Ford Mustang 65 by Fnick - Revell 1:24 - Finished

Evening all

Welcome to my next car build. This wasn't supposed to be my next car build but as my next car build hasn't even left the warehouse it will become my next car build after this next car build!😄😁

Probably not a bad thing in fairness as it gives me another stab at making mistakes I mean increasing my experience. Heres the box art.

1834085543_IMG_20200515_0722288522.thumb.jpg.0352bde9c154623420c0d8472d7e8c5e.jpg

However I'm going to paint it gloss red with two white stripes in the middle similar to this

12239713-1965-ford-mustang-std.jpg.aec7d477cb77c58cc782cd4ad7352761.jpg

(Image downloaded from classic cars.com) as red and white are going to be the primary colours of my next car build and I wanted to get some experience with using those colours.

Having looked at a few videos and picked up a few tips from the good folk on this website I'm going to start on the car body at the same time as building the engine.

First thing to do was to work out how much I could glue one go before painting and without it hindering the insertion of the car interior later on. Good job I did this as the parts don't fit perfectly and I would have had to do what I had to do on the Aston which is to add filler after painting and then repaint...

IMG_20200515_072340873.thumb.jpg.4ce5cced5e4474f405edb439ea4e32e4.jpg

IMG_20200515_072326723.thumb.jpg.5b32ec8456aa3e0a62cec068e044636b.jpg

Gaps have now been filled and I have started cleaning up the body of mold lines and flash. Next step is to sand down the filler and start painting!

Stay tuned and thanks for looking in

Nick

I built the same model, though an earlier version of the Revell kit, when I was still in school 53 years ago. It was one of my favourite Plastic models. I painted it in a similar colour to this one, although more on the metallic turquoise side.

Thanks for bringing back the memories :) . A pity it got lost years ago.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

12 minutes ago, fnick said:

Maybe it's time you ventured back into car models?.

I'm afraid my modelling (of any sort) days are over :( . Both my health and eyesight have failed me. AAAARRRRRGGHH :( 

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

My first car was a '65 Mustang convertible, 6 cylinder, 3 speed on floor, manual top - no motor but not needed because top was so well balanced you could raise/lower with one hand, only drawback was you had to exit the car to do it.   Color was Twilight Turquoise, depending on light either sea green or green.  Great car.  

54 minutes ago, fnick said:

I just fired off the response without thinking...my apologies.

Nose wet Nick :D .

Cheers, Danny

I recall a Mustang model I did years ago.....I believe it was a 3 in 1 kit,  but can't remember the maker.   it had all kinds of customizing parts for the body......fit was terrible,  but it looked good at the time :rolleyes:   I've yet to find that kit again.   good start  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

AMT maybe? a lot of their kits comes 2 in 1..

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

it's likely........god awful fit.....I can tell ya that :D    came out look'in good,  but no locator pins or tabs at all.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi all

The engine is coming along nicely and I have started painting the body.

712522584_IMG_20200522_0718105262.thumb.jpg.21a84f7d1faf122abc5141f92560825c.jpg

54198967_IMG_20200522_0718334002.thumb.jpg.b89e0245bc7c8dc3d89d69f37385893e.jpg

For the body I am using mr hobby aqueous red gloss. It is a very nice paint but is quite tacky and dries very quickly so you need to work fast when brushing. Unfortunately I don't have any thinners to hand apart from white spirit and I am guessing I probably should not use that. Any recommendations?

1975447796_IMG_20200522_0707239932.thumb.jpg.ac1e8c324af86027311a199fd4bc32f4.jpg

It doesn't look this good in real life! 😄 Still very patchy. Another couple of coats required. I might try to thin it down a bit more with water to see if it helps.

Nick

Hi all

Engine block now mounted to chassis. Reasonably pleased with how it came out. Source of annoyance is that one of the exhaust pipes doesnt quite connect to the engine so it's going to be tricky to try and fill,sand and paint now... I did do a dry fit but clearly not well enough!😄

Next step is starting on the interior.progress is going to slow down considerably as my wife is going back to work and I need to look after the kids from next week. Still have to work my hours and one of them will be every morning when I would have normally been modelling...😞 Oh well c'est la vie as we say and it's only for 7 weeks until the summer hols. 

But enough rambling...

47260276_IMG_20200527_1859391862.thumb.jpg.354c5ca619e6ebdd85ecf655627cd70a.jpg

1726952922_IMG_20200527_1859534972.thumb.jpg.d60bd9f00e473305ee430f3888335c70.jpg

1358341366_IMG_20200527_1900235512.thumb.jpg.bb621947b5c704323b70529f4fb980f7.jpg

1611732398_IMG_20200527_1900578062.thumb.jpg.39a4324e14e75322bae069cb9c3dc6a3.jpg

Just also noticed a couple of places need a bit of touch up!

