HM Cutter by Edwardkenway - 1:48 scale from Caldercraft plans

2 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

You've done a fine planking job with your Alert.

Personally if you like what you've done that's what counts 😉

Thanks! It’s simply the progression of adding new challenges to the next build. I’m very happy with planking the Alert; for next time it might be interesting to try to mimic the actual plank lengths instead of full runs (but all that sounds great when you aren’t actually doing it 🙂).

5 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Thanks! It’s simply the progression of adding new challenges to the next build. I’m very happy with planking the Alert; for next time it might be interesting to try to mimic the actual plank lengths instead of full runs (but all that sounds great when you aren’t actually doing it 🙂).

Yes I think Chuck has designed Winnie with realistic plank lengths, should be fun to do;)

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

So with the planking finished I moved on to the inboard bulwarks, so as not to make them to wide I used .5mm strips, plus they bend round the inner curve of the bow easier. 20200819_114957.thumb.jpg.90f991304a9caab112572bbaaf3f3019.jpg

they have also had one coat of paint (tamiya flat red). The main wales were masked and also had one coat of dull black. 20200819_115052.thumb.jpg.3e298576a50f63abff9df52d24643db9.jpg

Now I wasn't sure how to do the transom so have used some of the .5mm offcuts sliced down to 4mm.20200819_115031.thumb.jpg.50b213397b36900dfdd6fe426b6220ec.jpg

once it is trimmed to fit and some decorative trim is added, hopefully it will look better. 

Thanks for all the comments, likes and for dropping in! It is most welcome and encouraging. 

Cheers till next time 😃👍

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Nice work so far. Do you plan to add some decorations like sheer rails?  

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Just found your build, Edward! Pulling a stool in back. Nice work !

Welcome Jack and thanks.

I'm sort of tucked away  in scratch  build😉

1 hour ago, captain_hook said:

Nice work so far. Do you plan to add some decorations like sheer rails?  

At the moment I've not planned that far ahead, I'm sort of winging it at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion 😃.

Current builds;

Completed:

14 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'm sort of tucked away  in scratch  build😉

Nothing wrong with being the "mental" section with the rest of us, Edward.  She's looking quite fine.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Nothing wrong with being the "mental" section with the rest of us, Edward.  She's looking quite fine.

Thanks Mark, trouble is I feel at home here🤪.

I've attempted to make some moulding trim, 

20200819_220227.thumb.jpg.1b4ea3ef56b9f3c8025916d77a3c577e.jpg

I filed the profile on an old brass hinge, passable but a little disc cutter would be a better tool to make the profiles. 20200820_120211.thumb.jpg.8da6fbcaf0a7a5c36b83a19d367e3961.jpg

First pieces of trim fitted.20200820_120219.thumb.jpg.0b279a5efa8b412b52d8de0471f5e6d2.jpg

I think I'll go and see what rotary tools are on offer at the local DIY stores. 

Thanks for the likes and comments 👍

Till next time cheers. 

Looking at the photos in this thread has made me think I really need to keep my bench tidier 🤔

Current builds;

Completed:

Edward, I’ve tried for years, wether it be wood work, leather work, or model ships to keep a tidy work bench. I have come to the conclusion that some just do not have it in their DNA. Just go with the flow! In the end, it’s what comes off the bench. Not what’s left on it. The cutter is looking great!

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

35 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Edward, I’ve tried for years, wether it be wood work, leather work, or model ships to keep a tidy work bench. I have come to the conclusion that some just do not have it in their DNA. Just go with the flow! In the end, it’s what comes off the bench. Not what’s left on it. The cutter is looking great!

Thank you. 

18 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Workbench is neater than mine, Edward.  Nice job on the planking and moldings.

Thanks Jack!

It's a poor  thing though when you're scrabbling around for the knife/glue/pencil etc. and then the piece of wood you want is on the floor 🙄

Current builds;

Completed:

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

It's a poor  thing though when you're scrabbling around for the knife/glue/pencil etc

Yep ! Know the feeling well !

Like a desk at the office, a clean work bench is the sign of a sick mind and work not getting done.   I'm curious what you'll find in rotary cutters as I have yet to find any that will do the moulding.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Like a desk at the office, a clean work bench is the sign of a sick mind and work not getting done

At last - an argument in favour of untidyness! Can I use this one with my wife?

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm curious what you'll find in rotary cutters as I have yet to find any that will do the moulding.  

For making the scraper for the mouldings as my files are quite chunky and I thought that the thin carbon cutting wheels would make it easier and with a bit more finesse. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Ah.. got it.  I just use razor blade for the moulding cutter that's been shaped using some standard Dremel grinding disks and cut-off wheels.  If I need something smaller, then a small file.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good morning, started on the deck planking. When I did the Sherbourne deck I wanted to do a margin and nibbing? but was beyond my skill level and probably still is but I'm gonna try anyway. 

Starting with the margin I traced the outline of the deck and transferred it to some card and then cut into the different parts. These templates were then glued to some wood sheet(not a clue what it is) and cut them out 20200823_090926.thumb.jpg.bcdd67a07f592f70a35c09cdda143338.jpg

after lots of sanding, filing and remakes, I got something I'm happy? with,20200823_091010.thumb.jpg.37e162be81e3c68a0c073f4d7af62f35.jpg

and glued them down. 20200823_094331.thumb.jpg.b8ad81cdb2c441e244ad0158d2d5627e.jpg

To finish for now I've placed and glued the centre plank and one either side. Going to trawl through deck planking articles now to see if I can get some tips on nibbing or joggling. 

