Wütender Hund by ccoyle - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72

Matt, the sail comes in two pieces with the panel lines and mad dog printed on them. All the painting and stitching, etc., must be done by the builder.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

This is Chris'

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

4 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

This is Chris'

It's like when you run through all of your children's names before you arrive at the right one. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

There for a minute I thought we were about to play "who's on first"

It really looks special. The sail is awesome...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Okay, gents, I have one final task to do on WH, which is adding the anchor and its hawse. Here I have a bit of a conundrum, because the pictorial instructions show the hawse cable looped around a knighthead -- but then they do not show where the hawse leads to, that is, the end that should lead below deck somewhere. It seems logical that the hawse should come out from the amidship hatchway, but that seems a bit far away from where the anchor is lashed to the bulwark. Any advice?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The mystery is where, if anywhere, does the hawse disappear to on the aft side of the deck beam. It looks like it just simply terminates at deck level.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That's what it looks like to me also. The hawse comes from the anchor over the bow, down the starboard side of the ladder, coils on the deck and is tied off above the coil. 

I'm up against a similar problem with my dromon. Fortunately I have a forecastle the hawse can be stored under, but the space there is limited, and I have to find room for a number of anchors stacked in a pile as well (Byzantine anchors were very light and they had to use multiples). I think just coiling the hawse on deck where you can find a space is probably not only the best, but probably also the historically correct answer.

Well, ladies and gents, I refrained from posting progress pics recently because there wasn't really much to do in order to finish the model up. So, this is the Big Reveal! And it only took me four months and nine days to knock this one out, which must be close to a personal record. As is usually the case, I'm not entirely happy with everything and feel there are some things I could have done better (if I weren't so hasty), but overall I am satisfied. More importantly, I am DYING to get back to a card model, and now my bench is cleared for action.

Some thanks are in order:

• Thanks to all of you who hit the 'like' button and/or commented. The camaraderie is always appreciated.
  • Thanks again to SHIPYARD for taking the plunge into wood kits and sending this one out for a review. All in all, I think we can say that this kit works, and I hope they sell a lot of them. If this build log has helped anyone decide to have a go at a SHIPYARD product, be sure to check them out through their USA vendor and MSW site sponsor, Ages of Sail (see ad banner on home page).

Here are some preliminary glimpses of the finished model. I will shoot a better set of photos for the gallery in the near future. Enjoy!

wh49.thumb.jpg.5d3f7fb959f3e3edee212fccbee72cce.jpg

wh50.thumb.jpg.c6bc3e29a0906919650c87e631f94dab.jpg

wh51.thumb.jpg.78fc42e8acc68de17bdac59e87634cfc.jpg

wh52.thumb.jpg.3f5d772a35b17276ede84b0cd63b24a8.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Very nicely done Chris, great job!  Agree with druxey that it's nice to see something a little different on here.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Chris,

Well done!!!!  What is next?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

7 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

What is next?

That is an excellent question. It will definitely be an aircraft, but I currently have 35 in the stash, so deciding on which one will be an enjoyable challenge.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Congratulations, just a beautyful model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Lovely work, Chris.   I think the ship looks great.

Will you be doing a separate review in the "Review" area, Chris?   I think that would be a good thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Will you be doing a separate review in the "Review" area, Chris? 

Already did. You even hit the 'like' button! We're gettin' old, Mark! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

10 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Already did. You even hit the 'like' button! We're gettin' old, Mark! 😉

Dadgummit.   You're right.   I guess I need to get off your lawn.  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I guess I need to get off your lawn.

Is a rest period involved? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations Chris - she turned out really great.  Beautifully built model of a interesting vessel.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 8 months later...

Very nice!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me