F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

37 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking mighty fine bro,   those PE belts are fiddly little critters aren't they?   but they do look the "Dogs ....."   though.

OC.

Thanks OC.....

Fiddly?, you said Fiddly? they are way beyond fiddly into don't breathe on it while assembling territory....

My mind is already considering other options for seatbelts/harnesses in the future... These look nice but are a whole lot of headache to assemble right and if you lose a part? forget it they are done....

There has to be other easier options....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Thanks OC.....

Fiddly?, you said Fiddly? they are way beyond fiddly into don't breathe on it while assembling territory....

My mind is already considering other options for seatbelts/harnesses in the future... These look nice but are a whole lot of headache to assemble right and if you lose a part? forget it they are done....

There has to be other easier options....

I find it helps to secure the top section first - make sure it propper secure  then push the belt down with a bit of super glue under the belt  say applied by a fine tooth pick or similar - then pushed in place with another pick,   then same with the lap belts  - secure the sides first.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Maybe a tiny dot of Tacky Glue first to get it in place. Then flow your CA/superglue into the joint. Have some little squares of paper towels to blot up any excess CA.

I've tacked styrene bracing into a resin car with that, then flowed the CA into the joint. Really need it with the older "flat" kits. Need square corners if you want the roof and floor to fit in. Trapezoids don't work too well. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ok Brothers, I think I'm done with the seat....

DCP_2579.JPG.9836520b1eef8c6826dd5f75a424344c.JPGDCP_2586.JPG.d319bf0d95ba95f1e4b6661bd61dc3de.JPGDCP_2587.JPG.1514e0cc7e08ff5d3a79a63f03edcbab.JPGDCP_2588.JPG.e4f62fa85d3072999bde3182e13ff6a1.JPGDCP_2591.JPG.93e553b91a857b4e451b76ff93b9724f.JPG

Most of that isn't going to show but it's there... I know it is.... {chuckle}

Gonna take a bit of a days break for recovery here and then start assembling of this bird....

As an aside, I will not do this level of detail again, once was enough, most of what was just done will never ever be seen....

I went ahead and took a shot under natural light. the limitations of my camera are apparent...

DCP_2593.JPG.fd01d4ed5a46ca3363ac121e19cf7a2b.JPG

Anyway, Onward...

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

That is as close to the real thing as possible at this scale. Superb work!

Regarding modeller's relaxation I think an accurate description could be warped sense of pleasure as a result of self inflicted pain. I think there's already a word for that...😄

Nick

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

As an aside, I will not do this level of detail again, once was enough, most of what was just done will never ever be seen....

Did that a decade ago with a Tamiya Bradley IFV, kit came with a fully detailed interior. Tricked it all out, painted it, even left the rear ramp in the down position. Can't see any of the detail now unless you shine a flashlight into the interior and even then it is barely visible. Came to conclusion it wasn't worth the effort.

6 hours ago, fnick said:

That is as close to the real thing as possible at this scale. Superb work!

Regarding modeller's relaxation I think an accurate description could be warped sense of pleasure as a result of self inflicted pain. I think there's already a word for that...😄

Nick

Thank you Nick, At least one thing I know now is I can work at that level, but someone is going to have to seriously pay me a lot to go there again...

Masochism is the word, and an apt one as well...... It's when dreams of fidelity to accurate details meets reality..... {chuckle}

Quote:

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Your efforts paid off. Beautiful cockpit.

Thanks Craig, I always wanted to do one of those super detailing jobs. But I should have known better.....

But when the miniature pilot and crew chief show up, they can adjust all the seat straps as needed, cause all the individual adjusters are there... (don't know how they will like the brass straps, but I'll let them figure that one out)

Thank you very much....

Quote:

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Did that a decade ago with a Tamiya Bradley IFV, kit came with a fully detailed interior. Tricked it all out, painted it, even left the rear ramp in the down position. Can't see any of the detail now unless you shine a flashlight into the interior and even then it is barely visible. Came to conclusion it wasn't worth the effort.

Oh yes, I remember when Accurate Armor started producing complete tank interiors and getting crazy money for it... My thinking was why would I want to paint a Mona Lisa, then put it in a closed box with a pinhole as the only way to view it? I've avoided such up till now... 

So I've had my taste of super detailing, and gotten my fill.... And as far as this kit, it needed the cockpit work, no doubt about that, but the seat was quite presentable as it was. I really didn't need to swap seats. 

So I have a magazine cover shot sitting right here on my desktop and I did it..... The true feeling is relief that it is done... (and a slight sense of pride creeping in there which I hate to admit)

Thank you all for the likes and compliments and discussions..... They were definitely motivational.....

Now on with the rest of the build....

Quote:

2 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Nice job on the seat, EG !  

Thank you Jack....

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Oh yes, I remember when Accurate Armor started producing complete tank interiors and getting crazy money for it... My thinking was why would I want to paint a Mona Lisa, then put it in a closed box with a pinhole as the only way to view it? I've avoided such up till now... 

I've got a project coming up soon that will display a full tank interior.

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

I've got a project coming up soon that will display a full tank interior.

Now that is a job, but I've seen them done, as I'm sure you have...

I'll be there....

{I like watching masters at the craft work)

Quote:

Nice work EG glad to see someone else work their way through one of the Eduard torture sheets. I think you did better than I did though. Congratulations 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

52 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Nice work EG glad to see someone else work their way through one of the Eduard torture sheets. I think you did better than I did though. Congratulations 

Thank you Lou, They can be torture that's for sure, (and I put three sets together all made for different models) 

Your's isn't done yet brother so finish comparisons aren't valid at this point. Besides we have to look at the overall model when making such judgment calls and mine isn't done yet either... Thank you for the compliment, It means a lot my friend......

Quote:

Excellent work with that tun and seat,   I think going mad with interior detail work   a comparison I could make  when I had my 2Ltr  Ford Focus  I use to keep cleaning and polishing  the cylinder head cover  and associated bits  - even though 99.9%  of the time they would not be seen  - I think it satisfies our own sense that its been done.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work with that tun and seat,   I think going mad with interior detail work   a comparison I could make  when I had my 2Ltr  Ford Focus  I use to keep cleaning and polishing  the cylinder head cover  and associated bits  - even though 99.9%  of the time they would not be seen  - I think it satisfies our own sense that its been done.

OC.

Thank you my friend, yeah it was a challenge. I also think that most are done just to prove to oneself that you can do it.  The usual budget conscious modeler puts his money in what shows off the skill and artistry. And the guys that do it again and again for the magazines get paid to do it... PE or Resin on a ship or aircraft exterior improves the look especially in the larger scales so there is a viable reason to add those skills to the tool box, but on interiors or areas that will never see the light of day again? Hard to justify....

Quote:

That seat looks great.  Almost too great to be inside the model.   Take it out and set it next to the bird with the story being... seat maintenance.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

That seat looks great.  Almost too great to be inside the model.   Take it out and set it next to the bird with the story being... seat maintenance.

Thank you Mark.... Well, I guess we could throw a wicker basket seat in there like the olden days, get a little "Seat of the Pants" flying in? Put the seat in a display case and just tell the pilot that we had to polish it for the next photo op.... I mean it IS a government operation isn't it? {chuckle}

Really, Thank you, It's appreciated....

Quote:

Ok next update, a very tight cockpit.....

DCP_2595.JPG.2c38c7dc93fd4dff640698217455e8db.JPG

DCP_2596.JPG.9443f5c4f0412358951f12f26213a8ed.JPG

DCP_2597.JPG.180aff605ce5594e08e0b869ff3007bf.JPG

It barely fits in there, I had to alter another couple of parts to make it fit properly......... Now I gotta figure out how much weight to add, this is a tail dragger of a kit especially with that engine back there in the tail... Any suggestions before I button it up..... (I already know I'm leaving the radar out and filling the nose with modeling clay)

EG

Quote:

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Add a few BBs to the nose.

Looks good so far !

Thanks Jack, I thought about that when I couldn't find my stash of modeling clay, so i went to HL and bought a new pack... (Hobby Lobby is now open here) Don't need much just enough to balance out the engine weight in the tail.... there is plenty of room behind the cockpit bulkhead and I'll keep the gun compartment open and radome off until after the landing gear are installed just in case I need to add a bit more....

DCP_2598.JPG.829d9d2d4eac1088f69d177f1e491fc4.JPG

One ounce of modeling clay behind the cockpit that should be sufficient...

Onward....

Quote:

Ok it's buttoned up waiting for glue...

DCP_2602.JPG.865ef24dd6ff43f36ee0ed576ca70163.JPG

Still gotta get the rubber bands off the joints.....

And the cockpit in the fuselage...

Right side...

DCP_2601.JPG.49bd6840f42aec65433ddaac05f8bed6.JPG

Left Side...

DCP_2600.JPG.60d051b124b3baecde0690dda2398588.JPG

Instrument Panel.....

DCP_2599.JPG.439fd1d11916279744f803863dabd2e1.JPG

I think it fits well ....

EG

Quote:

On 6/11/2020 at 7:04 AM, Egilman said:

Ok Brothers, I think I'm done with the seat....

So it looks, but if you are done with it, send it over, so I can have a closer look. A lot of Eduard details ...

Not my type of plane, but you seem to be moving along very nicely EG

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking great bro,   is that a dry fit with the bands?   looks a nice fit  with out gluing  - no issues with the fit of the tub by the look of it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Got some spring clamps to hold that together? Keeps the bands off the seams. It's a big model.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, cog said:

So it looks, but if you are done with it, send it over, so I can have a closer look. A lot of Eduard details ...

Not my type of plane, but you seem to be moving along very nicely EG

Well, I'll have to wait till the guys putting it on display are finished polishing it up before sending it over, as long as the pilot is happy with his wicker seat....

Thanks Carl, yeah it's a big'un, but it's actually a fairly simple build, I just complicated the heck out of it with my conversion.... it will move a bit faster now that I'm past the cockpit....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking great bro,   is that a dry fit with the bands?   looks a nice fit  with out gluing  - no issues with the fit of the tub by the look of it.

OC.

Thanks Brother, yeah it's a dry fit getting ready for glue and yeah the modified cockpit tub fit in perfectly....

Quote:

28 minutes ago, Canute said:

Got some spring clamps to hold that together? Keeps the bands off the seams. It's a big model.

I've got clamps big enough to do the job, it's just that in my experience with a fuselage this large they tend to spread it at the seam lines. The bands provide equal pressure all around and hold it in proper shape while the glue dries. the issue is like you point out, the glue will wick along with the bands marking the surface..... There is a solution which keeps the even pressure of the bands and get them off the joint.......

DCP_2603.JPG.6aabd7d34096967d78702c9e2a152596.JPG

Those are 1/4" polyurethane tubes slipped under the bands on each side of the joints. it keeps the pressure pulling into the center while lifting the bands off the surface of the joint...the rear band is resting on the upper and lower stabilizer fillets which were molded into one side so there is no joint along the edge...

Bottom side...

DCP_2604.JPG.517d5320ba9c2b03082d2f51ca0da4bf.JPG

Now the girder for the main landing gear will probably have to be clamped after the fuselage is joined, but this affords even tight pressure all around without distorting the shape.... Should be minimal filling needed, the two sides fit very well together... (but there is a slight ridge that will need to be dealt with)

Ready for glue...

EG

Quote: