner overlay (135a).  So for each you have 135L, 135aL, 135p and 135ap.  In my case, some of the overlays are reversed so that 135aL covers 135P. 

As long as you are paying attention, it is not an issue.

Great work so far Chris!!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

The rudder is hung. Pintles and gudgeons consist of short bits of plastic tubing overlaid by faux metalwork made from brown cardstock and painted. Simulated bolt heads are daubs of glue.

wh27.thumb.jpg.5eb17e95776c069b3e0ce2ed2ab5b9f8.jpg

wh26.thumb.jpg.5099276e834fa558795dce937954fa04.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed in the first picture that the rudder is riding up a little bit. 😑  No worries -- it's not glued in place, so a little push will set it properly.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The last steps in completing the lower hull are to install the wales and beam ends. With those tasks accomplished, attention shifts to the upper works.

wh28.thumb.jpg.c8600046188c1a08c50120adf2e66378.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Man that looks like real wood.  Really well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

6 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Man that looks like real wood.

It is real wood! 😉  This is Shipyard's first foray into wooden kits. There is of course also the card version, which Chuck Seiler has been working on.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Oooh I thought it was card, my mistake!

Really nice - excellent job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Chris,

Outstanding!!!  Very crisp. 

So, what is the deal with the rudder?  Did they have to untie and retie the rudder lines each time they altered course?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

58 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

So, what is the deal with the rudder?  Did they have to untie and retie the rudder lines each time they altered course?

Dunno. I can't even vouch that the kit mirrors actual practice -- I just build it the way the instructions tell me!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Dunno. I can't even vouch that the kit mirrors actual practice -- I just build it the way the instructions tell me!

Since the model seems to be somewhat based on the Bremen Cog wreck, I'm thinking they did SOME research.  Maybe not.  Having driven a 12 foot sailboat and a 4000 ton destroyer, I find it hard to believe they would lock their rudder in place and good exactly the way they wanted to go without any minor adjustments.  I can't do that in my car.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chris,

I am working on my inner planking.  I currently have the picture of the Roland von Bremen on my desktop as inspiration.  As I am installing the inner planks I am noticing things on the RvB.  Shouldn't the model have cap rails?  Nowhere in my instructions do I see cap rails. 

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Shouldn't the model have cap rails?

Dunno the answer to that one, either. I know virtually nothing about the construction details of cogs other than what I have learned from working on this kit.

P.S. I learned something last night. I have been using 3M 77 spray adhesive for large wood-to-wood joints, as I would with similar card parts. I learned from experience that non-acrylic wood stain acts as a solvent on the 3M product. 😮 Hopefully, after everything dries the glue will reset. Hopefully.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Doh!!!!

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Well,lesson learned -- I had to peel apart and re-glue all the poop deck bulwarks, but other than that little speed bump, work is progressing nicely.

wh29.thumb.jpg.95f7c02bccfc87cc8448c26ded49a7d4.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

23 hours ago, ccoyle said:
On 6/30/2020 at 12:43 PM, Chuck Seiler said:

Shouldn't the model have cap rails?

Dunno the answer to that one, either. I know virtually nothing about the construction details of cogs other than what I have learned from working on this kit.

Upper works on a wreck are usually the first things to be lost, unless the wreck happens to be lying in a position/inclination that preserves them for us. The Ijsselcog seems to have had had none surviving https://www.academia.edu/40371597/The_IJsselcog_project_from_excavation_to_3D_reconstruction and the Bremen cog also seems to have lost a lot of its upper works - https://www.ipi.uni-hannover.de/fileadmin/ipi/publications/wiggenhagen_04_istanbul.pdf 

But if we compare the two pictures below (from https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/the-so-called-bremen-cog/owKSqVwIBfJGJw ) it looks like the hooked timber for the anchor is still in place, so the top strake must be as well - in which case there seems to have been no cap rail.

image.png.edf127808d5bf8fbd3f5f26e52a0b137.pngimage.png.9ced51f3744a2a7d7fb083d20f0ad10b.png  

One thing that really gets me is how short the strakes seem to have been. I wonder if there was a reason for it?

Sorry to hear about the speed bump, Chris, but the model is looking very good.

13 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

One thing that really gets me is how short the strakes seem to have been. I wonder if there was a reason for it?

The strakes or the planks in the strakes?  Are you basing that on the above picture and other representations or of the wreck?  I don't think the planks are small, I think the people are too big.

planks.thumb.JPG.7a687b709a18052e4f3748a0daf4746a.JPG

The planking pattern on the above picture, and other representations I have seen, is similar to the Wunterhund model.  I think they LOOK short because they are wide.  The above station master is 5 scale feet (5 feet 1 inch).  The plank 3 strakes above him is 14.5 feet long and about 2 feet wide.  I believe the representations show the cog as they see it, but the people are much larger...artistic license.