Thanks for looking in and hitting the like button. 

Cheers till next time 😉

Edit: sorry about the poor lighting on the photos. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Margin plank looking good there. For the nibbling i would make simple. Plank should not be more than half width at the end so lay in place butting against last plank, mark half width point on plank, then mark where on side of plank at the point the margin plank is revealed. Remove plank and cut to the waste side of this line. Lay back in place and with a very sharp scalpel cut along plank edge to remove portion of margin plank. You should now have an exact fit.

Two thinks to check, wood grain direction on margin so does not drag scalpel away from plank edge and where plank falls at the joggling joints of the sections of margin planks. The second is more for aesthetic reasons.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Well done for having a go at margin planks. I tried for the first time on Speedy and found it well worth the effort.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

22 hours ago, Thunder said:

Margin plank looking good there. For the nibbling i would make simple. Plank should not be more than half width at the end so lay in place butting against last plank, mark half width point on plank, then mark where on side of plank at the point the margin plank is revealed. Remove plank and cut to the waste side of this line. Lay back in place and with a very sharp scalpel cut along plank edge to remove portion of margin plank. You should now have an exact fit.

Two thinks to check, wood grain direction on margin so does not drag scalpel away from plank edge and where plank falls at the joggling joints of the sections of margin planks. The second is more for aesthetic reasons.

Thankyou, I have started with this method and upto now it seems to be working for me. 

16 hours ago, DelF said:

Well done for having a go at margin planks. I tried for the first time on Speedy and found it well worth the effort.

Derek

Thank you Derek, I must admit it was your Speedy deck that decide me to give it a go, but don't worry I know you've got a lot on with Glenn's cannon rigging and spars so I won't be asking if you could do it for me😉

20200824_101437.thumb.jpg.001add16e7e3da9ba58163237486afd8.jpg

these planks are just placed and not glued, and I'm quite happy with the results as this is the first time I've tried this.

Thanks to all who have stopped by and hit the button👍

Till next time, 

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Looking really good! 

31 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I know you've got a lot on with Glenn's cannon rigging and spars so I won't be asking if you could do it for me😉

😂

33 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I know you've got a lot on with Glenn's cannon rigging and spars so I won't be asking if you could do it for me😉

You don't need me to help, judging by your work so far!👍

Cheers, Derek

Thanks alot Tim and Derek. 

Got two or three hours at the bench tonight. Carried on with the nibbing/joggling, completed the port bow section. The coloured lines are solely for my benefit as I would totally mess up on the butt shift pattern if it's not marked on the false deck🙄20200824_222147.thumb.jpg.e4fefd041c23be682139dfec76a88101.jpg

also did the fancy planking by the main hatch. Saw @mugje do this on his build, so since I'm trying new things, I'd give that an attempt as well. Lots of filing, happy that the Cedar deck planks are easy to shape. 20200824_222139.thumb.jpg.610f09e59b089cf7481f93b97d981043.jpg

next time I'll fill in the port stern deck and maybe make the hatch coamings. They will have to be mahogany as I have some 10x3mm  which I can rip down. 

Thanks all for the likes and comments, till next time. 

Cheers 😉👍

Current builds;

Completed:

Very nice work Edward  - love what you are doing with shaping around the center hatch  (very clever and tidy idea)   I appreciate  what you are going through with the decking  mine was the same on my  Greyhound build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you OC and Mugje. 

To all who looked in and the likes 👍thanks. 

So today saw the completion of the port side deck, the next task is the starboard side. 

20200825_160004.thumb.jpg.c58fc2d33640bcbcdf1d2793733a4c5e.jpg

Take no notice of the coamings as they are ones I made up for Triton and are not quite the right size! Only a couple of mm small but it sticks out like a sore thumb. 20200825_155908.thumb.jpg.26998ba7dc53844c5a55c4111c1a0156.jpg

Once I've finished on the starboard it will be getting a scrape and light sanding before a coat of varnish. 

Thanks till next time Cheers 😃👍

Current builds;

Completed:

With the weather bad and being at home for a few days I've been able to crack on with the starboard side deck. 20200826_095147.thumb.jpg.f9091451258ec08db5e6445bddaac44c.jpg

started at the bow again. 20200826_095137.thumb.jpg.39867482721a816b201de9508e536289.jpg

I've noticed on the nibbing at the stern there is one more cut on  the starboard then there is on the port. As all is glued now I'm going to leave it as is and hopefully once the deck is populated it won't be noticeable 😏20200826_095058.thumb.jpg.97db1dc24b1e8e7dadc1978bc3d3be37.jpg

Thanks for all the likes, comments and looking in. 

Cheers till next time 😁

Current builds;

Completed:

Thanks Jack 😉

Thank to everyone for the likes. 

Going to take a break on the Cutter for a while as I've been having some practice with my table saw and feel confident enough to start ripping some planking for Winchelsea, since I've now (hopefully) done the stern, plus she's sat looking a bit forlorn. 

I will be back though when I need a rest from planking 😁👍

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

On 8/24/2020 at 4:27 AM, Edwardkenway said:

a lot on with Glenn's cannon rigging and spars

I’ve got some other work in mind as well, now that you’ve brought it up maybe some margin planks 😂🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose