LA VENUS 1782 by giampieroricci - French Frigate - Scale 1:96

The accuracy of your mitres and joinery  at this scale is incredible. It can be so unforgiving. Great work.

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

It must be very satisfying to achieve this after you set yourself this task. Seeing it makes me feel what I imagine to be your pleasure in this work. Thanks for sharing.

It would be nice if you could add details about your work methods, techniques and how you overcome problems you have come across.

Tony

9 hours ago, tkay11 said:

It must be very satisfying to achieve this after you set yourself this task. Seeing it makes me feel what I imagine to be your pleasure in this work. Thanks for sharing.

It would be nice if you could add details about your work methods, techniques and how you overcome problems you have come across.

Tony

Working on this scale is really difficult; It is necessary to be very precise because a small error of a few tenths of a millimeter is enough and the measurements no longer return ....
In the work you have to caress the wood, obviously only with manual tools, perfectly sharp chisels, fine sandpaper, precision tweezers, double magnifying glass (now I don't see it more closely).
The gluing must also be very delicate and the excess glue must be removed immediately. For the hold compartments the thickness of the boards is 0.4 mm, and the glue must take hold on this minimum thickness .....
But this scale is very exciting for me!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to keep reminding myself how small this model is compared the others you've done.   Beautiful work you're doing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This model would be impressive at 1:48.  It is doubly so at this small scale.  I will be following your build more closely now as it gives me hope in the possibilities of small scale builds.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I can't stop being amazed at your superb work on the ship at this scale!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Such fantastic work in such a tiny scale.  Your leve of detail is amazing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead with the work a bit.
I completed the guns bridge. It is not very precise, I had to adapt some solutions with the drawings of the structure, some measures did not match, and above all there is a serious error in the fixing of the double pulley for the maneuver of the rudder which is not fixed to a beam, but I could not move it so as not to compromise the perpendicularity with the steering wheel.

40.jpg.54413fd430e1997483a736064aff0964.jpg

41.jpg.9c8e88ee89b147f5fce6120597d229ec.jpg

43.jpg.146734710a0de941f7868e33f9623bc0.jpg

28.jpg.487c7851baf62b9d1860f9734fe03e43.jpg

29.jpg.70461bf6a01f681f52b60ed15807854c.jpg

31.jpg.a894d91c4128b768f3e20b8bee229ea3.jpg

33.jpg.f8bb93763b702139df55301c49a7e133.jpg

34.jpg.22a908461aea8f753613d40c23c5128f.jpg

36.jpg.e9b88e6168f44973a776f877bce051d2.jpg

37.jpg.dcae6a12c07a808ec613205b98fb9312.jpg

So much detail at such a small scale.  Love it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...