Ford Mustang 65 by Fnick - Revell 1:24 - Finished

Cheers Craig that is not something I had thought of. Have to admit the challenge of doing it the hard way with paints is also appealing... Why make things simple when they can be complicated...😄

And thank you for your compliment. 

Nick

I would agree...........you can use photoshop to create the decals and print them in your home printer.  I make decals all the time  ;)    nice job with the interior.......looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

So I decided to go down the painting route main reason I wanted the finish to look the same on both colours and I wanted to see if I could do an ok job! ☺️ If the whole thing goes pearshape then I can always strip the paint of the bonnet and start again...(plus I still have the decal option up my sleeve)

... Which is what I have just done! 😀 No it didn't really go pearshaped it's just that I was struggling to get a good finish with the white even with a base coat of grey. Even after  sanding back down and retrying a couple of times.

So I ended up doing what I should have done a long time ago... Listen to the experts in this particular case Plasmo who mentions in a couple of his videos that in his opinion the best white coverage wise is the citadel base white paint. The main reason for stripping the whole bonnet back was that I was worried about not being able to properly sand back right near the masking tape and ending up with a big paint ridge. This in fact is what happened as I confirmed when I removed the masking tape. On the plus side doing that showed me that if or more hopefully when I get this right the two white stripes are going to look really good and quite close to the picture I put up at the start of this build.

Anyhoo enough rambling here's a picture.

PSX_20200719_210409.thumb.jpg.3fb61abe0154386f5c65ca7935220b0a.jpg

I decided not to paint the white stripes first which yes would have been easier because as the car body is already painted red then I'm also going to paint white stripes over red for that as well (and I am not stripping the car body back!). Hopefully all I need are a couple more coats of red on the bonnet and I can start the stripes again.

As you can see I have also been playing with the molotow chrome pens. My aren't those things great! 😀

Thanks for looking in

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Still having issues with white paint...☹️. As good as corax white is coverage wise it is not white more very light grey which means that when I try to put a coat of Mr colour aqueous gloss white (which slightly translucent) then the grey shows through... Ggrrr... So another acrylic flat white paint is in order to see if that will help... I'm not going to re-strip the bonnet (yet...) as I need to concentrate on the main body as most other bits are painted.

Here's what the bonnet looks like at the mo.

PSX_20200731_072357.thumb.jpg.ae9b886b25a8f155de20fac8077a6107.jpg

As you can see not the best finish. More experimenting required. I'll get there eventually!🙂

Nick

Very nice work and great painting. 

at the risk of starting a war, I never understood the appeal of the Mustang. When they came on the market my first thought was: why buy this when there are so many great European sports cars.  The  early Mustangs were built on Falcon chassis, that is no sports car 

Just now, ragove said:

at the risk of starting a war, I never understood the appeal of the Mustang. When they came on the market my first thought was: why buy this when there are so many great European sports cars.  The  early Mustangs were built on Falcon chassis, that is no sports car 

The answer is/was very simple: great looking styling, at an affordable price. 

Being someone who actually owned a European sports car back then, I can tell you that owing one was a royal pain in the a** when it came to maintenance and acquiring spare parts. None of this was an issue for Mustang, Camaro, and Firebird owners. 

I'll second that. Craig. Very hard getting parts and finding shops who'd even work on them.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'll third that Craig, as an owner of 65 Mustang convertible. My younger brother had a 60 MG A which was constantly in shop for tune-ups etc, he swapped it for a 65 Mustang after me. Great car ! 

Well, back in 1965 I couldn’t afford any car at all. I had a 1952 Plymouth with plywood covering the holes in the floor. I think my parents bought it from a relative for $25.  So, if I was going to fantasize about sports cars it was Porsche Speedster. If you are going to dream, dream big😇

I have to join the, been there done that crowd. My first car was a Renault Dauphine that while not a "Sports car" was fun, small and surprisingly handled pretty well. But it was a hand-me-down from my sister’s husband and almost worth what I paid for it. Parts were impossible and my knowledge of cars left much to be desired at that point so I was unable to keep it running reliably.

Two cars later I was able to buy a MG-TF and LOVED it! But at that point was unable to keep it running due to constant parts needs and required tuning. The tuning I could do myself for the most part by that time, but the short lifespan of parts caused me to have to sell it when I went into the Army. That was my last sports, or European car for the next 45+ years. A Porsche or such was pretty much out of the realm of consideration back then, (Still kind of is)  the closest I could have gotten was a VW if I struggled hard and skipped a few meals now and then.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The Euro sporty cars had their issues... I bought a Fiat 850 Spider just the looks and well... much of the time was spent looking at it.   I did want one of the early hot rod Mustangs but never could see my way to affording one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My first Euro sporty car was a '74 BMW 2002tii. It was a stealth hot rod. A 2 liter, mechanical fuel injection, 4 cylinder screamer. Boxy looking 2 door, 4 seater. But, I could hang with a Porsche 911 on the autobahn. Did it a time or 2 in '75-76. I've had a Beemer or two ever since then. The Admiral drives our one now; I drive a Ford. ;):D

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

That they were. My squadron in Germany had a number of TRs, a few MGs and even a TVR. I got to drive a few of the TRs and a Triumph Spitfire. Did not like the shifter in the Spitfire. The Beemer's worked and felt much better.

Ken

looking at it from a mechanical aspect,  many of the domestic cars had multiple arrangements for engine mounts.....one could upgrade a mustang very easily.  I've never heard of someone souping up a european sports car,  unless they were changing the fuel management system or engine specs.  I think the Mustang came out with more variants of this line........Plymouth comes in second.   amazing stuff could be done with the older cars.........unfortunately,  it a lot harder to do stuff like that with today's cars.

I've had a dislike for colored plastic....a lot harder to paint in different colors.  even with some primers,  the tint still comes through and will alter the color your using.   are you using a brush?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Finally...

PSX_20200804_142911.jpg

PSX_20200804_142926.jpg

PSX_20200804_143008.jpg

...managed to get a couple of good enough white stripes. Not perfect but good enough...

On 7/31/2020 at 7:48 AM, fnick said:

I'm not going to re-strip the bonnet (yet...)

Well...😁

PSX_20200805_140633.jpg

Why wait! Just about to restart the stripes on that but at least I now know this will be the last time I do that! Overall pleased with the outcome. A few places where the white paint bled into the red but that was sorted with some gentle scraping. I'll double check those areas again just to make sure they don't need more remedial work.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

the body came out great! :)   how you got the spacing on the stripes is really nice......a lot more to scale than if you were to have used decals.   what I meant by colored plastic,  is some companies use colored plastic as a way to market to folks who don't do a lot or painting.  I've found though,  that after sanding to get rid of mould lines and injection pin marks,  this is really not possible......just doing a clear coat shows them like a sore thumb.   white and yellow are the two worst colors to paint over an existing color....you did well on the body....fingers crossed on your redo of the hood  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

...some companies use colored plastic as a way to market to folks who don't do a lot or painting.  I've found though,  that after sanding to get rid of mould lines and injection pin marks,  this is really not possible......just doing a clear coat shows them like a sore thumb.... 

These car bodies are natural plastic, no paint. Just buffed, polished, and waxed. But in a way you are right. Sometimes the plastic just is not suitable because of inherent flaws. Other times it is fine, depending on the particular model.

DSCN1472.thumb.jpg.7067a39a388b89c71691f86fdf7788bd.jpgDSCN1413.thumb.JPG.4fd619aeb3b6f5ac07808fa7dc9c9767.JPG

Beautiful work my friend, and yes the quality of the plastic is the key to natural color finishing....

Me, I have never done it at smaller than 1/18th scale... my opinion was that it is easier to come out with a fine finish with paint on a smaller model.... (but that is just my opinion)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you my friend. Appreciate it. I'm quietly optimistic this will turn out ok... Trying not to rush it (always a temptation 😋)

Glad I am taking the time and redoing things if I don't like the way they turned out. Plus I don't want to disappoint you lot!😁 Tough crowd that you are!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

Right bonnet sorted now. Well at least that was the case until I started sanding the paint ridge on the white paint and some red pigment ended on the sand paper and on the white... So a small amount of touching up to do.

Some pics

IMG_20200810_174731329.jpg

PSX_20200810_175933.jpg

IMG_20200810_174927608.jpg

Thing I'm not so sure is whether to do a glossy clear coat or maybe just a satin finish (which I would need to order). I also need to do the interior colour in the car body.

Nick

So I thought I'd start putting the "Ford" decals on the bonnet and guess what muggins here decides to do...?🙄

Yes you've guessed it I managed to lose the "F" 😠🤬. Queue lots of colourful French language... Thankfully the kids were already in bed! 😁

This morning once I had calmed down and after having a quick look to see if I could easily find some replacement decals (I couldn't) I started building the "F" using thin strips of unused decals. I also put on the rest before I lost those too,😋

Although not perfect I think it might just do. Waiting for the whole thing to dry before finishing the F off.

IMG_20200811_071508180.jpg

Also I've decided to go with the glossy coat because a) it will protect the model and b)if I apply just one thin coat followed by a slighter wetter coat it will have the new car look without it being too blingy. Hopefully...

Stay tuned for more trials and tribulations!

Nick

18 minutes ago, fnick said:

Stay stuned for more trials and tribulations!

NOW we are having FUN!!!!

(I have a sneaking suspicion that stuned is a second cousin of stoned, halfway between tuned and stoned, and yes I've been there, chuckle)

Nice work on the decal btw, I've also had to use that solution before, looks like you've got it down.... A nice smooth gloss coat should make that baby pop!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hi all

Thank you for the likes. The F is now sorted. Had to redo it since I was not happy with the first attempt. The F being raised on the bonnet is fine when using the normal decal but a bit of a pain when using three tiny strips!

IMG_20200813_072422521_resize_91.jpg

Not perfect but it will do. It passes the 1m test!🙂.

Anyway it's that or I'm building a car called an Ord Mustang...😁

Cheers Nick