Nick

nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah... nice Holly 4 barrel, wonderful headers, probably a decent cam and....... super long exhaust pipe with street mufflers to kill power and make it sound respectable.   I remember those days too well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nick, I have AMT 1965 Ford Mustang, 1/16 scale.
And I was thinking making her red as well.

A friend of mine has a real 1966 with original 302 engine. Red with red interior, so I was going to base my model from his car.

Nice start by the way.
Are you to add on etched parts? 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks for the comments and suggestions the likes all!

3 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Are you to add on etched parts?

Nope didnt even know you could get photo etched parts for this kit 🙂 (thanks for the the link. I'll see if anyone has it in stock in the UK and it is my birthday next month!). My main aim with this kit (apart from having a car model to build...one I ordered still gathering dust in a warehouse because 1 item in my order is not in stock...) is to get used to using the Mr hobby colours.

Fitting issue fixed and started dashboard detailing. Only planning to use a couple of kit decals for this (inside of the two main dials) and do everything else with paints. Using mr hobby chrome silver. For once light is quite harsh and it does look better in real life and yes a few touch ups required but this is work in progress!

PSX_20200528_082856.thumb.jpg.766675edca6c76f3f366be6551a1ca4d.jpg

PSX_20200528_082931.thumb.jpg.f364edb3bcba0970a14d8d2d261d9787.jpg

Cheers, Nick

Nice dash, 

I am to use Valejo paint and airbrushing.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Hi all dash finished. Reasonably pleased with how it came out. Was a real struggle to paint the thin lines below speed numbers. I didn't use all the decals for this as didn't want the chrome colour on them to clash with the paint.

PSX_20200530_072329.thumb.jpg.5018877b8569597eb67f8d57a1cc8a18.jpg

PSX_20200530_072526.thumb.jpg.b5812957d02d84b29fb389a231468ab8.jpg

PSX_20200530_072539.thumb.jpg.df7565a54d88ef3346f80579e2e0faea.jpg

Thanks for looking. Next step is starting on the car interior!

Cheers

Nick

Nick, those decals can be struggle.

Nice job of painting the speed dial. What type of brush did you use?

Respectfully

Thanks Nirvana!☺️ Combination of the smallest brush I have and also trying to use a toothpick. Problem I had with the toothpick is that if it's not sharpened to a point too much paint comes off at once but too sharp and none comes off the end! 

That is amazing work on the dashboard.   Scarily amazing.  My eyes would be crossed and my mouth turning the air blue trying to do that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just now, mtaylor said:

That is amazing work on the dashboard.   Scarily amazing.  My eyes would be crossed and my mouth turning the air blue trying to do that.

amen brother!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Anyone know the auto restore series on the Tv  where the same team take in cars and restore them back to the owner  - there was a really nice Mustang  they did up in one of the programs.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Apart from the speed indicators it was just a question of being careful. The decals made a massive difference. The ones for the two round gauges had a silver metallic edge to them which I removed. The speed numbers decal did also have the speed indicators but I didn't want to have any chrome effect from the decals.

Nick

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Anyone know the auto restore series on the Tv  where the same team take in cars and restore them back to the owner  - there was a really nice Mustang  they did up in one of the programs.

OC.

Either Overhauling  or Counting Cars could be the program, probably the latter.

Respectfully

When in High School, around 1970-72, you could buy used '65 Mustang Fast Backs or Coupes for $500. Lots of my classmates had them, they were popular and guys that had them ran them hard. Back then, a car with 100,000 miles (or even less) would need a complete rebuild, engine transmission, suspension, etc.

I bought a '64 Chevy Nova. Mine was a 230 cubic inch straight six with a Power Glide transmission. I loved that thing. Completely rebuilt it after paying a whopping $90 for it. Wish I had kept it, as it was a sentimental vehicle for me. Easy and cheap to repair, good fuel economy, and plenty of power really even with the six.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. Seats paint and fitted in interior along with dash.

Car bonnet also painted. Need to start thinking about the two white stripes.plan is to use tape to mark stripes out and then start sanding carefully to remove gloss coat from red paint. Knowing that white doesn't have generally great coverage properties I'm thinking of putting down a coat of grey first to try and keep the number of coats down. 

Might try it on car bonnet first so that if I need to strip the paint and start again at least it will be a small part!

PSX_20200627_203250.thumb.jpg.2d491f1a3298782076c388ece307435d.jpg

PSX_20200627_203305.thumb.jpg.d4d6b70e8292d8e88769a25ff4f79ed4.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Nick

Masking, sanding, and priming with grey will be a good approach for the white racing stripes.  Next car, maybe think about laying down the white first, then masking the white areas before putting the red down.

Really enjoying watching this come together, it’s both a classic car and classic model!

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!