Whadya think?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

That makes a lot of sense, Chuck. Without a sense of scale it does appear that the planks are short in comparison to their width, but apparently it's the other way around. (And with planks that wide there would be serious spiling problems if they were any longer.)

Got the trim work on the stern castle done. These are very delicate, and the task went much easier after cutting the longer pieces into smaller parts.

wh30.thumb.jpg.5883c485b902e6cee91440c50bcbb031.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nice crisp work. From personal experience I know how hard these castles can be , so - kudos.

The stern castle substructure is now complete. A dry fit to the hull revealed a couple of things: First, don't hang the rudder until after the stern castle is on the hull! Second, it will take some very careful fitting work to get the stern castle to sit properly on the lower hull. But before I do that I need to construct the windlass, and before I do that I have to get hold of some dye for the kit's white cordage.

wh31.thumb.jpg.6f5d7b5cad1ec18c7d1a7ca32a89435c.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just out of interest, Chris, what does the kit have in the way of fixings for the lower end of the shrouds? I've just been looking at this in relation to another "cog" build at 

Rather interesting. It appears deadeyes didn't evolve until sometime in the 15th century.

The kit includes wooden hearts that are attached to wooden posts along the hull side. The posts function as chainplates, the hearts as deadeyes. Other than that the shrouds are pretty much set up in the usual fashion.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I was wondering what they might have done about it. As far as I know this isn't something that has received a lot of attention, but there's been very little information available. in most images of cogs which show the shrouds (unless the fixings are just left off by the artist) they seem to end inboard, such as in the ones below:

168265572_1329SealofStralsund.jpg.47cd67d3c7b716671add427ece9df026.jpg   1356885984_1200Ipswichsealcog.jpg.e8cbacd4adeb280e09e6ce7d9678dee8.jpg 

1329 Seal of Stralsund                                                                                                                    Seal of Ipswich - the date given is 1200, but I find that hard to believe.

image.png.42ccb03d6deb0218841cff5671ab6c5b.png  

Royal MS 10 E IV Folio 208v c 1300-1340

388042252_BodleianMarcoPolobig.JPG.86d6c00cf4f48efd87972b63ff861288.JPG

A 15th-century illustration from Marco Polo’s Travels, held by the Bodleian Library, Oxford,

However, the seals below seem to show something like what's provided in the kit. The first two are the seal of Elbing in Germany, at different magnifications. The third is the seal of Southampton, early 15th century.

2042bcf400b1da444d3fdf4e2f678000.jpg     image.png.ad9a1792bbb38379789c1b12cca89b70.png   1401099391_EarlyC15SealofSothampton.jpg.889540868d2949ec2615c30c7137b73f.jpg

The whole subject of cogs is very interesting - it's just a shame that so little information is available about such things as the rig, and we are reduced to "best guess". It looks to me as though the solution provided in the kit is as good as we're ever likely to have unless another cog is found, but with the rigging intact. We can only hope. 

Just a quick update. I have hit a bit of a mental snag. Before I can glue the stern castle to the hull, I need to dye some of the rigging cord. I have the dye on hand (not literally -- that would of course be messy). The problem is that the kit does not specify how much of each diameter of rigging line is included in the kit, nor does it specify how much of each line needs to be dyed for each color (i.e. tan/taupe/natural for running rigging and dark brown/gray/black for standing rigging). So that's something that I will have to figure out. In the meantime, I have been working on a few bits that follow later in the build sequence. Will post pictures once I get the line dyed and stern castle mounted.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Okay, I got it done. I calculated how much of the dark line I needed, stained it, dried it, completed the windlass, and mounted the stern castle to the main hull -- hooray for me! It took quite a bit of shaping of the forward stern castle to get it to sit properly, and I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me when I get around to attaching the remaining hull siding. Getting the stern castle actually onto the hull was another challenge, because it needs to be glued down in several places, and also the tiller handle has to be put through the aft framing prior to finally positioning everything, and of course all before the glue sets. But it's done. Whew!

wh32.thumb.jpg.5ba23576429811d27ab22cb53bf6592f.jpg

wh33.thumb.jpg.c286b749c50bc3ee2f6b1478be6ac0a8.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

20 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me when I get around to attaching the remaining hull siding.

It did. Pics later, but basically what happened is that during the lower hull construction, I didn't get the sides flared outward enough. I'm not sure why that happened or what I could have done about it. The lack-of-flare is not much, probably less than 2 mm, but it creates a problem with mating the upper hull sides to the lower hull sides at the stern castle. I will have to think about how to best resolve this issue. Think, think, think ...

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco