Bentley 4.5 litre (altered version) by kpnuts 1/12 Airfix

Nice - I have this kit in the stash.  Works into a real beautiful model from some of the amazing work I've seen on the web.  I'm sure your restoration will be up there!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Reworked some of the engine.

When I first got this back I had visions of turning it into Chitty but then thought I would check out the different versions this engine was used in and decided on the boat tail version.

What's funny is the first guess a lot of people made on what I was doing with it was Chitty (I thought turning it into Chitty was quite original and no one would think of that) 

I quite liked the idea so my question is (I dont know how to do a poll) which would you like to see most the red boat tail Bentley or Chitty.

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

That supercharger is something one doesn't see much of.   Even back in the day, it was bit rare as superchargers went.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi all started on the body (that rear end wont be pointed it is cut square on the car)

It also flares out over the suspension lots of work on this part just wondering whether I will have to stain the wood red or if the mahogany when varnished will be red enough, I think on the actual car it is stained.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

Beautiful engine work.  Can I ask - why are you modifying the back half of the car?  Are you building a different version?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

so I guess the Chitty is out.........that's what I get for being late to the party  ;)   I've never seen a Boat tail model before,  so this will be interesting.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You know, sitting here, following along in the background lurking, I have to consciously stop the thought of reaching for my tool box when I see stuff like this, Ratchets, sockets and wrenches will not help in this endeavour....

I"m at a loss for words so rather than become a broken record, I'll lurk and drool in private......

Very impressive...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I built this Airfix on my honeymoon (in our new house)46 years ago. I cut through a new expensive tablecloth but my wife was still young and more forgiving than now. Later built a 1:8 E-type jag(don't remember manufacturer) but small kids played and destroyed both. I'm crying.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

It was Etorre Bugatti who called Bentleys "Les camions le plus vite", or "the fastest lorries". And famously when criticised for his cars poor braking he claimed they for going , not stopping.

The 1/8th scale E -Type was a Monogram/Revell kit. They did 3 different Corvette Stingrays and a Model T hotrod too in that scale.

I was asked by a London silversmith to make a pattern for a 1/12th scale Bentley that they could produce in silver. I used the Airfix Bentley, with modifications to produce the model to keep costs down.  I also did a similar job on the 1/32nd scale kit for a smaller, cheaper model. They were cast in resin and then electroformed in a minimum of 7 thou. silver which permitted of a Hallmark.

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

That looks really good - can I ask what wood you used?

Mike

Looks like mahogany to me... but I could be wrong...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 5/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, kpnuts said:

I will have to stain the wood red or if the mahogany when varnished will be red enough, I think on the actual car it is stained.

That was way back up in post #8..... Mahogany it is...

Quote:

On 5/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, kpnuts said:

Thanks for the info (I wasnt sure who it was it was i thought a toss up between Ferrari or alfa glad to have the correct info)

This in silver must have been pretty impressive.

Wish I had those sort of skills.

The silversmith actually got the electro-forming process completely wrong and needed to do a vast amount of re-modelling to meet the deadline for the first model. I spent a weekend with him and his father treating sheets of silver as I would brass and making parts from solid silver that couldn't be cast in resin and electro-formed.  I figured if I could make stuff an experienced silversmith couldn't and quickly, too, I was worth a Hallmark.  So I applied and got one.  The silversmith was so put out that he took all his stuff away from my workshop when he knew I wouldn't be there and I never heard from him again. He went broke because he took too much on to do the electro-forming and hadn't learned how to do it. A classic case of over extension, with a good old kick of arrogant ignorance thrown in.  I've never used the Hallmark, but it's still valid for a few years more (it lasts an odd 27 years) and if another half useless so called silversmith approaches me I shall wave my personal Hallmark punch under his nose and double my price!

Are you going to replace the moulded spokes with fine wire or stretched sprue?  Easy, but SO tedious<G>

Cheers,

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

The wheels look fantastic - well worth it, nice job!  What gauge wire did you use?

Mike

Well I've spent most of tonight working on the exhaust (it goes down and under the car on the original version) it has to come out through the side panel on this version and on the actual car would have nuts to undo in order to move the exhaust and open the side panel. On this I obviously cant glue the exhaust to the manifold as I wont be able to put the side panel on and I cant put the side I've managed to figure a way to do it similar to the way it would have been done on the real car (will post pics when I've painted it all)