Hamburg Harbor Diorama by Dan Vadas - HMV - 1:250 - CARD - DIORAMA

Hi all,

This is definitely my last model, and it will have to remain unfinished due to my health issues. However I did manage to get a long way into it before the eyes and body gave up on me, so I do have a lot of pics I can share with you. I'll have to keep the text down to a minimum I'm afraid.

Ir's a Card (surprise surprise :D ) diorama of the Hamburg docks circa late 1930's complete with a freighter in dock. The kit was published by HMV, and is quite complex. Printing and instructions were very good.

Here's a pic of the cover art :

IMG_6950.JPG

Work starts with the dock, sea and warehouse :

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

IMG_6913.JPG

TBC ................

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

So sad to hear, but very excited to see how far you made it. You’re work is quite the work of art. I recently picked up an HMV and am very glad to hear that the instructions and printing are good.

Just for fun I thought I'd make a few of the various types of boxes and drums to see how much was involved - not too bad considering the drums are only 4 mm high :IMG_6914.JPG

The hull of the freighter, a waterline model of course :

IMG_6915.JPG

IMG_6916.JPG

The decks and hatches are fitted next :

IMG_6917.JPG

IMG_6918.JPG

IMG_6919.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG

IMG_6924.JPG

Followed by the superstructures :

IMG_6925.JPG

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG

TBC ..........

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Various laser-cut rails, a companionway and a winch :

IMG_6929.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6933.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

Bollards, Ventilators and ship-board cranes :

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6949.JPG

TBC ..........

Cheers, Danny

Great work Dan,   always love your card work   -  you are an inspiration to all of us here,   take it easy   you have family here.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

it's a wonderful card model Dan.......hopefully you'll be able to show more that what you've already compiled.   very nice :)   it is good to see you again........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Terrific work, as usual, Danny. I'm sorry that you are having difficulty continuing. If you can't complete this model, I hope you know someone who can and do both the model and you justice.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

2 hours ago, druxey said:

If you can't complete this model, I hope you know someone who can and do both the model and you justice.

One of my grandsons (Khye) who is 21 y.o. has recently bought a house with his fiancee. It has a couple of spare rooms (until rugrats come along :) ), one of which he is making into a trophy/exhibition room. They have both taken a great interest in my models, so I am giving them all the ones I have left.

He has also indicated that he would like to take up modelling of some type as a hobby, and is going to build a workshop in his huge backyard for that purpose. So I am also going to give him my substantial collection of modelling tools, equipment and workbenches.

He's a very smart and responsible lad, so I am hopeful that he will carry on my work, including finishing this kit.

Thanks everyone else for the comments and Likes. More pics of the diorama will follow in the next post.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The four ship's boats and a deadeye for one of the masts. The "lashing" is 0.3mm black wire :

IMG_6951.JPGIMG_6952.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

IMG_6954.JPG

The mostly completed freighter. One of the cranes will be glued on when a length for the cable can be established :

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6957.JPGIMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6960.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

TBC ..........

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The two  Dockyard Cranes :

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6966.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6969.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG

IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

TBC ..........

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Amazing work,  beyond words   beautiful.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The locomotive. Not quite as detailed as the Bulgar I built earlier, but after all it IS 1/10 of the size :

IMG_6972.JPG

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6976 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_6978.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

IMG_6981.JPG

IMG_6982.JPG

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6985.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

TBC ..........

Danny

Cheers, Danny

And finally (for now) three wagons to go behind the loco :

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6996.JPG

IMG_6997.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

I have also built a small truck to go on the dock, but no pics of it yet.

Basically all that needs doing is about 100 boxes and drums, the barges and a few more vehicles, and fitting all assemblies to the base. This might be grandson Khye's first project.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Remember what I said  Dan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Magnificent job as usual Dan. Would you consider a card project more difficult than a similar

type and grade of plastic kit?

We will miss your ability to answer simple questions without making the asker look

stupid.

Best wishes, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

8 hours ago, Tigerdvr said:

Would you consider a card project more difficult than a similar

type and grade of plastic kit?

No, it's just that they both take different skills. I'd regard them equally difficult. Personally I hate painting, and Plastic is full of that.

Cheers, Danny

Wonderful work Danny. It’s great that your grandson will be able to continue your work.

Beautiful and precise work as usual Danny, sad to see this will be your last model but happy to hear that your grandson going to carry on with it.

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

I hope your grandson is watching and learning your techniques. Make sure he starts a log on MSW as well! We'll be watching.I 'm happy to read that he will carry the torch on for you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

8 hours ago, druxey said:

Make sure he starts a log on MSW as well! We'll be watching.I 'm happy to read that he will carry the torch on for you.

That's not set in stone yet David.

If and when he does start modelling he'll certainly be signing into MSW, probably with the Username of "Khye something". I bought this Laptop I'm now using for that express purpose - I've loaded all my modelling files, pics etc onto it so he can go back and reference my past work easily. If (when) he starts modelling I'll donate this computer to him as one of my "tools".

Danny

Cheers, Danny

your usual standard of workmanship Dan........awesome! :)   the loco looks really good........just as much detail as your larger one!    may you be able to go further.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• The title was changed to Hamburg Harbor Diorama by Dan Vadas - HMV - 1:250 - CARD - DIORAMA